Go Back > > >
Old Oct 11, 17, 9:21 am #1
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
With a Week in Copenhagen, is it worth it to take a trip to Stockholm?

I found a cheap fare to CPH next March, and we're thinking of snagging it for a family trip. If we spend a week there, is it worth a side trip to Stockholm, or better just to stay in and around CPH?

Was thinking maybe 3 days in each place as the alternative.
SRQ Guy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:52 am #2

Programs: Scandic, DY, SK and AY. ClubONE
That's something only you can decide.
tsastor is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 17, 6:46 am #3
:D!

Programs: BA*G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver, Hilton Spire
A "side trip" from Copenhagen does not do Stockholm justice, you have to decide between a one-city trip or a two-city trip. Side trips from Copenhagen are to places like Malmo and surrounds, the rest of Zealand, Funen or Bornholm.
:D! is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 17, 7:04 am #4
Community Director

There is a ferry between Copenhagen and Oslo. I know that wasn't your question, but perhaps it is of interest.
SanDiego1K is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 17, 1:07 pm #5
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
A "side trip" from Copenhagen does not do Stockholm justice, you have to decide between a one-city trip or a two-city trip. Side trips from Copenhagen are to places like Malmo and surrounds, the rest of Zealand, Funen or Bornholm.
2-3 days in Copenhagen + a side (part day) trip to Malmo followed by 2-4 days in Stockholm is do-able.
AStarr likes this.
GUWonder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 5:09 pm #6
:D!

Programs: BA*G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver, Hilton Spire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
2-3 days in Copenhagen + a side (part day) trip to Malmo followed by 2-4 days in Stockholm is do-able.
Yes, what I meant was that it would be a 2-city trip rather than treating one as a side trip from the other.
:D! is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 17, 3:52 pm #7

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
Both are great cities. I did them as part of a 2 weeks-ish trip many years ago that also included Turku and Helsinki.

So, yes it is doable. But having spent more time in the CPH area since then I would say stay in that area. See the city and do a day trip or two to Roskilde or maybe Frederiksborg Castle. Depending on your family's interest a trip to Billund for the original Legoland might be fun. Pop over to Malmo and SW Sweden if you're so inclined. On my most-recent trip to CPH I spent about a week between Malmo and day trips out of there to places like Lund and Ystad and then a week in CPH for an event.
glennaa11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:35 am #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy View Post
I found a cheap fare to CPH next March, and we're thinking of snagging it for a family trip. If we spend a week there, is it worth a side trip to Stockholm, or better just to stay in and around CPH?

Was thinking maybe 3 days in each place as the alternative.
I personally find Stockholm more interesting than Copenhagen, but as a Swede, there's a good chance I'm biased on this. Ultimately, which is nicer is very dependent on your taste - they're very different cities, and for that reason alone I think it would be worth it to see both. Copenhagen is laid back, friendly and charming in spite of its size, while Stockholm is much more "metropolitan" in feel but has its share of pleasant neighbourhoods. Both cities are very family-friendly.

Flights between Copenhagen and Stockholm essentially boil down to two options: CPH-ARN ("main" airports), where ARN is at least 40 minutes out from Stockholm (20 minutes if you get the - quite frankly overpriced - Arlanda Express service), or MMX-BMA, where BMA is fairly central (before ARN was built it was Stockholm's main airport) but MMX (which technically serves Malmö) is well over an hour out from Copenhagen. It's been years since I did either, so I can't speak to the prices, but MMX-BMA will be either an ATR72 or an Avro RJ on Braathens Regional, while CPH-ARN will almost certainly be a 737 on either Norwegian or SAS. For both, the flight itself should take about an hour.

There are direct trains from Copenhagen to Stockholm, operated by SJ (the Swedish state railway), which take approximately 5h. Booking with decent notice, the price for an adult in standard is 395kr (about $50) while first class is just below double that amount. I would recommend this option over a short-haul flight, the trains are very nice (I'm 6'4" and I find the standard seating perfectly comfortable, and all the express stock is fairly recently refurbished) and it gets you a chance to see a bit of the lovely Swedish countryside between the two cities.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Ares96 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 6:28 am #9
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares96 View Post
I personally find Stockholm more interesting than Copenhagen, but as a Swede, there's a good chance I'm biased on this. Ultimately, which is nicer is very dependent on your taste - they're very different cities, and for that reason alone I think it would be worth it to see both. Copenhagen is laid back, friendly and charming in spite of its size, while Stockholm is much more "metropolitan" in feel but has its share of pleasant neighbourhoods. Both cities are very family-friendly.

Flights between Copenhagen and Stockholm essentially boil down to two options: CPH-ARN ("main" airports), where ARN is at least 40 minutes out from Stockholm (20 minutes if you get the - quite frankly overpriced - Arlanda Express service), or MMX-BMA, where BMA is fairly central (before ARN was built it was Stockholm's main airport) but MMX (which technically serves Malmö) is well over an hour out from Copenhagen. It's been years since I did either, so I can't speak to the prices, but MMX-BMA will be either an ATR72 or an Avro RJ on Braathens Regional, while CPH-ARN will almost certainly be a 737 on either Norwegian or SAS. For both, the flight itself should take about an hour.

There are direct trains from Copenhagen to Stockholm, operated by SJ (the Swedish state railway), which take approximately 5h. Booking with decent notice, the price for an adult in standard is 395kr (about $50) while first class is just below double that amount. I would recommend this option over a short-haul flight, the trains are very nice (I'm 6'4" and I find the standard seating perfectly comfortable, and all the express stock is fairly recently refurbished) and it gets you a chance to see a bit of the lovely Swedish countryside between the two cities.
I find train trips from CPH to Stockholm C for as low as a bit under 300SEK one-wat at times. And sometimes the first class seats may be sold for promo prices that aren’t much higher than that on SJ. Have to watch for those SJ emails to find out when those are on and book weeks or more in advance to get the best of those deals.

As an American who has a history of having homes close to ARN/BMA and close to MMX/CPH, I find Stockholm more my thing than Copenhagen. I also find Stockholm more interesting for my younger relatives than Copenhagen.
GUWonder is offline Reply With Quote