Go Back > > >
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:45 am #1
Original Poster

Best way of getting SAA Voyager Miles Airlink redemption JNB-TNR

I have just moved to Antananarivo, Madagascar for work. Since arrival, I have been shocked at the cost of getting off the island. South African Airways offer the only flight to South Africa, and (surprisingly enough) it is very expensive...usually about GBP650 return (USD865) for a 2.5 hour flight on a terrible Avro RJ85 Avroliner.

I am trying to work out a cheaper way of getting off the island, and noticed that their redemption chart for spending SAA Voyager Miles with Airlink doesn't look too bad (Madagascar is in their "Africa 1" category):

SPENDING MILES WITH AIRLINK

Region MileageKeeper Return AnyDay Return
Travel within South Africa 19 000 36 000
Travel between South Africa and Southern Africa 22 500 38 000
Travel between South Africa and Africa 1 37 500 90 000

So basically 37,500 Voyager miles to save myself about USD850. Now, the question is: as a resident of Madagascar, how can I earn SAA Voyager Miles (or transfer in from another program) - without flying on SAA?
ozymandias24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 6:49 am #2
Original Poster

OK so I have partially answered my own question:

I can transfer Amex Reward Points to Starwood at 3:1 ratio, then Starwood to Marriott at 1:3 ratio, then Marriott to SAA Voyager miles at this crazy ratio from the SAA site:

Voyager Miles Marriott Points
1 500 Miles 10 000 Points
3 500 Miles 20 000 Points
7 000 Miles 30 000 Points
17 000 Miles 70 000 Points
35 000 Miles 140 000 Points

At the top conversion, this seems to work out at buying 1 SAA Voyager Mile for 4 Amex Reward Points. Seems kind of expensive, especially as I need 18 750 Voyager Miles for a one way flight from TNR to JNB. I'm giving up 75,000 Amex points to save about 430USD. Not a good exchange rate!

Anyone have any better suggestions for earning SAA Voyager Miles? Maybe a cunning way of earning Marriott Reward Points? Or SPG points?
ozymandias24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:51 am #3

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Emirates Skywards Plat, SAA Voyager Silver.
Yeah a saving, but nothing to write home about sadly. Unfortunately, you will have to take the price of the flights as part of the island lifestyle. I can only recommend you book in advance and shop around, even look at indirect methods to get to JNB ?
Flame3601 is offline Reply With Quote