scammed by FOX rental car in Las Vegas

Old Sep 29, 09, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
scammed by FOX rental car in Las Vegas

I'm used to getting scammed or attempted to be scammed pretty much anytime I rent a car, but this situation particularly irks me.

I reserved an economy car from FOX with unlimited miles for the LAS location. I specifically reserved an economy car because I planned on driving quite a few miles and desired the best fuel economy possible.

Upon arrival I was of course offered a PT Cruiser which I what I get offered from every company no matter if I reserve economy, midsize, full size, etc. I hate PT Cruisers and they get lousy fuel economy certainly not representative of anywhere near an "economy" car. I asked for other options and was told the PT was the only car available for my reservation. The vehicle with the highest fuel economy available on their lot was a Jeep Compass at 28mpg highway, but they wouldn't give it to me without an extra charge. I felt that if they couldn't honor my reservation for an economy car they needed to give me the vehicle closest in performance to what I reserved which amazingly was a Jeep SUV. I attempted to make this point without success, and eventually paid extra for the Jeep after doing the math that spending less on gas would make up most of the difference even though I hate driving SUVs almost as much as PT Cruisers. I just want a small car that's easy to handle...why is that so much to ask from the car rental firms???

Based on my visual inspection of their lot both during pickup and dropoff they only had Chrysler and Jeep products which means it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to ever have an economy car on the lot as neither company manufactures such a model. Over half the lot was the PT Cruiser that they probably offer to everyone who didn't reserve a luxury or SUV model.

I feel scammed. They're clearly offering reservations for vehicles classes which don't exist and then upselling the customer after offering a horrible vehicle (the PT Cruiser) that nobody wants. I'm going to submit a complaint to FOX corporate, but I want to share my experience with FT. Hopefully I can encourage someone to not rent with FOX in the future.
Old Sep 30, 09, 7:59 am

I reserved an economy car from FOX with unlimited miles for the LAS location. I specifically reserved an economy car because I planned on driving quite a few miles and desired the best fuel economy possible.

How many times have I booked a subcompact? Almost always. How many times have I actually gotten one? Almost never. My rule of thumb: Assume this will happen and plan to spend some extra gas money.

Upon arrival I was of course offered a PT Cruiser which I what I get offered from every company no matter if I reserve economy, midsize, full size, etc. I hate PT Cruisers and they get lousy fuel economy certainly not representative of anywhere near an "economy" car.

I agree with you on that. I once had a PT Cruiser from Enterprise (booked subcompact for a weekend day, and the place was absolutely crawling with customers.) With all 5 seatbelts in use, (upgrade didn't annoy me so much this time), the car got 26 mpg. I'd assume a solo driver could do a bit better than that.

I asked for other options and was told the PT was the only car available for my reservation. The vehicle with the highest fuel economy available on their lot was a Jeep Compass at 28mpg highway, but they wouldn't give it to me without an extra charge. I felt that if they couldn't honor my reservation for an economy car they needed to give me the vehicle closest in performance to what I reserved which amazingly was a Jeep SUV.

That's probably because they class the PT as a car. Enterprise calls it a midsize. The Jeep Compass is based on the Dodge Caliber, but the rental firms don't take that into account.

I attempted to make this point without success, and eventually paid extra for the Jeep after doing the math that spending less on gas would make up most of the difference even though I hate driving SUVs almost as much as PT Cruisers. I just want a small car that's easy to handle...why is that so much to ask from the car rental firms???

The companies use statistical modeling to determine what they should order and how many. Look at other posts on this forum to see people mad that they booked compact and didn't get a free upsize to premium. Many people want/need a large gas guzzler. The companies used to buy lots of large SUVs for that reason. Then when gas shot up, they brought in more midsize. Then when gas stayed high, they were able to justify a larger purchase order of, gasp, compacts. But still not enough demand for subcompacts to buy so many.

