Go Back > > >
Old Jan 29, 15, 9:17 am #31

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, LA Black), FI Gold, DL Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Well, we've now learned you're not a high society socialite.
I prefer to say that I'm "down to earth" even though I'm often at 35,000 feet...
zpaul is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:15 pm #32

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Hello. First time going to Chile (or Latin America for that matter). Have traveled around Asia and Europe. I usually take no local currency and rely on debit card to withdraw from ATM on arrival. It has served me well so far. But given the discussion about lack of cash at some ATMs, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get some CLP at home. I would get it from Chase which builds in about 3% fee to the conversion rate (so I don't want to get it unless it is advisable).
italdesign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 16, 6:57 am #33

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG LT Plat, MR Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Expl, IHG Plat, CC Gold, Hertz PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
Hello. First time going to Chile (or Latin America for that matter). Have traveled around Asia and Europe. I usually take no local currency and rely on debit card to withdraw from ATM on arrival. It has served me well so far. But given the discussion about lack of cash at some ATMs, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get some CLP at home. I would get it from Chase which builds in about 3% fee to the conversion rate (so I don't want to get it unless it is advisable).
I was able to get cash at Chile ATMs 1 year ago. The issue is that they limit the withdrawal amount (it's not a lack of cash but rather a small amount per transaction). So I had to pull out money like 5 times in a row at the same ATM.
TravelinSperry is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 16, 7:16 am #34

Programs: Family of LAN employee discount traveler looking for ways to add lost elite travel luxuries
Appears I never got around to updating this thread.

Banco Security ATMs are the only ones now that do not charge a Chile-side Fee.

Banco Estado ATMs now charge a 4000 pesos per withdraw fee and accept Plus system cards but remain free of the 200000 pesos per withdraw limit of the other banks with reports of up to 600000+ pesos per withdraw back when the exchange rate was 700+. Banco Estado ATMs can be found at BancoEstado branches, Serviestado branches, Lider (Walmart) supermarkets and malls.

ATMs can become short of cash during weekends and especially long holiday weekends (there is nearly one every month not counting the summer break months).
Viajero Perpetuo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:04 am #35

Security bank

I have a plain jane atm cirrus card and it has worked fine, no fee charged with security bank. As yesterday they are charging 4500!! I did not try more than the 200000 max per transaction. I will try Estado bank today.
Maria Alvarez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 2:09 pm #36

Banco internacional

Banco internacional does not charge a fee and BICE charge 2500.
Maria Alvarez is offline Reply With Quote