Go Back > > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:42 am #1
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Hate starwood so much thinking of switching to United

I realize that this post may not make much sense since Marriott and SPG have technically merged but after three pathetic stays at SPG all due in large part to employee incompetence on my three most recent Sheraton stays and to generally dirty hoteld - I am questioning why Delta would choose to affiliate themselves and their cross over rewards with a hotel chain that probably has a lot more in common with Spirit or Frontier than with Delta.

Delta (and the Marriott merger) brought me to Starwood and now I am seriously so pissed at Starwood that Marriott may bring me back to United due to the fact United associates themselves with a better hotel chain (amd believe me I am no fan of United).

It is just incredible - 1000 plus nights at Marriott with a handful of issues; three stays at Sheraton in one week and they are all disasters.
Tedgrrrr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:10 am #2

Programs: Skymiles GM
Geez... Starwood runs great hotels, I think you've just had bad luck.
JacksonOBrian likes this.
jamiestr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:32 am #3

Programs: DL DM 1.1MM, UA 1K, MAR PLT, SPG PLT, HH GLD
Starwood used to be a great brand but I have witnessed customer service steadily decline.. to include walking elites from hotels, inability to confirm a room 72 hours in advance despite having a published SPG Platinum benefit (this happens regularly), rude and incompetent phone agents etc. I've had a far more consistent experience with Marriott. It's a bit disappointing and I for one would be happy for Delta to switch partners.
langbr01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:11 am #4

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
I think hotel loyalty is over-rated. Airlines are moving in this direction sadly. But I'm a gold at hilton. I would barely notice if I wasn't. Sure different programs and different levels, but this is my perspective.
micstatic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:27 am #5

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Why not stay in Hilton’s? There is an MQM bonus running now.
EmptyKim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:30 am #6
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Seems like an airline change is unnecessary unless a vast majority of your earnings are through hotel partnerships.

If you like DL, stick around. If you want to stay at Marriott instead do that and bank UA miles and occasionally redeem on Star Alliance airlines.
C W is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:33 am #7

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100
OP - some Sheratons in the US are older (even some Westins) and can be more run down. Sheratons are nice for a 3.5 star brand (in the US) but I would hardly say they are Starwood's pinnacle. I recently stayed at the Sheraton Dallas Galleria, which is under renovation.

They put me in a newly renovated room. Cool! I did see one of the unrenovated rooms and floors, and it was like a completely different hotel. Which is probably why they are renovating it.

Marriott acquired Starwood mainly because Starwood has such a presence in the upper tier/luxury brands in major metropolitan areas. I would dare say you would think differently of Starwood if you spent a night in a St Regis/Luxury Collection/selected Ws.

I recently stayed at a W in the Middle East and it was arguably one of my worst Starwood experiences. Every hotel can have flaws, no matter how good.

Sorry you had 3 bad experiences with Sheratons - which, btw, you should contact management at the property about, as they are usually equipped to compensate guests with legitimate issuea well at Sheratons in the US - but you should give a nicer brand in their portfolio a try.
PaulInTheSky and bhrubin like this.
btonkid12345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:36 am #8

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Interesting, the SPG affiliation was one of the things I counted as a Pro when it came to staying with Delta.

ultimately not strong enough and Im off to United for 2018, but certainly not because of SPG
gigglypug is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:42 am #9

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree that Sheratons are generally poor properties, but many of the other properties in the SPG program are quite nice.

That said, if you prefer Marriott, stay there. Your SPG points transfer instantly/easily to Marriott once you link your accounts - each SPG point being worth 3 Marriott points. Not sure how United bookings transfer to Marriott points, but each dollar spent with Delta gets you 3 points with Marriott - the ~$20K i've spent with DL this year has netted me ~60K points.

Also, you can accrue points on Uber rides, one SPG point per dollar.
pauly_long is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:50 am #10

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by micstatic View Post
I think hotel loyalty is over-rated. Airlines are moving in this direction sadly. But I'm a gold at hilton. I would barely notice if I wasn't. Sure different programs and different levels, but this is my perspective.
Airline definitely going that way or already there.

Hotels... FOR SURE. All the guaranteed or as available upgrades essentially don't exist. I have tried dummy booking and showed it at counter at places that I should get available upgrades... at 9pm for THAT NIGHT. "Sorry no upgrades available".

Really think you going to sell the 4 rooms your website has in the next 3-4 hours?
dinanm3atl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:54 am #11

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platnium, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Embassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
I realize that this post may not make much sense since Marriott and SPG have technically merged but after three pathetic stays at SPG all due in large part to employee incompetence on my three most recent Sheraton stays and to generally dirty hoteld - I am questioning why Delta would choose to affiliate themselves and their cross over rewards with a hotel chain that probably has a lot more in common with Spirit or Frontier than with Delta.

Delta (and the Marriott merger) brought me to Starwood and now I am seriously so pissed at Starwood that Marriott may bring me back to United due to the fact United associates themselves with a better hotel chain (amd believe me I am no fan of United).

It is just incredible - 1000 plus nights at Marriott with a handful of issues; three stays at Sheraton in one week and they are all disasters.
I hope you are aware that post the Marriott/SPG merger, United will be the partner of choice. So moving to United will not solve your problem.

My Advice: Suck it up or go with another airline that will NOT have Marriott as the partner of choice.
NYC1K is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:55 am #12

Programs: DL PM; HZ PC; Natl Exec Elite; SPG; Amex Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly_long View Post

Also, you can accrue points on Uber rides, one SPG point per dollar.
Just a note, this is going away: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/sta...r-partnership/

@Tedgrrrr: This is really funny - I have stayed in some crappy Sheratons (and some that have been quite nice), but never bad enough to equate them to Spirit or Frontier (which would be like.. Motel 6?). Now that Marriott and SPG are so intertwined, I would say that it doesn't make a ton of sense to switch away at this point, considering you can get 3 Marriott points per $1 @ Delta.

I think Starwood has some excellent properties that are quite reasonable in their Four Points and Aloft brands, but given how many hotels there are, there are surely some stinkers.
manacit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:00 am #13
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels and TravelBuzz!

Programs: DL
As this is only tangentially related to Delta, I am moving the thread to the Starwood Forum
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
obscure2k is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:04 am #14

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club
I'm curious why one would choose an airline based on their hotel affiliation. I have been flying exclusively with DL/NW for nearly the past ten years. My hotel choice is equally split between IHG (CC holder also) and Hilton over that time with a couple of stays every year with Marriott (I've had their CC for years now). I did the SPG thing about once every 3 or 4 years even though I got "status" with them through Delta.
yohanson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:18 am #15

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Plat100, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
I find the Marriott link-up with United more attractive than SPG's with Delta because of the Silver status granted to Platinums (and Gold to Plat Premier). Am I missing something about the Delta deal?

In general though, remember that the plural of anecdotes is not data. It's obviously very bad luck to have three bad stays in a row, but in no way is that representative of the Starwood hotel chain.
EuropeanPete is offline Reply With Quote