Nov 5, 17, 7:25 am
Join Date: Apr 2006
Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by deaddog
We will be in Lisbon on Dec 25 to celebrate my wife's birthday - and I'm facing the traditional hassle of finding a great restaurant for dinner on Christmas.
I've been surfing the web like crazy but have found no good candidates. Can any of you make a recommendation - in a perfect world, it would be a non-hotel, non stuffy (no gold plate), superb food restaurant without a "special" Christmas menu.
Of course, I'll take what I can get, so all recommendations welcome.
You're in trouble.
It's not only Christmas day, but also a Monday, when most nicer restaurants take their weekly day off. I was going to suggest a nice Chinese restaurant (because those folks tend to not celebrate Christmas and are more likely to be open) but can't even find one open. Even the nice cantonese restaurant at Casino Estoril is closed on Mondays.
It may be easier to find a new wife (one with a birthday not on 12/25) than to find a suitable non-hotel restaurant in Lisbon on Christmas Monday.
Or relax the non-hotel requirement. There are some nice hotel restaurants in Lisbon. Here is a short list.
- The Terraço restaurant in the rooftop of the Tivoli Avenida Liberdade hotel is quite nice, has a new chef and nice views towards the castle.
- The Varanda Restaurant at the Four Seasons, although a bit stuffier, is likely to be be open and provide a good and pricey experience
- Restaurante Lisboeta, in the Pousada de Lisboa right downtown on Praça do Comércio
- Restaurante Anfora, in the NAU Hotel Palácio do Governador, with views towards the Belém tower
- The River Lounge, in the Myriad hotel, great river views in the Expo/Oriente part of town
I would think most or all of these would be open, and provide a good experience for your current wife, until you can find another with a more suitable birth date. They may have Christmas "specials", though. Call their concierges to find out.