Go Back > > >
Old May 24, 17, 1:33 am #16

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt, Hilton DM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Australian immigration is likely to refuse to permit entry to Australia people around who try this, and even if they don't customs are likely to have some questions.

While it is annoying the lounge isn't accessible at the gate, the gate area is much nicer than usual and it is usually only about an hour before boarding is called.
Really? Even for those holding australia / nz passports?
Ausriver is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 17, 1:03 am #17
Original Poster

Programs: SQ [TPP 20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaze View Post
Nice. Hope you can share it on here.

Here is the reply from SQ:

Quote:
"Thank you for your online feedback sharing your recent travel experience.

We are concerned to learn that you were not entirely happy on these flights. In particular, we regret that you were disappointed with the aircraft deployed for your flight SQ291/20 April 2017 from Singapore to Wellington, via Canberra, and are concerned that the cabin product did not offer you the level of comfort you expected.

We would like to assure you that we recognize that our cabin offerings form a very integral part of our passengers’ overall flight experience and we remain mindful to strive to maintain a young and modern fleet.

Informatively, the aircraft deployed for the abovementioned flight is due to the airports’ operational limitations, which could only accommodate Boeing B772R amongst our fleet.

Having said this, we have shared your feedback with our Network Planning team who will continue to engage the respective airport authorities for possible airport enhancements in the future.

Separately, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused on your flight SQ292/3 May 2017 from Wellington to Singapore due to the non-functional toilets during the flight.

We would like to share that our Engineering Department has since been advised of the issue and they had rectified the condition of the toilets. We have also taken further steps to remind our Engineers to escalate their pre-flight and maintenance checks to ensure the aircraft deployed is fully functional prior to all our flights.

As a gesture of goodwill for your experience on this occasion, we would like to credit 5,000 Krisflyer miles to your KrisFlyer account, in approximately three weeks’ time. These miles can be used towards future upgrade and award redemption bookings, and can also be utilised towards purchase of inflight gift items onboard applicable flights or through mail order at http://krisshopair.com and http://silkairdutyfree.com.

While we cannot reverse your experience for this flight, we hope that this gesture will go some way in alleviating your disappointment as we never want to leave any of our customers with such a poor impression and we are sorry we let you down on both flights.

We want to make sure our customers are satisfied with the service we provide whilst under our care. We can only make improvements if we receive feedback and we are grateful that you took the time to let us know how you felt. We hope you have not been deterred from using our services in the future as we will always welcome the pleasure of your company on board. We look forward to further opportunities to provide you with a more positive experience on your future flights with us.

Yours sincerely

Siew Cheng Lim
Customer Affairs Manager
Singapore Airlines Limited"

It is a reasonable reply which indicates the use of the old B772R aircraft on the Capital Express Route SIN-CBR-WLG is a result of operational limitations at the airports. I imagine Wellington "International" airport is the issue with possible limitations being runway length or space limitations at the air-bridge?

That said, the wingspan and length of the old B772R and the newer 772ER are identical. Passenger seats and cargo capacity are also nearly identical as the operating empty weight of each aircraft. The MTOW of the ER is greater due to its additional fuel capacity but since the amount of fuel SQ needs to load to get the plane from WLG-CBR (and vice versa) is not great the additional runway a fully loaded ER would need to land and take off is less relevant.

Maybe gurus in this area can comment further?
SQveteran is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 17, 3:21 am #18
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
Really? Even for those holding australia / nz passports?
This is just my guess - I haven't tried it myself.

Passport nationality has nothing to do with it. Some possible issues include
- no taxes have been paid for Australia since ticketed as SIN-WLG or vv
- smuggling (or just "looks suspicious")
- delaying the flight
- staffing at immigration/customs/security may be based on known numbers of arrivals/departures
Kiwi Flyer is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 17, 10:09 am #19
Original Poster

Programs: SQ [TPP 20]
Quote:

- delaying the flight
- staffing at immigration/customs/security may be based on known numbers of arrivals/departures

I suspect you are correct. To add to the list of possible issues is transit time is relatively short with boarding being called about 1 hour after landing. The last thing SQ need is the hassle of chasing transit pax in other areas of the terminal. Further, I doubt SQ has an agreement with the Virgin Domestic lounge to host international transit pax.

Finally, It would be an interesting conversation with the Aussie immigration officer about how long you intended to stay in Australia and which hotel you were checking into?
SQveteran is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 17, 6:39 pm #20

Programs: Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Just did a SIN-CBR sector.

