Go Back > > >
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 18, 17, 3:28 pm #1
Original Poster

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 585
1 day in Oslo, and airport train question

At the end of our forthcoming holiday, we'll have 1 day to spend in Oslo before returning to the UK. Any suggestions for "must see" sights in the main city centre area? Also - are there any ways to buy discounted train tickets to the airport? Is that (FlyToGet airport train) the most economical way to get to the airport from the city centre?

Thanks
so3003 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 5:03 pm #2
:D!

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA*G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver, Hilton Spire
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by so3003 View Post
are there any ways to buy discounted train tickets to the airport? Is that (FlyToGet airport train) the most economical way to get to the airport from the city centre?
The most economical way to get to the airport is to take the R10, R11 or L12 trains, which take more or less the same amount of time as the FlyToget, but run a bit less frequently (every ~20 mins as opposed to every 10 minutes).

The Flytoget costs 180 NOK single to Oslo Sentral whereas the local trains cost 93 NOK single.

If you are travelling to and from the airport within 24 hours, then you can buy a 24-hour all-zone ticket for 190 NOK, which gives you unlimited travel around all of Oslo and surrounds including to and from the airport.

On a day trip you would normally only travel around Oslo Zone 1, and a 24-hour ticket for Zone 1 would cost you 90 NOK; thus if you make two journeys to the airport each journey would only cost you 50kr as compared to 360kr by the "express" train.


Note: it is not "FlyToGet"
In Norwegian, fly = plane, tog = train, -et = definite article
flytog = plane-train
flytoget = the plane-train
:D! is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 5:07 pm #3

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Berlin
Programs: A3*G, UA*S, SPG/MR Plat, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, Accor Plat, NEXUS
Posts: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
The most economical way to get to the airport is to take the R10, R11 or L12 trains, which take more or less the same amount of time as the FlyToget, but run a bit less frequently (every ~20 mins as opposed to every 10 minutes).

The Flytoget costs 180 NOK single to Oslo Sentral whereas the local trains cost 93 NOK single.

If you are travelling to and from the airport within 24 hours, then you can buy a 24-hour all-zone ticket for 190 NOK, which gives you unlimited travel around all of Oslo and surrounds including to and from the airport.

On a day trip you would normally only travel around Oslo Zone 1, and a 24-hour ticket for Zone 1 would cost you 90 NOK; thus if you make two journeys to the airport each journey would only cost you 50kr as compared to 360kr by the "express" train.


Note: it is not "FlyToGet"
In Norwegian, fly = plane, tog = train, -et = definite article
flytog = plane-train
flytoget = the plane-train
I haven't checked if Ruter sells these, but why not save 10kr or so and do a 4-zone day ticket? I'm pretty sure those are valid on the NSB airport trains to Oslo S

Edited to add: because it turns out you can get a 1, 2, or all zone ticket for 24h.
pewpew is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:19 pm #4

Join Date: May 2016
Location: SFO, OAK, SJC
Programs: UA
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by so3003 View Post
At the end of our forthcoming holiday, we'll have 1 day to spend in Oslo before returning to the UK. Any suggestions for "must see" sights in the main city centre area? Also - are there any ways to buy discounted train tickets to the airport? Is that (FlyToGet airport train) the most economical way to get to the airport from the city centre?

Thanks
Vigeland Museum and Sculpture Park (two separate things, but near one another; the former was the sculptor's residence and studio, the latter is where a lot of his sculptures are on display)
Viking Ship Museum
Akershus Fortress (the Resistance Museum on the grounds is really fascinating)
calbear2005 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump
- FlyerTalk - Archive - Top