Go Back > > >
Old Oct 23, 17, 12:24 pm #1
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, National Executive Elite, Hilton Diamond
Morning arrival in SCL

I am arriving into SCL Friday at 8 am. I am staying at the Doubletree for two nights. Granted they might allow me a little earlier check in due to my status but that being said I'd probably just drop off my bags and head out for the morning. I have been reading the Frommers book I bought on Chile and in depth with the Santiago section so I do have ideas. However, I would like to see if there is anything close to see tourist wise (as in walking close) that may satisfy my first morning there.

Thanks
enviroian is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 17, 12:38 pm #2
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Dominicos_Village

I'd head out there ... it is a pleasant way to pass an hour or so, have a snack, and is easily accessible by Metro.

Your neighborhood is going to have "did I really leave the USA" shops and restaurants, and will be completely uninteresting in the morning (and not too interesting at later hours, either, although one of the best wine shops anywhere is located in the building with the W Hotel nearby. If Los Dominicos doesn't kill enough time, you can always hang out in the Costanera Center mall until your room is ready.
Coskigirl likes this.
Eastbay1K is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 17, 12:44 pm #3
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, National Executive Elite, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Dominicos_Village

I'd head out there ... it is a pleasant way to pass an hour or so, have a snack, and is easily accessible by Metro.

Your neighborhood is going to have "did I really leave the USA" shops and restaurants, and will be completely uninteresting in the morning (and not too interesting at later hours, either, although one of the best wine shops anywhere is located in the building with the W Hotel nearby. If Los Dominicos doesn't kill enough time, you can always hang out in the Costanera Center mall until your room is ready.
Thanks.

Speaking of the all the high end shops is there any price advantage of buying anything there with the value of their peso vs our USD? Just curious.
enviroian is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 17, 1:04 pm #4
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Thanks.

Speaking of the all the high end shops is there any price advantage of buying anything there with the value of their peso vs our USD? Just curious.
No.
Old Oct 25, 17, 10:24 pm #5
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: Frontier elite, EY gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA once gold now dirt.
Quote:
IIRC Costanera even has an Applebee's! But if it's a clear day you can go to the top of that tallest building in Latin America and see the view (or even if it's not a clear day).

That whole part of town is like an HQ for the gringo will-not-adapt crowd, though if you're spending hotel points it's almost inevitable you end up there. I usually stay either in Barrio Lastarria or the Paris-Londres area just south of downtown...there are lots of independent hostels and a few good hotels like the Novapark. The nearby attractions are much more interesting and the food/drink choices much better, as most of the top TripAdvisor independent places will be in the arc from Barrio Bellavista to Barrio Brasil.
RustyC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:59 pm #6

Programs: UA/AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
That whole part of town is like an HQ for the gringo will-not-adapt crowd, though if you're spending hotel points it's almost inevitable you end up there.
They don't call the area "Sanhattan" for nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanhattan
jaymar01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:21 pm #7

Programs: UA Gold
When I lived in that area in 91-92 it was so much less like that. The building of the US Embassy in the area (the reason I lived there as my mom worked for the general contractor) really changed the flavor. I was there in August and couldnĺt believe how different it is. I do suggest going up to the top of Costanera.
Coskigirl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:36 pm #8

Programs: AA EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Thanks.

It's not necessarily a better value due to currency exchange, but you can buy wines that aren't generally available at home.
FrogProf is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:51 pm #9
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogProf View Post
It's not necessarily a better value due to currency exchange, but you can buy wines that aren't generally available at home.
In fact, I see wines available in California for less than Chile retail. If it is something generally available at home, I don't bother.
Old Yesterday, 2:42 pm #10

Programs: AA EXP
Quote:
In fact, I see wines available in California for less than Chile retail. If it is something generally available at home, I don't bother.
Agreed. I take groups twice a year to Cousi˝o Macul, a small winery on the outskirts of Santiago. I know exactly which of their wines are exported to the US and which are not so I always purchase at least 2 bottles.
FrogProf is offline Reply With Quote