Go Back > > >
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:53 am #16

Programs: WN A list, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, National EE
10 year + bump.

Any news on A380 coming to ORD any time soon? I know they were working on new gates that can accept it and the new longer runways...
Putnik is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 17, 7:58 am #17

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Plat Premier/SPG Plat; Amex MR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putnik View Post
10 year + bump.

Any news on A380 coming to ORD any time soon? I know they were working on new gates that can accept it and the new longer runways...
10 year + bump....nice

And yes, May of 2018. British Airways is supposedly starting LHR<->ORD with A380.

http://chicagotribune.com/busine...808-story.html

Quote:
London-bound passengers who want to fly the A380 will need to take the British Airways flight departing Chicago at 5:30 p.m. The A380 will fly the 10:50 a.m. flight from London to Chicago.
More details in the article.
goodeats21 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 17, 12:22 pm #18

Thanks for the news.
Old Oct 16, 17, 12:25 pm #19

When Emirates did an A380 test-run to O'Hare last summer, the jetbridge scraped the side of the plane. And I do not believe the Terminal 5 construction has yet got to that new A380-ready gate. So boarding may be interesting in the short-term for that BA A380 next year.
venomtrilogy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 6:48 am #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy View Post
When Emirates did an A380 test-run to O'Hare last summer, the jetbridge scraped the side of the plane. And I do not believe the Terminal 5 construction has yet got to that new A380-ready gate. So boarding may be interesting in the short-term for that BA A380 next year.
It's ready...has been since EK came in. The bridge incident was caused by operator error, not the bridge itself.
ords is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 17, 6:01 pm #21
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ords View Post
It's ready...has been since EK came in. The bridge incident was caused by operator error, not the bridge itself.
The question is if ORD will see regular whale service before they’re all retired.
milepig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 17, 5:57 am #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
The question is if ORD will see regular whale service before they’re all retired.
Yes, next year BA has announced and planned 295/294 to operate it with one.
ords is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 2:26 pm #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
10 year + bump....nice

And yes, May of 2018. British Airways is supposedly starting LHR<->ORD with A380.

http://chicagotribune.com/busine...808-story.html

More details in the article.
I realize it's probably deliberate in order to maximize connection opportunities when arriving at LHR and ORD, but those are my least favorite times to depart ORD and LHR. Departing ORD at 5:30 pm means arriving LHR at midnight Chicago time with no sleep on the plane, and departing LHR at 10:50 am means leaving Oxfordshire at 6 am.
TribalistMeathead is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 3:51 pm #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
I realize it's probably deliberate in order to maximize connection opportunities when arriving at LHR and ORD, but those are my least favorite times to depart ORD and LHR. Departing ORD at 5:30 pm means arriving LHR at midnight Chicago time with no sleep on the plane, and departing LHR at 10:50 am means leaving Oxfordshire at 6 am.
That's about the time that most Trans Atlantic flights leave ORD.
Old Today, 3:55 pm #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putnik View Post
That's about the time that most Trans Atlantic flights leave ORD.
Both AA and BA have flights to LHR that depart later than 5:30 pm, and I'd much rather be on one of those.
TribalistMeathead is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:00 pm #26

Yes, but not much later. BA was around 9 p.m. last time I flew 5 years ago. It's still not sleeping hours for me though as I don't go to bed till midnight usually.