Go Back > > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:59 pm #1
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA
Question SYD T1 baggage screening

Hi. Was wondering what the Australian procedure is when they open a checked bag during security screening. The US TSA leaves a note. Do they also do that in SYD?

Flew home to IAD on UA and when I got home the TSA compliant padlock on my dive bag was gone...I know I locked it. No note. Was wondering what happened...we had a connection in LA and I did not pay attention to the locks then. Usually I do get a TSA note if they open it so I am wondering if it was in Australia. One bag did come after the rest on the conveyor belt.

Annoying, now I have to go on Amazon and get some more locks.

Thanks for letting me vent, but I am curious. Looked online and can find nothing about Australia/SYD checked bag screening.
welltended is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 11:45 pm #2

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
TSA does not ALWAYS 'leave notes'

Ive had TSA toss TSA compliant locks.

But to answer your question, I dont know what the procedure is for Oz security.
Exec_Plat is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 2:15 am #3
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
No note is placed in bags by Australian security inspection. Sounds like all you lost is the lock and not any of the valuable stuff . I've seen locks come out on the baggage carousel (separated from their bags), lots of stuff gets caught in the conveyor belt system and detached.
number_6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:12 pm #4
Original Poster

Lock was just looped thru zipper drawstring to keep zip closed so I would think that would have torn if the lock were ripped away. Well, that is $11 for the lock. On unpacking I am also missing the Crocs sandals that were in the bag, another $39 or so.

Just annoyed they likely opened to inspect and did not put everything back. At least I have my mask and fins.

Maybe some other lucky screenee is wondering why Crocs sandals are in their bag, lol.
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:19 am #5

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by welltended View Post
Lock was just looped thru zipper drawstring to keep zip closed so I would think that would have torn if the lock were ripped away. Well, that is $11 for the lock. On unpacking I am also missing the Crocs sandals that were in the bag, another $39 or so.

Just annoyed they likely opened to inspect and did not put everything back. At least I have my mask and fins.

Maybe some other lucky screenee is wondering why Crocs sandals are in their bag, lol.
Crocs missing? So a fashion challenged person went through your luggage.

Seriously, maybe you left them at home or at the hotel.
Annalisa12 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 10:16 am #6
Original Poster

Seriously I checked with Park Hyatt and no they were not left there. I am orthopedically challenged and Crocs give support so I prefer to be able to walk than look good. I remember when I could wear cute shoes, now I am just grateful to walk.
I do not think anyone stole them, just that they got left behind or misplaced after the bag search. Screeners make mistakes. I learned to put TSA padlocks on my brand new TSA locking hardshell bags after TSA at IAD forgot to turn the integrated lock back to the locking position, rendering the integrated TSA lock useless.
Thanks.