Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page > Flying BA to LHR from GIB

Flying BA to LHR from GIB

Old Sep 29, 17, 6:54 am
Original Poster
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Flying BA to LHR from GIB

A few questions:

1. For an 11:50am flight in which I will check in online, what time should I arrive if I have a bag to check or if I have no bag to check?

2. I've paid to check in a bag but it borders the size of a carryon and I'd like to take it with me on the plane if possible. How strict is security at GIB? Would I likely be able to get it passed the X-ray machines?

3. If the gate agent takes takes my bag, would BA charge me for gate checking? If they would, it's not worth trying to take it with me as I've already paid for check in.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 17, 7:22 am

Programs: MUCCI
1. As GIB is a compact airport, it is safe to arrive relatively late. I often arrive about 45 mins before departure, sometimes a bit less. But I know what I'm doing (including knowing when to expect runway crossing delays).

A key thing to remember is that the airport terminal is north of the runway, and the bulk of Gibraltar is south of the runway. Given the airport tunnel still under constitution, this means you can get held up when the runway crossing barriers are down for aircraft landing. And sometimes scheduled aircraft do land in quick succession, holding the barriers down for a while. Any private ops or miliatary ops are usually scheduled close to the civilian scheduled times - to avoid extra closings of the road.

An 1150 BA departure means it is a Friday. The only (scheduled) aircraft movement before the BA on a Friday is the easyjet from bristol (lands 1100), BA lands 1105 (in practice could be either order, and barriers might be closed for both if they arrive together). The easyjet to bristol departs 1130. You will obviously want to be at the airport before then.

Personally, unless I wanted to buy something from the shops, I'd suggest you arrive not much earlier than 1050. If you will have lounge access, it has a good view of the runway. But the public departure lounge terrace also has a good view of the runway. If you made sure you were checked in - and through security by about 1045-50 you could watch your aircraft (and the easyjet) land, even if they are bit ahead of schedule.

(In the old days - before the airlines reduced their turn around times - people used to wait at home until they had seen the plane land before going to the airport).

2. Will it fit in the BA cabin bag sizer? If it will fit, it will be fine - they don't over police BA.

3. I'd doubt they would charge you.

If a flight is busy they might look for people to try to persuade to part with bags to free up overhead bin space.

(will reply to your other thread in a mo, sorry have been offline for a while.)
Old Sep 29, 17, 2:00 pm
Original Poster
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

I hadn't considered the wait time when the road is closed to departing/arriving aircraft. Thank you! I don't have lounge access so I'll be in the public waiting area. I'd like to arrive between 10:30 and 10:45 and I'll probably go by taxi from the Rock Hotel. Would 10:15 be a good time for a taxi pickup?

Thank you again for your time.
Old Sep 30, 17, 8:15 am

10:15 sounds fine to me.

Rock Hotel may also be able to arrange transport. Occasionally I see them dropping people off / picking them themselves.
Old Oct 2, 17, 10:05 pm
Original Poster
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Originally Posted by David-A View Post
10:15 sounds fine to me.

Rock Hotel may also be able to arrange transport. Occasionally I see them dropping people off / picking them themselves.
Thanks. The Rock is arranging transportation to pick me up (and others on my flight). I'll ask about the return trip to the airport after I arrive.

I feel so bad for all of the travelers who bought tickets on Monarch. Last minute fares on BA and EasyJet I imagine are astronomical and my BA flights wil probablyl be oversold. I still see Monarch flights listed through Sunday October 8 on the Gibraltar airport website.

Last edited by Analise; Oct 2, 17 at 10:12 pm
Old Oct 3, 17, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
I feel so bad for all of the travelers who bought tickets on Monarch. Last minute fares on BA and EasyJet I imagine are astronomical and my BA flights wil probablyl be oversold. I still see Monarch flights listed through Sunday October 8 on the Gibraltar airport website.
People flying out of Gibraltar to the UK are fine for the next few weeks.

Rescue flights are being provided - yesterday we had two Titan aircraft come in for two of the Monarch flights, the other 2 monarch flights were coached to Malaga and merged with other flights.

http://chronicle.gi/2017/10/monarch-...ine-customers/

People flying to Gibraltar need to be re-provided for, but I think there is just the capacity, at least for people looking to move initially.

There is however longer term far more demand on the routes than there is capacity for, so I'd expect new operators or extra flights from existing operators quickly.

Gibraltar has historically been a market where people were hesitant to try to barge into outside of an opportunity. What doesn't help is that many of the UK airlines don't properly understand the market until they operate it. It is NOT bucket and spade holiday makers - although there are some, it is not 'city executives' flying back and forth london frankfurt, etc - although there are a number.
It is more 'general all round travel - people moving back and forth as part of their regular lives to visit family, attend university, travel, business (at all levels, not just 'corporate').

Literally every airline that has started it has come in with a model that needed tuning. After that they have found it reasonably lucrative.
- Monarch fleet was predominantly A321, with a couple of A320s, the A321 can't do GIB economically (weight issues), but Monarch would have their A320s fly complex W patterns so they could operate to GIB from UK airports where they didn't have an A320 based.

I'd expect more capacity, one way or another within a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 3, 17, 9:11 am
Original Poster
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Thank you for the article. This is a telling picture of Monarch crowds of passengers at GiB awaiting coaches to Malaga.

Will they be lining up each day this week? GIB from what you said is a small airport. Will it affect BA departures Friday morning?

The people interviewed in the article were quite calm about this bankruptcy. That's impressive.
Old Oct 3, 17, 10:09 am

Will they be lining up each day this week? GIB from what you said is a small airport. Will it affect BA departures Friday morning?
I'm sure you will see signage for Monarch customers, depending upon flight times you might see them

It will not affect other flights at all.
Gibraltar Airport is small, but there is space.

Also, there have not really been big delays for people. It is working quite well I gather.
Old Oct 5, 17, 10:54 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
I hadn't considered the wait time when the road is closed to departing/arriving aircraft. Thank you! I don't have lounge access so I'll be in the public waiting area. I'd like to arrive between 10:30 and 10:45 and I'll probably go by taxi from the Rock Hotel. Would 10:15 be a good time for a taxi pickup?

Thank you again for your time.
My best advice once you're through security (assuming the weather is nice) and in the departure lounge/area is to go to 36 North. Get a drink and go out onto the terrace and watch your plane landing with the Rock providing a suitably dramatic backdrop. Here's a view of the terrace.
Old Oct 12, 17, 12:57 pm
Original Poster
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

I got my drink and sat on the terrace. It was a wonderful trip. A very easy airport!

Search this Thread