Go Back > > >
Old Oct 17, 17, 5:39 pm #1
Original Poster

LATAM to fly BOS-GRU, Summer 2018

Announcement

http://massport.com/massport/med...l-next-summer/

Quote:
LATAM Airlines will fly between Boston and São Paulo summer 2018

BOSTON – Boston’s first nonstop flight to Brazil will begin next summer with the launch of LATAM Airlines Brazil’s service from Boston to São Paulo – the 54th international destination to be served by Logan through its newly upgraded International Terminal E.

LATAM will operate year-round service from Boston to São Paulo, a city of almost 12 million people with a flourishing economy, São Paulo is the financial capital of Brazil and the largest healthcare hub in Latin America. The state of São Paulo is a hub for education much like Massachusetts and is home to more than 500 universities.

“Massachusetts is a global community, home to a large and vibrant Brazilian population and businesses large and small looking for a competitive edge in one of the world’s most robust economies,” said Governor Charlie Baker. “This new nonstop flight to São Paulo will provide new opportunities for all and make Brazil more conveniently accessible to the Commonwealth’s residents and employers.”

Boston will be LATAM’s sixth destination in the United States, joining the ranks of Miami, Orlando, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and New York. LATAM Airlines Group serves more than 140 destinations in 25 countries with hubs in São Paulo, Brazil, Lima, Peru and Santiago, Chile. It is also a member of the one world Alliance along with 14 other major airlines including American Airlines and British Airways.

“The addition of nonstop service to São Paulo means another major South American gateway city is now connected directly to Boston’s visitor industry and diversified economic base,” said Mayor Martin J. Walsh. “This opportunity will not only provide more efficient travel for customers but also opportunities for social, education and economic development for both Boston and São Paulo.”

During the past decade, the number of international nonstop destinations from Logan has doubled from 27 to 54 and international passengers now account for 16 percent of its travelers. International passengers are predicted to be the fastest growing component of airport business. In 2016, 6.5 million international passengers traveled through Logan’s Terminal E.

“Connecting New England with the global economy is a key part of Massport’s mission. Offering nonstop service to Brazil, one of the world’s largest economies, has been a target of ours for some time,” said Massport CEO Thomas P. Glynn. “We are excited to welcome LATAM to Logan to provide this service that will connect not only our economies, but families and students as well.”

Massachusetts is home to the second largest foreign born Brazilian population in the United States with over 60,000 residents; Brazilians also make up 2 percent of the population of Boston. Four of the top ten cities with the most residents born in Brazil are in Massachusetts; Everett, Framingham, Marlborough and Malden. Additionally, according to The New York Times, Massachusetts residents are more likely to visit Brazil than anyone else in the United States.

Boston Logan offers nonstop service to 75 domestic and 54 international destinations and served more than 36 million passengers last year. Logan offers nonstop service to South America, Central America, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. From Boston, passengers can fly nonstop to more than 30 countries.

Sustaining Massachusetts’ competitive edge in international travel is critical to the state’s highly travel-dependent and diversified economy; spread across sectors such as biotechnology, healthcare, education, and medical scientific research. Massport has worked to increase the number of options for international nonstop flights, which help make Boston more attractive to foreign companies to locate U.S. facilities in the Commonwealth.
radiowell is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 5:58 pm #2

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Excellent news! Congrats, and well done to Massport.
lhl12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 17, 10:45 am #3
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Seems a bit like an oddball route. Is any subsidy involved?

Logic would suggest that Boston doesn't have a lot of O/D traffic to GRU, and it also doesn't have a ton of feed -- especially Oneworld feed. It's also a hop, skip and a jump "in the right direction" to NYC, which has a lot of South American feed.

If LATAM wanted to experiment with a new Northeast USA city, I would think it would be PHL, where their partner AA has lots of connecting flights.
iahphx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 17, 1:47 pm #4
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Logic would suggest that Boston doesn't have a lot of O/D traffic to GRU
Massachusetts has a significant community of Brazilian immigrants and descendants, and of course their families. I've already alerted a number of them that I know about this flight, at least one of whom will be using this flight heavily once it begins, probably even in paid business. They're very much looking forward to the flight beginning. I wish it had started before I moved to Austin as I would have used it a bit as well. It also should work well for onward connections to Argentina and Uruguay.

From the press release:

Quote:
Massachusetts is home to the second largest foreign born Brazilian population in the United States with over 60,000 residents; Brazilians also make up 2 percent of the population of Boston. Four of the top ten cities with the most residents born in Brazil are in Massachusetts; Everett, Framingham, Marlborough and Malden. Additionally, according to The New York Times, Massachusetts residents are more likely to visit Brazil than anyone else in the United States.
TheBOSman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 17, 2:35 pm #5
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
Quote:
Seems a bit like an oddball route. Is any subsidy involved?

Logic would suggest that Boston doesn't have a lot of O/D traffic to GRU, and it also doesn't have a ton of feed -- especially Oneworld feed. It's also a hop, skip and a jump "in the right direction" to NYC, which has a lot of South American feed.

If LATAM wanted to experiment with a new Northeast USA city, I would think it would be PHL, where their partner AA has lots of connecting flights.
Of the three US cities with the largest Brazilian population -- NYC, Boston and Miami -- Boston was the only without nonstop service to Brazil.
Blumie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 17, 9:28 pm #6
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Of the three US cities with the largest Brazilian population -- NYC, Boston and Miami -- Boston was the only without nonstop service to Brazil.
That's a fun factoid, and seems to explain the route selection. How/Why did the Brazilians wind up in Boston?

EDIT: Here's some data on this: it's true, there are a lot of Brazilians in Boston. The theory is that they initially migrated to communities with existing Portuguese-speaking immigrants.

https://migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states

Whether this is a large enough population to justify a nonstop to GRU, I have no idea. It does seem like most new USA to Latin America flights by foreign carriers do wind up "working" though.

Last edited by iahphx; Oct 31, 17 at 10:55 am Reason: more
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:00 am #7
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Quote:
EDIT: Here's some data on this: it's true, there are a lot of Brazilians in Boston. The theory is that they initially migrated to communities with existing Portuguese-speaking immigrants.

https://migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states
Did you doubt assertions upthread? As someone who lives in the BOS area and has multiple Brazilian bakeries, coffee shops, social clubs, restaurants, and Portuguese-speaking churches all within walking distance of my house - I can believe it.

Interested to see if award inventory will be accessible on this route. This just may be the impetus for me to splurge on a Brazilian visa.
JY1024 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 4:11 pm #8
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JY1024 View Post
Did you doubt assertions upthread? As someone who lives in the BOS area and has multiple Brazilian bakeries, coffee shops, social clubs, restaurants, and Portuguese-speaking churches all within walking distance of my house - I can believe it.

Interested to see if award inventory will be accessible on this route. This just may be the impetus for me to splurge on a Brazilian visa.
Just wait for the new year when the simpler procedure kicks in. It will still cost you $160, but you won't have to endure the many hours I spent figuring out their glitchy visa web form and visiting the Brazilian consulate.

My hunch is that it will be easier to get seats on this flight than out of NYC, but we'll see. LATAM award inventory is a riddle wrapped in an enigma. If you're looking for premium class space, logic would certainly suggest more expense-account biz travellers and ultra wealthy leisure travellers in NYC than in BOS (not that BOS is bereft of this class, but they should be fewer in number).