Go Back > >
Old Oct 18, 17, 4:29 pm - Wikipost
Cpi-Web Forums Thread Wiki: Milesbuzz: Canada
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: imverge
Wiki Link
CURRENT PROMOS

Best Western Rewards® Platinum Plus MasterCard® There is no annual fee. - Earn 40,000 Best Western Rewards® points on your first purchase – qualifying you for two free nights - Will be awarded "Gold Status" upon first use of your credit card and "Diamond Status" when you spend $10,000 in eligible purchases within one year - 1.99% promotional annual interest rate (AIR) on balance transfers for the first 10 full months - ... Note: the link that's prominently on MBNA's website only offers 20,000 points.

National Bank MasterCard $150 AF, 30,000 points https://nbc.ca/en/personal/credi...rld-elite.html

MBNA Rewards World Elite MasterCard: FYF ($89 AF), 10,000 bonus points

MBNA Alaska Airlines MasterCard: $75 AF (Sign up through GCR to get $60), 25,000 miles ($1k min. spend), companion fare discount code (US$99 + Taxes). Cpi-Web discussion thread here: http://cpi-web.ru/forum/alask...astercard.html

Capital One® Aspire Travel™ Platinum MasterCard®
Get 10,000 bonus reward miles when you spend $500 on net purchases in the first 3 months after account opening - a value of $100 in travel - No Annual Fee - Platinum MasterCard benefits, including Travel Accident insurance and Baggage Delay coverage
http://capitalone.ca/credit-card...-29-14-49-C230

BMO AIR MILES World Elite Mastercard

First year FREE ($120 annual)
3,000 Air Miles (1K when you first use card + 2K when you spend $3K/90 days)
Companion Flight Rebate
Priority Pass membership + two annual complimentary passes ($150 value)

https://bmo.com/main/personal/cr...te-mastercard/



Canadian American Express Cards: a separate Cpi-Web thread (2017 discussion)
(2016 discussion on Canadian Amex) separate Cpi-Web thread
(2015 discussion on Canadian Amex) separate Cpi-Web thread


FYF = First Year Free • AF = Annual Fee • GRC = Great Canadian Rebates • RFD = Red Flag Deals




Print Wikipost

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:41 pm #4381

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by viracocha View Post
Did anyone get an email about Marriott Rewards MORE? Seems to be similar to ebates, available in Canada and UK (Not sure about US). Has quite a few vendors including Best Buy and Amazon.ca. Amazon is showing 5 points per $ which is pretty good. Haven't had a chance to really look into it but it looks promising.
Looks good - especially for the first purchase 1000 point bonus!

The points guy has a good story on the program (although this is US featured):

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/mar...s-more-portal/

I'm already getting this confused with 'More Rewards' - which a Save-On-Foods rewards program for us out in the west...
pokee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:05 pm #4382

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: YYC
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by viracocha View Post
Did anyone get an email about Marriott Rewards MORE? Seems to be similar to ebates, available in Canada and UK (Not sure about US). Has quite a few vendors including Best Buy and Amazon.ca. Amazon is showing 5 points per $ which is pretty good. Haven't had a chance to really look into it but it looks promising.
I didn't get an email but I saw it on the blogs. Earning rates seem to depend on some sort of criteria (status, stays, nights?) as mine is showing 6pts on Amazon.ca.
zoqfotpik is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:10 pm #4383

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik View Post
I didn't get an email but I saw it on the blogs. Earning rates seem to depend on some sort of criteria (status, stays, nights?) as mine is showing 6pts on Amazon.ca.
Interesting. Are you Marriott plat? You're getting more points in most of those, some are the same. I'm gold.
viracocha is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:38 pm #4384

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: YYC
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 799
Yes I am plat.
zoqfotpik is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:44 pm #4385

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by viracocha View Post
Interesting. Are you Marriott plat? You're getting more points in most of those, some are the same. I'm gold.
I've logged in twice today, and I got a slight variation in points earning...weird...Amazon originally was 2 points, now it's 5 points; Apple was originally 2 points, now it's 1 point; The Bay - 4points, Body Shop - 6 points, and Indigo 2 points, both times.

Very strange...
pokee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 9:46 pm #4386

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,366
I made a purchase at bestbuy.ca via Marriott More app earlier today, it was 1 point per $2 spent, plus bonus points. All points have instantly posted to my Marriott account when I placed the order.

Now I open the app and bestbuy.ca is gone from the list. Amazon now 6x, was 5x. I am Marriott gold.
echino is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 17, 1:02 pm #4387

Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
Posts: 905
Plastiq + AMEX is back !
MasterGeek is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 11:37 am #4388

Join Date: May 2017
Programs: AP, BA, AS, UA, SQ
Posts: 1
As reported on various sites, Starwood is running a promo where you save 35% on buying SPG Starpoints when purchasing 5,000 or more, up to 30,000, through December 29. Some talk about if you already purchased the standard 30k max this year, you may still purchase up to 10k with this promo.

FAQ states there's bonus points when paying with SPG Amex... does that include the Canadian ones?

If it does, with no tax, but bills in USD so tack on the 2.5% foreign currency fee, buying the max 30k, I think it works out to ~2.8c/pt CAD. Not bad, not a slam dunk though.
YKMV is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:38 pm #4389

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, Avios, SPG
Posts: 226
This just in:

Convert points from hotel loyalty programs to Aeroplan and get 30% more miles by Dec. 11, 2017.

https://aeroplan.com/Fall2017Con...entLanguage=en

Note that the last conversion bonus in the Summer was 35%.