Based on my visual inspection of their lot both during pickup and dropoff they only had Chrysler and Jeep products which means it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to ever have an economy car on the lot as neither company manufactures such a model. Over half the lot was the PT Cruiser that they probably offer to everyone who didn't reserve a luxury or SUV model.

They all do this. If I had a dollar, nay, a penny for every time this happens, I'd be a very wealthy man.
Old Sep 30, 09, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

I emailed Fox regarding my dissatisfaction, and they refunded the additional charge I was forced to pay without a problem. Kudos for that at least. I'm not so mad at them directly anymore just the overall lack of morals in the industry.

Why is it considered OK to give people a bigger car than they reserved but not the other way around? For some reason it's OK to screw people with bigger vehicles they don't want but on the flip side they wouldn't consider giving a smaller car to someone who reserved an SUV to be OK? Why the double standard?

Receiving a small car is critical for my rental needs. I often drive rentals a long distance - once several thousand miles through moutainous areas. Had I been screwed with an SUV in that case it would have cost me hundreds of dollars in extra fuel.

I also have very poor vision especially depth perception, and it's rather unsafe for me to drive SUVs because I can't see well and have almost no experience with big vehicles. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable I'd be driving a big vehicle in bad weather. I have difficulty judging distances driving through tight areas like small city streets and maneuvering in traffic. My safety is literally impacted by the type of vehicle I drive.

Gas has been expensive for several years now, and far fewer people desire unnecessarily large vehicles now...they need to get with modern times! The level of posts on this board alone of people desiring small cars but getting shafted with larger ones is evidence enough.
Old Sep 30, 09, 10:43 pm

When I worked in the business (until 2007), we rarely had economy or compact cars in our fleet. This was because it didn't cost us much more to lease bigger cars, and people liked upgrades. We rarely had people put up a fuss over getting a Taurus for their compact reservation as most folks reserved for the price, not the fuel economy.

Now the tide has turned the other way. The rental fleets are full of small cars, and everyone is complaining because they aren't getting upgrades.

I agree about the PT Cruiser, though... it is one of those cars that doesn't really fit into a class. Of course when they first came out, we rented them for $100 a day and everyone wanted one. I guess the novelty wore off over the years....
Old Oct 6, 09, 1:28 pm
Original Member

The absolute worst car I ever got was the current VW version of the Beetle...

I think Alamo considered that a compact and it was the only car available...
Old Oct 6, 09, 1:34 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Quite amusing to hear Americans whining about gasoline prices !
Old Oct 6, 09, 1:36 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
Same thing happened this weekend with Alamo.. rented a compact but all they had was midsize. I was given the choice of any car I wanted, as long as it was a HHR (even uglier than the PT Cruiser).
Old Oct 6, 09, 3:05 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
+1 ... LOL
Old Oct 6, 09, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

I've no problem with the gas price itself, but when I try to do the responsible thing and drive fuel efficient vehicles and get forced into accepting guzzlers I'm not too happy. My own car gets 50mpg so I have no issues with the current price.

When I drove in Europe I rented a compact diesel in Germany that got 45mpg on the autobahn (quite an accomplishment in fact at those speeds) and a Prius in the UK. I don't have a problem paying the prevailing fuel price as long as I have the choice to rent the car type I deem necessary. American car rental firms take away that choice and oppress us with undesirable 22mpg butt ugly PT Cruisers!
Old Oct 6, 09, 5:14 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
OP,

I understand your frustration with FOX.

But, it sounds like you travel alot. Do you require a rental everytime you travel.
About your Vegas rental. Are you on some massive road trip upon arrival or is it a matter of convenience why you rent. I just returned from Vegas and put 300 miles on my rental....... did alot of sightseeing outside Vegas.
Are you in the same boat.

My point being that by reading threads on this website you have to know that renting a car can be a pain in some cases.

#2 - Why did you rent from FOX?
Old Oct 21, 09, 3:43 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.

