Go Back > > >
Old Nov 5, 17, 11:26 pm #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Phone requires less typing and I would book via the airline rather than a travel agent unless there was a compelling reason
yes love sitting on hold on phone for an hour & then talking to someone with broken English based in India, Philippines, Mexico or wherever. Must be lots of errors with phone bookings due to language difficulties.

Airline res people are just employees. Many travel agent people are owners or on commission, so if they don't look after you, you won't come back. There's no money is a once only sale.

& travel agencies often have fares, you won't get direct with an airline website & phone sales usually cost more, than airline websites.
USAoz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:56 am #17
Cpi-Web Evangelist

I had to make a phone call today to make a booking ( with Oman Air ) and spole to a really helpful and efficient person who dealt with the booking really well
Dave Noble is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:23 am #18
og
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I had to make a phone call today to make a booking ( with Oman Air ) and spole to a really helpful and efficient person who dealt with the booking really well
I initially had the same opinion about making a phone booking with BA in South Africa (routed through to where ever their call centre was) for a xONEx ticket. But I only discovered how it was messed up when part way through the trip - that meant constant problems with QF domestic when OLCI was impossible - and required supervisor input every sector.
og is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:19 pm #19

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
You can use itamatrix to check on routes and days in question.

You have to display "Advanced controls", and then enter the right codes into "Outbound extension code" and "Return extension code" I'm a rank amateur, but I think +CABIN 2 works for business class sector, and +CABIN 3 for economy class (not sure re: PE, +CABIN 1 is for first).

Anyway to test I looked at SYD-LAX in Y, LAX-SYD in J... NZ, AA,CZ, DL, UA and VA seemed to have reasonable fares like this that combined two half return fares .. but not QF. (AA for example was $2800 AUD return vs QF $12,000).
lokijuh is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 2:26 am #20

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, SPG Gold
Whenever I have looked at combining PE and J it has come out much more than a J return. So possible, but not like BA where you can easily combine cabins. That is either through the website, QF or a TA.

Most recent was SYD/HKG where T was around 1500, I around 3000, but PE was 1300 on the way home, making the price 2000 rather than 1500 and no way QF would ticket with 750 + 1500, it was around 4,500 (flex W and flex J). Or even via MEL or BNE for the inbound, which unfortunately did not have PE.

So possible, but defeats the purpose.

KF
Koru Flyer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:19 am #21
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
You have to display "Advanced controls", and then enter the right codes into "Outbound extension code" and "Return extension code" I'm a rank amateur, but I think +CABIN 2 works for business class sector, and +CABIN 3 for economy class (not sure re: PE, +CABIN 1 is for first).
That's a useful one - thank you!

No wonder I couldn't originally find QF round-trip fares that combined business class one way and economy the other. The cheapest business class round-trip is cheaper than that.
Globaliser is offline Reply With Quote