Go Back > > >
Old Aug 27, 17, 1:32 am #1
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Canadian PR Flying YYZ-ORD-AUH-BLR Needs Visa at ORD?

I can't get a straight answer from anyone on this. My sister-in-law is a Canadian permanent resident and is wondering if she will need any sort of visa at ORD to transit through ORD to her final destination and back. Any insight greatly appreciated!
SamirD is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 17, 2:00 am #2

What is her nationality? There is no international transit system in any US airport. So she will need to clear US immigration and customs even during transits between two other countries. So depending on her nationality she will need a visa for the US. When departing from Canada and AUH they have preclearance facilities so the US immigration and customs is done at the departure point not on arrival.
Merlinrnr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 17, 4:53 am #3
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr View Post
What is her nationality? There is no international transit system in any US airport. So she will need to clear US immigration and customs even during transits between two other countries. So depending on her nationality she will need a visa for the US. When departing from Canada and AUH they have preclearance facilities so the US immigration and customs is done at the departure point not on arrival.
Her nationality is Indian. Being a US citizen myself, I wasn't aware that there is no way to transit through the US.

So this route wouldn't work for her without a US visa, correct?
Old Aug 27, 17, 7:16 am #4
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even as a US national, there is no transit for the US. You enter the US and then depart the US. If you fly this route, both of you would be processed at CBP Pre-Clearance in YYZ.

Your sister can look up her documentation requirements based on her specific situation in TIMATIC, the IATA database which IATA carriers use. It is available free through a number of sites, including;

https://united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC

My reading of an Indian national residing in Canada destined for the US with a one-day (the minimum) stay and an onward ticket, is that such a person would require a visa. If she chooses a different connection point, she would then rerun TIMATIC for that country. Not all transits are visa-free and some locations require leaving a terminal or changing airports and may require a visa (or not). Thus, the exact details of the situation matter.
Often1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 17, 7:24 am #5

Can confirm the earlier response. Indian citizens need a visa to transit in the US. Her Canadian PR has no bearing on the matter. Also for travel purposes she isn't Canadian.
NeedstoFly is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 17, 9:51 am #6
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly View Post
Also for travel purposes she isn't Canadian.
The thread title has been edited for clarity.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
TWA884 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 17, 10:39 am #7
Original Poster

I knew I would get the right answer here. You guys are the best! Thank you for the very valuable links and great information!

She booked a flight that transited through Brussels where she wouldn't need a visa. (My wife checked on this so I hope she didn't misread something.)

Now if I can only get my emergency Indian visa today...pray for us and our family. My wife's father passed away <12hrs ago.
Old Aug 28, 17, 6:23 am #8

Sorry for your loss.

Indeed the US poses a problem, and being a major transit hub for the Western Hemisphere, it is very frustrating for those who require transit visas, and even for foreigners who qualify for the waiver who could be rejected a mere transit for whatever reason.

When she's back, your sister-in-law ought to get a B2 visa so she can always transit or visit the US at the last minute.

As for an emergency Indian visa, you can get it. I also recommend getting OCI as soon as possible.
cafeconleche is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 17, 10:34 pm #9
Original Poster

As an update, I was able to get an emergency visa at the consulate in Chicago on a Sunday. They were very accommodating.

Packed in 30m and headed to the airport forgetting some critical things which will keep me from getting sick here in India.

And then our flight from ORD to DUB was delayed messing up everything including funeral proceedings in India. We were able to move the funeral and make it in time after an exhausting 35hrs via ORD DUB DOH DEL BLR.

Now, my sister in law needs to find a return ticket to get back to Canada as her outbound trip was booked one way due to the lack of time. (She was going to move this week, so she had to take care of all that, pack for the trip, and leave in one day.)

The problem she's running across is similar to transitioning through the US, but for the European countries. For example, it seems Heathrow would not require a transit visa, and yet that is exactly what kept us from travelling via Heathrow when we missed our connection in DUB. Thoughts? Any experience transitioning via Heathrow on a BLR YYZ route appreciated.
Old Aug 31, 17, 10:46 pm #10
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
According to Timatic:
Quote:
Transiting without a visa is possible for:

Passengers holding confirmed onward tickets making an airside transit at London Gatwick (LGW), London Heathrow (LHR) or Manchester (MAN) on the same calendar day to a third country (excluding Ireland (Rep.)).

Passengers may make an airside transit if holding a valid Permanent Resident Card issued by Canada, on or after 28 June 2002.

E-visas or e-residence permits are only accepted for airside transit when the airline is able to verify it with the issuing country.

Passengers holding confirmed onward tickets passing through United Kingdom immigration to make a landside transit to a third country on a flight that departs before 23:59 the next day.

Passengers may make a landside transit if holding a valid Permanent Residence Card issued by Canada after 28 June 2002.

E-visas or e-residence permits are not accepted for landside transit.
TWA884 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 17, 11:52 pm #11
Original Poster

Thank you so much! Just showed this to my sister-in-law.
Old Sep 1, 17, 3:00 am #12

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Interestingly, AFAIK, Canada waives visa requirements for US permanent residents, but the US does not do the same for Canadian permanent residents.
N1120A is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:18 am #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Interestingly, AFAIK, Canada waives visa requirements for US permanent residents, but the US does not do the same for Canadian permanent residents.
This is true. I've been to Canada with a GC and no passport. Always by car/bus/on foot. I think you can also legally fly with just a GC, but they mostly demand a passport. The US only requires a GC for re-entry from permanent residents.

I've transited through Heathrow when I had a GC and a US Re-Entry permit in lieu of a passport. Nobody questioned me. Before I became a permanent resident, I actually had to reroute a flight through Heathrow and fly through Dublin instead. The funny thing is that Heathrow would have allowed an airside transit, but Dublin, at least in 2005, required I pass through passport control and re-check in.
cafeconleche is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 17, 4:36 am #14

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeconleche View Post
This is true. I've been to Canada with a GC and no passport. Always by car/bus/on foot. I think you can also legally fly with just a GC, but they mostly demand a passport. The US only requires a GC for re-entry from permanent residents.

I've transited through Heathrow when I had a GC and a US Re-Entry permit in lieu of a passport. Nobody questioned me. Before I became a permanent resident, I actually had to reroute a flight through Heathrow and fly through Dublin instead. The funny thing is that Heathrow would have allowed an airside transit, but Dublin, at least in 2005, required I pass through passport control and re-check in.
Technically, you do need your passport along with your PR card for Canada, but admission is visa free. I'm not sure if an ETA is required.
N1120A is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 17, 2:28 pm #15
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
I don't think she to go to US. She must take EY or EK nonstop from YYZ-DXB or AUH and then onward flight to BLR. It will be much easier for her.
N830MH is offline Reply With Quote