Last edited by loun80; Nov 6, 17 at 12:40 pm Reason: added info
loun80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 1:41 pm #4390

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, Avios, SPG
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik View Post
I didn't get an email but I saw it on the blogs. Earning rates seem to depend on some sort of criteria (status, stays, nights?) as mine is showing 6pts on Amazon.ca.
Has anyone actually tried to buy something through Marriott Rewards MORE? I don't have an option to pay with my credit card. The only option for me to pay is with my Marriott Rewards points. This is with Bestbuy.ca through Marriott Rewards MORE.

Last edited by loun80; Nov 6, 17 at 1:52 pm
loun80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 4:43 pm #4391

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by YKMV View Post
As reported on various sites, Starwood is running a promo where you save 35% on buying SPG Starpoints when purchasing 5,000 or more, up to 30,000, through December 29. Some talk about if you already purchased the standard 30k max this year, you may still purchase up to 10k with this promo.

FAQ states there's bonus points when paying with SPG Amex... does that include the Canadian ones?

If it does, with no tax, but bills in USD so tack on the 2.5% foreign currency fee, buying the max 30k, I think it works out to ~2.8c/pt CAD. Not bad, not a slam dunk though.
Still worthwhile for me, because I bought some and used them for a value of about $0.07 per point for a SoHo hotel room (both in US$). Thanks for the tip because it helped me when I was just looking at booking a NY stay with spg points.
Calliopeflyer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:07 pm #4392

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YYJ
Posts: 1,857
Double Avios for purchases on your RBC BA Visa credit card Nov/Dec '17

"You can collect double Avios on any purchases you make with your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card this November. That's 2 Avios for every $1 CAD spent on qualifying net purchases and 4 Avios for every $1 CAD when you shop with British Airways and British Airways Holidays."

I had a terrible problem with this same deal last year. The advertising clearly stated that the double Avios were on purchases made with your card between Nov 1 and Nov 31. But that wasn't true. My statement period ends on the 21st of every month. I had a lot of purchases to make for a new house so i made sure to wait for November to make them. I didn't get the bonus avios on my november statement but i did on my december statement. problem was that i only used the card for the last week of november because i prefer to use my normal RBC Avion card and transfer to BA when there's a bonus. much more lucrative.

i finally did get the avios. in fact, i got quite a few more than they should have given me because the people who work for these programs have the IQ of mayonnaise.

This year they have explained the terms better which is what i told them to do last year. "Offer is valid on qualifying net purchases posted to your December 2017 statement of your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card provided your account is in good standing. Offer begins at your statement start date in November (anywhere between November 3 and 27 depending on your billing cycle) and runs for a 30 day period thereafter ("Qualifying Period")." much clearer this time.
BenSenise is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:22 am #4393

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSenise View Post
"You can collect double Avios on any purchases you make with your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card this November. That's 2 Avios for every $1 CAD spent on qualifying net purchases and 4 Avios for every $1 CAD when you shop with British Airways and British Airways Holidays."

I had a terrible problem with this same deal last year. The advertising clearly stated that the double Avios were on purchases made with your card between Nov 1 and Nov 31. But that wasn't true. My statement period ends on the 21st of every month. I had a lot of purchases to make for a new house so i made sure to wait for November to make them. I didn't get the bonus avios on my november statement but i did on my december statement. problem was that i only used the card for the last week of november because i prefer to use my normal RBC Avion card and transfer to BA when there's a bonus. much more lucrative.

i finally did get the avios. in fact, i got quite a few more than they should have given me because the people who work for these programs have the IQ of mayonnaise.

This year they have explained the terms better which is what i told them to do last year. "Offer is valid on qualifying net purchases posted to your December 2017 statement of your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card provided your account is in good standing. Offer begins at your statement start date in November (anywhere between November 3 and 27 depending on your billing cycle) and runs for a 30 day period thereafter ("Qualifying Period")." much clearer this time.
Better just to have the RBC Avion and convert to Avios, and get the transfer bonus when they come up (when IS the next one coming, BTW?!).

For this deal with the BA Visa, these new terms are still wordy and confusing...
loun80 likes this.
pokee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:36 pm #4394
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Gold, AS MVP
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
...

For this deal with the BA Visa, these new terms are still wordy and confusing...
So just to clarify, if your statement closes Nov 21st lets say, would this be for the purchases made from Nov 21st to Dec 21st?? Or would it be for the purchases made Nov1-Nov 21st??
smilee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:25 pm #4395

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YYJ
Posts: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Better just to have the RBC Avion and convert to Avios, and get the transfer bonus when they come up (when IS the next one coming, BTW?!).
Not necessarily. For one, we don't know if and when there will be another transfer bonus, and two, we don't know how much the bonus will be. in any case, the most i've seen it is 50% which means 1.85 Avios per CAD. This bonus is for 2 Avios per CAD. Not a huge difference but a difference none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilee View Post
So just to clarify, if your statement closes Nov 21st lets say, would this be for the purchases made from Nov 21st to Dec 21st?? Or would it be for the purchases made Nov1-Nov 21st??
I believe that it means that you'll get the double avios for purchases from Nov 21 to Dec 21 if your statement date closes on the 21st since it states "Offer is valid on qualifying net purchases posted to your December 2017 statement of your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card provided your account is in good standing."
BenSenise is offline Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
- FlyerTalk - Archive - Top