Go Back > > >
Old Oct 30, 17, 3:48 pm #1
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Buying up to Plus

Hi everyone, didn't find the answer to how one can (or cannot) buy up to the extra legroom economy section Plus.

I have an economy ticket purchased for me by my client's travel agent...and not sure if I have any options in advance of at check-in. It's long haul SFO-CPH if that matters...... Thanks.
1k-all-the-way is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 17, 4:21 pm #2

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Only extra legroom you can get in row 30 and 40 on the left and right side. That you can buy for 50Ä.

Plus is more difficult. You can bid for an upgrade, but that is just a bid. The travel agent might be able to change it to Plus but that costs the fare difference plus a change fee of around 200Ä.
Jainzar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 17, 5:08 pm #3

Programs: SK-EBD
If you canít get through with a real cabin change with the TA, the best option would in your case probably be an upgrade at check in.

Availability from Go (economy) to Plus (premium economy) is generally quite high.

Expect to pay around 250-400 $.
Tango Alpha is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 17, 8:01 pm #4
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
If you canít get through with a real cabin change with the TA, the best option would in your case probably be an upgrade at check in.

Availability from Go (economy) to Plus (premium economy) is generally quite high.

Expect to pay around 250-400 $.
Thanks everybody -- Is there any general thoughts here if the extra space is worth a few hundred? Or are opinions mixed?
Old Oct 30, 17, 10:01 pm #5
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way View Post
Thanks everybody -- Is there any general thoughts here if the extra space is worth a few hundred? Or are opinions mixed?
It is a proper premium economy cabin. Not just extra leg room. It goes from a 2-4-2 config to 2-3-2 as well. The catering is also slightly enhanced compared to economy. Generally I would say it is worth few hundreds for the upgrade.
AStarr likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 17, 11:07 pm #6

Programs: EBG
As indicated below, upgrading to SAS Plus gets you more than just extra legroom. For those who don't already have Star Alliance Gold (or better) status, it included access to Fast Track and Lounges. In addition to wider, more comfortable seats in a separate cabin, it also includes access to food & beverages onboard, a USB power outlet port, and enhanced EuroBonus points. Baggage allowance remains according to original booking class

I find that SAS Plus on IC compares very favorably with LH Premium Economy.

Last week we flew in an Air India B787 from ARN to DEL in Economy, which was our first IC flight since LAX-ARN in SAS Plus. It really made me realize how much I have grown to like Plus in the new cabins for long-haul.

More info here: https://flysas.com/en/us/travel-...chase-upgrade/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
It is a proper premium economy cabin. Not just extra leg room. It goes from a 2-4-2 config to 2-3-2 as well. The catering is also slightly enhanced compared to economy. Generally I would say it is worth few hundreds for the upgrade.
Daner is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:33 am #7

Programs: UA.AV
We flew SFO-CPH-SFO two weeks ago and found the whole experience on SAS wonderful. The flights were not full so we were kindly given a blocked fourth seat in the middle which was appreciated. The Premium Economy was full in both directions so I suspect people bid for the upgrade. The seating was more spacious as discussed and I would say well worth several hundred euros more above an already very competitive fare. As an additional comment, the planes were absolutely spotlessly clean with good pillows and real blankets, we were very impressed.
Cymbo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:58 am #8
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: EBG, Icelandair Silver, HHonors Gold
I find the paid upgrade at check-in worth it - it was $250 for me when I did it the one time. Granted, I flat out refuse to fly TATL in economy anymore. It's possible I got lucky on availability though given how heavily they advertise the bidding process for Plusgrade.

Catering is hit or miss, but the seats + lounge access really seem worth it to me.
AStarr is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 6:06 am #9
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: SK EBD/AA EXP/A3 *G/ba G/IHG Spire/Hilton Dia/Carlson Gold/SPG Plat/MR P + alot more
I really like the PLUS service and cabin. i think they also offer the best value in this cabin. The extra leg space is appreciated and the free drinks as well. Personally I only upgrsde to SAS business class when I need the extra basic points for status.

These are of coursenonly MY opinions and the subjct IS VERY subjective that said I hsve spent a fair amount of time in those seats lately
AStarr likes this.
kauppias is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:08 am #10

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStarr View Post
I find the paid upgrade at check-in worth it - it was $250 for me when I did it the one time.
Keep in mind that with a successful plusgrade bid you also earn miles according to the upgraded cabin booking class - with paid upgrades at check-in, you only get the miles for the original booking class.
AStarr likes this.
clifford79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 11:54 am #11

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
For those who don't already have Star Alliance Gold (or better) status, it included access to Fast Track and Lounges.
On IC sectors you have lounge access only to SAS' own lounges. Therefore just flying Plus doesn't give you lounge access in SFO.
Jainzar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:52 pm #12
2017 FT Secret Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford79 View Post
Keep in mind that with a successful plusgrade bid you also earn miles according to the upgraded cabin booking class - with paid upgrades at check-in, you only get the miles for the original booking class.
Yep! This bit me last year, but I wasn't sure about the whole frequent flyer thing and just starting out back then. Now I know.
Old Oct 31, 17, 4:33 pm #13
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'm star gold so would benefit from the seating most of all. Seems nice if I get an option. When you mention bid or buy up, are these offered at check in if available, or do I do something more proactive?
Old Oct 31, 17, 4:59 pm #14
2017 FT Secret Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way View Post
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'm star gold so would benefit from the seating most of all. Seems nice if I get an option. When you mention bid or buy up, are these offered at check in if available, or do I do something more proactive?
You can bid using the Plusgrade system after your ticket is issued. Sometimes it's included in the email about your flight. Otherwise you can chase it down through the SAS website to find out about eligibility.
Old Nov 1, 17, 6:36 am #15
Original Poster

And while I have your attention, may I ask about row 30 on the A340? I booked the aisle seat but can't tell if the window seat, which I might prefer, has enough room to sneak by the aisle seat? It's a curtain or a bulkhead on that row between Plus and Go?