Why? If the price of gas in YOUR area, which had remained essentially the same for many years (let's just disregard the fact that your prices have always been higher than ours), suddenly increased by as much as 300% over a short period of time, wouldn't YOU be whining too?
Old Feb 18, 11, 10:21 am

Thumbs down Never Fox Car Rental Again

Just got back from Vegas and had terrible experience with Fox car rental. What they don't tell you is that you have to take TWO shuttles to get to their facility. Once we got there there was a wait to see an agent. The agent proceeded to push really hard on insurance and letting them fill up the gas tank. I'm used to some pressure, but this was definitely excessive. When we finally walked outside to get our car, there were no cars on the lot in the area they told us to pick up a car. We had to go stand in another line and wait even longer to get the car and then wait in another long line to drive off the lot with the car. I would never use this company again.
Old Mar 1, 11, 4:38 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Same way in Seattle. This is a rental car company that has "good" prices but it's not worth the savings for all of their hassle and sleazy practices. I've rented from them twice and as others have said - never again.
Old Apr 13, 11, 9:13 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhumphrs View Post
Just got back from Vegas and had terrible experience with Fox car rental. What they don't tell you is that you have to take TWO shuttles to get to their facility. Once we got there there was a wait to see an agent. The agent proceeded to push really hard on insurance and letting them fill up the gas tank. I'm used to some pressure, but this was definitely excessive. When we finally walked outside to get our car, there were no cars on the lot in the area they told us to pick up a car. We had to go stand in another line and wait even longer to get the car and then wait in another long line to drive off the lot with the car. I would never use this company again.
last time in LV I rented from Fox and just made another res for my May trip

If you had bothered to review your receipt you would have seen that they clearly explained that you needed to take the reg shuttle to the main car rental building and then wait and take theirs to their off airport location, it saved me $20 and I would gladly do it every time

As for the hard sell, I noticed that it seemed the people behind the desk were trying to be extremely friendly with whomever approached.

When it was my turn, he started with how are you, I answered Lousy. 1st time in vegas, I said this must be the 1st job you ever held. He counted with why such a bad day delayed flight, nope we came in early, seems theres a bunch of employees that are trying to be friend everyone so that they can then sell them Everything they dont really need and that is wasting my time as I have to wait my turn.

That was that he was done with me in 2 mins didnt even ask if I wanted to purchase anything extra. Figured he could do better with the next person.

A woman whow as next to me at the counter ended up buying the tank of gas at .20 more then the gas station across the street was selling it for! she purchased road assistance and all the liability as she was gonna be driving to LA, I told her so was I and I purchased Nothing and that was why her bill was 3x mine think shed go back in, nope she didnt want to chance missing out on a Mustang since there werent any more economy cars (I grabbed the last 1) She is the reason they pull this stuff if everyone had a brain and used it they would know they wont be able to upsell all that garbage and get away with it

So why go back simple Fox is still the cheapest by far and makes it worth the extra time, if it was just a couple of bucks I would take anyone else but at $10-15 a day cheaper I will play their game

btw those times I ended up with Fox even PriceLine would have been at least $10 more per day and could be I would have ended up with Fox anyway
Old Apr 13, 11, 9:56 pm
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Maybe there's a sweet spot there...personally, I've never seen such a drastic price savings that their games are worth it to me. I definitely am willing to Priceline car rentals - I've found that for 3-5 day and 8-10 day rentals that can be very much worth it, especially at a location that has separate booths for Emerald Aisle, #1 Club Gold, Avis Preferred, etc. (You can always walk straight to the booth with your card, even though Priceline rentals don't earn miles, upgrades, etc.) If Priceline can save me $75-100 or so, doable on these odd-day rentals that don't fit common discounts/promotions, then I'll jump on it knowing that the time cost is usually 10-15 minutes and you aren't exposed to any non-brand agencies.

But Priceline's about as far as I'm willing to go...I had my own bad experiences with third-tier agencies in the past and would definitely avoid them in common scam hotspots like Vegas, Miami, Orlando, etc.