Loads were 95% full.

Aircraft was 777-200 which had the refurbished seats and good screens (same version as the a380). Was a really good comfortable flight.

No problems or delays in landing in thick fog.

Probably the biggest concern was the 20+ min wait to clear immigration. There are no smart gates and only 3 ABF crew processing 200+ pax, and another 6 standing behind 'looking' busy. Epic fail. There are no priority lines, but as Business pax arrive first they will pass through quicker. Poor FA and pilots arrive at the very end and get processed last.

Baggage collection and customs about a 30 sec job. This part was flawless.

Overall if they (Canberra Airport & DIBP) address the immigration bottle neck this is a really good service. With loads as they are I can see this route growing and being more popular over the coming years.
davidj1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:22 pm #21

Programs: IHG Rewards,Gold Elite,KrisFlyer Elite..
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
Just did a SIN-CBR sector.

Loads were 95% full.

Aircraft was 777-200 which had the refurbished seats and good screens (same version as the a380). Was a really good comfortable flight.

No problems or delays in landing in thick fog.

Probably the biggest concern was the 20+ min wait to clear immigration. There are no smart gates and only 3 ABF crew processing 200+ pax, and another 6 standing behind 'looking' busy. Epic fail. There are no priority lines, but as Business pax arrive first they will pass through quicker. Poor FA and pilots arrive at the very end and get processed last.

Baggage collection and customs about a 30 sec job. This part was flawless.

Overall if they (Canberra Airport & DIBP) address the immigration bottle neck this is a really good service. With loads as they are I can see this route growing and being more popular over the coming years.
Thx for feedback David,will be doing this sector in Biz,in Nov(coming back from UK)did you do CBR-SIN sector? If so, how was it?Cheers
hackneycab2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 17, 1:32 am #22

Programs: Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackneycab2 View Post
did you do CBR-SIN sector? If so, how was it?Cheers
No not yet done the CBR-SIN sector. I believe they have smart passport readers for outgoing pax so the immigration process should be smooth.
davidj1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 17, 5:19 pm #23

Probably a stupid question, but do through passengers in transit from WLG-SIN have to clear customs/immigration in CBR?
mtftw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 17, 6:16 pm #24

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtftw View Post
Probably a stupid question, but do through passengers in transit from WLG-SIN have to clear customs/immigration in CBR?
Of course not.
vbroucek is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 17, 8:47 pm #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
Of course not.
Great. I had read something indicating that you need an Aus visa in order to make this connection which made absolutely no sense to me.
Old Jul 6, 17, 8:53 pm #26

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTS, CX AM
Quote:

- delaying the flight
As an Australian passport, you have every right to enter CBR at your pleasure. 10mins, 10 hours, 10 years, whatever. Don't know why people are afraid of immigration officers as an Australian citizen.

As a foreign national, well immigration has every right to refuse you entry. But not sure how that would work around for pax using the smart gate (don't think you need to say how long you are there?)

Having said that, it would be your responsibility to get to the boarding area on time.
ermen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 17, 8:55 pm #27

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTS, CX AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtftw View Post
Great. I had read something indicating that you need an Aus visa in order to make this connection which made absolutely no sense to me.
Certain passport holders on transit need a visa, even if not clearing immigration.

https://border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/...ough-australia

Slightly better than the US of A which requires everyone to hold one regardless of passport I believe!
ermen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 17, 11:22 am #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
Certain passport holders on transit need a visa, even if not clearing immigration.

https://border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/...ough-australia

Slightly better than the US of A which requires everyone to hold one regardless of passport I believe!
Great, we're US passport holders so it looks like we'll be fine. Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 17, 8:28 pm #29

On SQ292 from WLG direct to SIN, I noticed that Australian airport arrival and departure taxes are charged.

Do pax have to disembark the plane during the CBR stop? If so, do pax have to also clear immigration?

Thanks
fallinasleep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 9:13 pm #30

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallinasleep View Post
On SQ292 from WLG direct to SIN, I noticed that Australian airport arrival and departure taxes are charged.
This is weird for a same flight number international service, but yes these show on itamatrix. Yet if you book EK all the way through from AKL to DXB (via MEL, SYD or BNE) on same flight number or even changing to different flight number - these are not charged. Surely same principle applies?
lokijuh is offline Reply With Quote