Go Back > > >
Old Nov 5, 17, 4:05 pm #1
Original Poster

Programs: WN A list, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, National EE
New Orleans for New Years Eve

I am looking into a New Years trip using WN and hotel points. Being from Chicago, New Orleans sounds like a nice warm place to be in December.
I can use either Marriott or IHG points for 2 nights. Since I've never been there, should I just concentrate on the French Quarter?
How is public transport there? I do have 2 rental days that I need to use this year or they expire so that is an option.
My plan is to land on Saturday night and fly out on Monday afternoonish.
Is Jackson Square worth it to ring in the new year? Or are hotels better?
Putnik is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:11 pm #2
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
If your idea of a good time is running around the streets and getting fall-down drunk, the French Quarter will be perfect. A better option (IMHO, of course) is going to see live music. Galactic at Tipitina's on NYE, for example, will be great fun.

Public transportation is ok but not great. Don't rent a car though. Use uber or lyft or taxi.
Blumie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:46 pm #3
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; IHG Plat, Marriott Gold; OMNIPat;
Well, just beacuse many others in the Quarter are getting stupid drunk, doesn't mean you have to. Nothing wrong with a nice late dinner, then walking down to the river to watch fireworks...

For a two day trip, there's more than just the final hours of the year, and for the rest of your time, yeah, you'll likely want to be in the French Quarter (with maybe a side trip to the Garden District).

New Years Eve afternoon is the Sugar Bowl parade. There's also a Fan Fest that I'm sure will have music, band not announced yet though.
https://allstatesugarbowl.org/allsta...rs-eve-parade/

If you do want to do the hotel party thing, the biggest one is Big Night New Orleans at the Hyatt.
https://bignightneworleans.com

I do agree, no car. I don't recommend it for first time visitors in general, and with holiday crowds, traffic, street closures, and the inevitable drunks, certainly not for a New Years Eve trip.
swag is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:24 pm #4
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
Quote:
Originally Posted by swag View Post
for the rest of your time, yeah, you'll likely want to be in the French Quarter (with maybe a side trip to the Garden District).
I think you're missing New Orleans if you spend all your time in the french quarter, even for such a short trip. If you're not the fall-down-drunk type, doing a 2- to 3-hour self-guided tour, easily pulled off the web, strikes me as more than sufficient. Same with the Garden District, although I think an hour is sufficient. I would add a ride on the St Charles streetcar, which for $1.25 offers a great tour. Get off uptown, get a poboy, and then ride back. Have a leisurely lunch or dinner in the courtyard at Bacchanal. Spend an afternoon in the warehouse district. I love the Ogden Museum and people rave about the WWII museum. Go to city park, where beignets at morning call is far more relaxing, imho, than at cafe du monde. And I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting New Years festivities going on.

By the way, be prepared for cooler weather. Don't expect it to be hot over New Years.
Blumie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:15 pm #5

I'd recommend the new Crescent Park or taking the ferry across the river for the fireworks. For New Years, the quarter will be very crowded so do not drive and plan on walking a lot - I'd skip the rental. Most of what you'll want to see is accessible by public transportation. One nice tradition is to take in a fancy dinner at one of the old classic restaurants before the countdown, but be sure to make reservations early.

There is plenty of outdoor activities and parks, but depending on the weather, I'd add the WWII museum and surrounding art galleries and museums to the list.
prokowave is offline Reply With Quote