How Bad Can Advantage Rent-a-Car Be?

Old Jan 2, 13, 5:14 pm

How Bad Can Advantage Rent-a-Car Be?

Shopping for a rental car in San Diego, which seems to have the nation's highest tourist trap/business-paying-for-it fees. Advantage is half the price of Hertz and even considerably lower than Thrifty.

I've never rented from Advantage. Are they awful? It's off the airport (which saves a chunk of fees right there) but I assume they have a shuttle like everyone else.
Old Jan 3, 13, 8:29 pm

Advantage is a leisure oriented car rental division of Hertz. Cannot speak to San Diego, but I have rented from them within the past year in Denver and Seattle at 50% discount over Hertz's on airport costs. You can use a Hertz CPD #'s (e.g. USAA) when making the reservation to get corporate discounts. A little bit less convenient than a Hertz gold card experience, off airport usually, (although not at DCA for example); in Denver the agent tried the usual upsell by saying she would put me in a tiny Fiat or equivalent, and I told her I had not tried one, and that might be interesting to drive; of course they didn't have any and I was in Toyota Camry instead at no charge.

So can't guarantee the experience, but you might do fine.
Old Jan 5, 13, 2:44 pm

Interesting. I didn't know about the Hertz connection. I tried using a AAA Hertz PC number and the Advantage web site told me that it it was an invalid code. Then I tried using the AAA CDP and it didn't take that either. I did, however, find the same rental today for $7 less than when I made a reservation three days ago.

Good excuse to call 'em, I suppose.

[later]Or maybe not. With a bit of net surfing, I see that Hertz is ditching Advantage and picking up Dollar/Thrifty. I can't tell if that deal has gone through yet (last articles I found on the web about it were from this Fall) but I suppose if Advantage ever honored Hertz discounts, they don't have a good reason to now.

Last edited by Mike Rivers; Jan 5, 13 at 3:28 pm
Old Jan 5, 13, 7:05 pm

Based on the Wikipedia entry for Advantage Rent a Car, I see you are absolutely correct. Hertz has divested itself of Advantage, so it makes sense that the Hertz discount codes no longer work. My rental in Denver was about the same time as the de-acquisition was completed last month. The bill on my credit card showed Hertz as the billing party, but I expect that will no longer be the case.
Old Jan 7, 13, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
It's bad from a CS standpoint, but I would use again, if discount was DEEP. Used in phx last year, spring training. Lonnnnnnng wait in line. I would say, not as bad as people describe on trip advisors etc. would only use if there was a HUGE price difference. Go for it. You'll be okay
Old Jan 8, 13, 11:39 am

I'll keep checking Hertz and Thrifty, but at this point, yeah, there's a really deep discount.
Old Jan 8, 13, 7:41 pm

Just fine...

I've rented from Advantage many, many times, in both San Diego and around San Francisco, never had a problem, cars were fine. Look, everyone has a horror story, that generally doesn't mean it's fair to extrapolate it to an entire company, whether we're talking airline, hotel or car.

I've never had a problem renting from Advantage, fwiw.

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers View Post
Shopping for a rental car in San Diego, which seems to have the nation's highest tourist trap/business-paying-for-it fees. Advantage is half the price of Hertz and even considerably lower than Thrifty.

I've never rented from Advantage. Are they awful? It's off the airport (which saves a chunk of fees right there) but I assume they have a shuttle like everyone else.
Old Jan 16, 13, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
I first rented from Advantage when they had been recently been acquired by Hertz. The times I rented from them I didn't have any issues (and for the times I was renting no real line either).

I had researched information on them online at the time, and pre-Hertz they had some bad reviews, but post-Hertz didn't really seem to be an issue.

I think for at least a while, now that they are divested from Hertz, that would make me nervous for a bit until they had a new reputation. While under Hertz, Hertz had incentive to make sure they weren't bad (just operate at a lower cost level and charge lower prices).
Old Jan 20, 13, 7:00 pm

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Thumbs up I like Advantage!

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers View Post

I have rented Advantage twice since Hertz in no longer its owner.
NO problems...many times I get best rates via carrentals.com and expedia. As well as Advantage own website. But I like the comparison of rates of
Expedia & Carrentals.com. They have airportshuttles and give good service.
tj
Old Jan 22, 13, 9:54 pm

Well, I got my Advantage rental car this evening. Waited 20 minutes for the shuttle and more than 30 minutes at the office with only two people ahead of me. But I had a good choice of cars, they were clean and had reasonable mileage, and the folks at the desk were really nice.

Made me really miss getting off the Hertz shuttle and going right to my car, but not as much as I'd miss the $200 more that Hertz would have charged me for the same 9 day rental. So, yeah, they're fine when things go right but good that I wasn't in a hurry.
Old Feb 21, 13, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
just made a reservation with them in MIA.
The total cost of 3 day rental (including taxes) is the same as one day with Hertz (including taxes)....
As much as I wanted to use hertz I will leave that to my business trips...
its not even worth using hertz points with $60 rental...
Old Feb 23, 13, 2:17 am

I have used them @ BUR (off airport location) and have got pretty cheap deals (10$ per day) ... very nice & clean cars ... everytime I have booked a mini van I have recd a full size SUV. Recently I have found the rates are not as cheaper as they were earlier. But they are good.
Old Feb 28, 13, 4:17 pm
CMW

Has anyone used them at SJC?

I need a rental 4-1 to 4-5.Basically 4 days and about 3 hours.

The mainstream rental agencies are giving me awfully high rates and Aadvantage is about $160. I've never rented with them but it would save hundreds of dollars.
Old Mar 3, 13, 5:19 pm

Never had a problem with them at SJC. Their rates are higher than they use to be, however, so I've moved on...
Old Mar 12, 13, 1:13 pm

Considering using them to rent from Seattle Tacoma airport. $214.32 for 8 days with taxes/fees/surcharges. My Mastercard will cover damage to the rental and my personal auto insurance covers liability so I don't believe I'd need to purchase additional insurance.

Last edited by sunnyadrienne; Mar 12, 13 at 2:01 pm