Go Back > > >
Old Oct 29, 09, 2:05 pm #1
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Check bags thru with 2 separate flights??

I know I have done this in the past, but that was likely 18 months ago.

Has anyone recently been able to (or denied from) checking bags all the way to final destination when having 2 reservations with a connection?

I found booking 2 separate flights was cheaper under the current sale ($70 vs. $95 OW) and also get 2 RR points vs. 1.

I can probably do carry on, but wanted to know in advance if they still allow checking bags all the way thru if I have 2 separate (connection is ample time) reservations?

Thanks.
SAPMAN is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 09, 2:09 pm #2

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
We have on two separate carriers by presenting our reservations for the other flight.
Italy98 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 09, 2:49 pm #3

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPMAN View Post
I can probably do carry on, but wanted to know in advance if they still allow checking bags all the way thru if I have 2 separate (connection is ample time) reservations?
No problems with this. I did it a few months ago when I flew SMF-SAN-TUS.

Just a heads up, you'll have to go to the full service counter if you do this at OAK. It's the counter off on the far right. It might take the agent a minute to understand what you want to do, but they'll get it. Some complain but I've never been told no.

A side note, they were even able to print my BP for the SAN-TUS leg in Sacramento.
tusphotog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 09, 2:59 pm #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy98 View Post
We have on two separate carriers by presenting our reservations for the other flight.
That won't happen on Southwest; they don't have interline agreements.
rove312 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 09, 5:21 pm #5
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
That won't happen on Southwest; they don't have interline agreements.
I'm sure Italy meant two flights --- not carriers.

And thanks everyone that replied. I know I have done this often, but not for quite some time. Just wanted to confirm the process is the same.
SAPMAN is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 09, 8:52 pm #6

Programs: Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AA Plat
In case anyone is interested, the time I did this the agent sort of narrated what she was doing. It seems the way they do it is to modify your first leg to add a standby segment on the same flight as your second leg. They then print off the luggage tags and modify the reservation to delete the standby leg.
maracle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 17, 4:11 pm #7

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
on the new reservation system

A quick update to an old thread from a conversation with a SW agent who was checking my bags thru:

The procedure to check bags thu was not part of the regular training on the new system. (It does make sense to master the basics first with new software.) So if you encounter an agent that says they can't do it anymore, tell them it's on the F9 screen.
lougord99, steved5480 and bobunf like this.
ray1111 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 17, 5:13 pm #8

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass, Hertz Gold+ 5-Star, Hyatt Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1111 View Post
A quick update to an old thread from a conversation with a SW agent who was checking my bags thru:

The procedure to check bags thu was not part of the regular training on the new system. (It does make sense to master the basics first with new software.) So if you encounter an agent that says they can't do it anymore, tell them it's on the F9 screen.
It's unfortunate (although not surprising) that we have to do GK's job for him.

Thanks very much for this!
steved5480 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 17, 10:02 pm #9

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved5480 View Post

A little harsh don't you think? There's nothing here to indicate that someone didn't know how to do their job. It's just a tip should a traveler encounter someone who is possibly unfamiliar with one aspect.

And after all, isn't HUACA the mantra of FT'ers? Why would this situation be any different. Lots of airline employees don't know lots of info about their jobs at lots of airlines.
NextTrip and bobunf like this.
justhere is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 7:41 am #10

I just experienced this last week. These are called a point to point reservation. Before the new software, I always bought 2 tickets to travel from Houston to Sacramento. 2 reasons. 1. It is always cheaper that way(Houston to LAX has some very low fares) 2. I receive 2 segment credits.

Before the software change I had bought a point to point ticket for Hou-SMF that I would be flying after the software change. When it came time to fly, I went to the ticket counter and told the SW rep that I was on a point to point reservation. She said they could not do those anymore w/ the new software. They could not "combine" the 2 tickets. So bottom line I would have had to get my bags at LAX and go back and check to SMF. The problem was I had to close of a connection to make it work. So I had to call LAX baggage when I got to SMF and ask them to put them on the next flt to SMF.

I keep checking w/ the ticket agents and ask if they have figured out how to do a point to point reservation. I have not found one whom knows how to do them at this time.

Hope this helps.
milesintexas is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 7:44 am #11
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved5480 View Post

No, you don't. Nothing in the post remotely suggests that you must do this. The agent in the poster's situation didn't need it.

You may stand there and wait while the agent calls her help desk to get the proper procedure for a procedure which, if WN follows industry developing. practice, it will eliminate, e.g., checking bags across tickets.
Often1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 8:27 am #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
Why would this situation be any different. Lots of airline employees don't know lots of info about their jobs at lots of airlines.
'Forgive them for they know not what they do' should not be workaday absolution.
steved5480 likes this.
LegalTender is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 8:56 am #13
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: LTP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
'Forgive them for they know not what they do' should not be workaday absolution.
Yea, it's amazing what the consumer has to endure today. It's shoddy training, "rules" that are too complex or unintuitive programming or likely all 3.

Just yesterday I had to step behind the counter at BJ's to help decipher a screen and often need to point out what key to hit at Lowes to process a tax exempt transaction...

"I say forgive them Lord They know not what they've done"
steved5480 likes this.
joshua362 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 10:56 am #14

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
I didn't say it should. But glad to see you are keeping me on my toes.
justhere is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 4:11 pm #15

Tweet today makes it seem they can no longer check bags thru to destination on two separate reservations.
ursine1 is online now Reply With Quote