Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page > Current events in Barcelona

Current events in Barcelona

Old Oct 10, 17, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska
Barcelona is safe for tourists

I just got back a few days ago and besides increased police presence at the Las Ramblas, I didn't see anything. We were actually happy to see the Police presence since there was an attack on the very street we were eating in August. There were just there in case, friendly chatting away with people and not like the US unapproachable. I'll go back next year, what happens in the meantime is anyone's guess.

Happy travels.
Old Oct 19, 17, 9:55 pm

Anyone in Barcelona Now Who Can Say What It's Like?

Am I crazy to be thinking of going there next week?
Old Oct 20, 17, 3:11 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
As a tourist there is minimal impact. You will notice a lot more flags and maybe some concentrations in a few central areas, but that's about it.
Old Oct 20, 17, 11:05 am

We’ll be arriving in Barcelona in 2 days, so I’ll keep you posted. Based on comments from locals, LupineChemist’s point is accurate for the moment, save for added army troops in the area. There is certainly fear of an escalation given political impasse, but nothing at the moment.
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Any news of planned demonstrations or work stoppages coming up for the next week? I am due to arrive at BCN in 2days, Monday Oct. 23. I'd hate to arrive and find out Cannot get into the city to my hotel because there is a general strike affecting transportation. if thousands and thousands of people arrive at the airport but cannot leave how would that work?
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Will also arrive in 2 days, on Monday Oct. 23. my concern is arriving at BCN to find a general strike or work stoppage that prevents travelers from leaving the airport and getting to hotels in the city. I have a car pick up service arranged but if he cannot get to the airport due to blocked roads how would I and thousands of arriving visitors make it to the central city?
Old Oct 23, 17, 1:25 pm

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Elite
Recent news reports suggest tourism is down significantly since the political issues have taken center stage.

We were there October 11-13, right in-between the referendum and the later aftermath, and Barcelona was absolutely normal, with no evidence of any political unrest or any disruptions. We even took the new Metro line (L-9 Sud) to the airport, which is great, because it serves Terminal 1 directly.
Old Oct 23, 17, 1:28 pm
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd somehow suspect a greater security presence, including longer lines at the airport. Allow extra time.

Of course the standard advice to avoid demonstrations and, where possible, crowds, would hold.

I think now would be an interesting time to be in Barcelona.
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:48 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I think the biggest risk for a tourist right now is having transportation issues if there is a new general strike at some point, but I think that's a pretty low possibility and not all that severe, particularly within the city when you can walk in the worst case.
Old Oct 24, 17, 6:43 am

Barcelona

new date line given to catalonian president to stop that independence nonsense. My guess is that things will get worse in a month, so for the ones that can change their travel planning, i,ll advise them to do so
Old Oct 27, 17, 2:05 am

FWIW, the city has remained quite peaceful so far. Lots of Police / Guardia Civil around sensitive sites.. There was a massive protest last Saturday that attracted around 450,000 people, with no significant incidents. There was supposed to be a transportation strike affecting taxis beginning yesterday (Thursday); but it didn’t seem to materialize.

More meetings / possible referendums today by the Catalan Parliament regarding an independence declaration could add some strife, so we wait and observe.
Old Oct 27, 17, 10:05 am

Programs: WN A list CP, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, National EE
Catalan Parliament just voted for independence.
Old Oct 29, 17, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
Any news of planned demonstrations or work stoppages coming up for the next week? I am due to arrive at BCN in 2days, Monday Oct. 23. I'd hate to arrive and find out Cannot get into the city to my hotel because there is a general strike affecting transportation. if thousands and thousands of people arrive at the airport but cannot leave how would that work?
private car- thats what we will be doing. No cancellations or port changes yet for us. Lots of warnings from the US Embassy and the STEP program.

https://step.state.gov/step/
Old Oct 30, 17, 2:27 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by boerne View Post
private car- thats what we will be doing. No cancellations or port changes yet for us. Lots of warnings from the US Embassy and the STEP program.

https://step.state.gov/step/
We've had a few cruise ships diverted to Valencia the past month, nice uptick in business for my Valenciabros.
Old Oct 30, 17, 4:06 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
No problem driving down from Andorra to Barcelona today. We weren't stopped by Andorra customs nor Spanish customs. No sign of any abnormal activity.

However driving up to Andorra from France we saw a huge 2 km long queue heading back into France. But that's due to France's reaction to terrorism plus their obsession with cigarette and alcohol taxes. Plus it was Sunday. Hopefully we won't see that on the coast route on the way back.

Search this Thread