Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page > Transiting from DAL to DFW

Transiting from DAL to DFW

Old Oct 24, 17, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Transiting from DAL to DFW

Hey flights during Christmas are pretty insane. I will be flying Virgin America from DCA into Love field arriving around 9:37 AM (from DCA) and departing DFW at 12:35 on AA going to Longview, TX. We are planning on taking Uber/Lyft between the 2 airports and based on what I've found, the most time it'll take is 40 min (in normal circumstances). I have several questions-
1. Is it easy to navigate DAL (we aren't checking bags)
2. Can you use rideshare services at Dallas airports?
3. we have alternate flights just in case but are we crazy?? 3 hrs seems like enough, we are both fast and experienced travelers but does anyone else have past experiences that would say this is a bad idea?
Old Oct 24, 17, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
Hey flights during Christmas are pretty insane. I will be flying Virgin America from DCA into Love field arriving around 9:37 AM (from DCA) and departing DFW at 12:35 on AA going to Longview, TX. We are planning on taking Uber/Lyft between the 2 airports and based on what I've found, the most time it'll take is 40 min (in normal circumstances). I have several questions-
3. we have alternate flights just in case but are we crazy?? 3 hrs seems like enough, we are both fast and experienced travelers but does anyone else have past experiences that would say this is a bad idea?
Three hours should be enough, although you don't mention what day & date you're traveling on...
Old Oct 24, 17, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Three hours should be enough, although you don't mention what day & date you're traveling on...
Oh, I'm sorry...its Friday, December 29
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Have you already purchased this?

I'm seeing AA flights DCA-DFW-TYR for about $350, for 12/29, and I used return of the following Friday.
Old Oct 24, 17, 9:23 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K, AA EXP 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat. SPG Plat
Given that Longview is only about 2 hours from DAL, I'd just rent a car
Old Oct 24, 17, 9:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
What Catbert said. One could rent a car at DAL and arrive in GGG long before the AA flight even begins boarding at DFW.
Old Oct 24, 17, 9:43 pm

And frankly, youíll want a car in GGG anyway.
Old Oct 24, 17, 9:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SkyMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
Given that Longview is only about 2 hours from DAL, I'd just rent a car
You could probably Uber to Longview and back for less than your ticket
Old Oct 25, 17, 12:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
As this query is about transiting between two airports and not about AA, we will move this to the Texas destination forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, AAdvantage co-moderator
Old Oct 25, 17, 2:02 am

Programs: Plat AA; Virtuoso; Ritz Stars; FS Pref; Pen fan; Fairmont
If you already purchased your flight - getting between the two airports via ride share is possible and you should have more than enough time.
Old Oct 25, 17, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies, one will be flying on to Longview (one way) and I will be continuing onto Atlanta...therefore renting a car isnít an option.
Old Oct 30, 17, 1:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
This is a very un-Texas thing to do but I actually used public transit not too long ago when I flew back to DFW but my car was at DAL. Budget $1.75 and about 1h15 (must change from light rail to bus at Inwood Station).

I wouldn't do it in bad weather, hot weather, at night, or with any quantity of luggage but on a mild day it wasn't bad at all.

Ironically, it was on a trip where I flew out on a business jet. I liked the juxtaposition of departing DAL on a Gulfstream and arriving on a DART bus!
Old Oct 31, 17, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / one last year as 1K
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post

Budget $1.75 and about 1h15 (must change from light rail to bus at Inwood Station).
Um, budget $1.75 if you travel between 9:30 and 2:30 p.m. on a weekday

$2.50 if not traveling during that time period. Still a good deal

524 from DAL to Love Field / Inwood Station (free FROM DAL, but suggest buying a ticket on the bus in case Orange Line arrives at same time the bus does and you won't have to try to buy a ticket from machine). About 10 minutes, runs every 20 minutes.

Orange Line, about 40 minutes, also runs every 20 minutes.

Not quite as often very early in a.m. or very late in p.m.

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post

Ironically, it was on a trip where I flew out on a business jet. I liked the juxtaposition of departing DAL on a Gulfstream and arriving on a DART bus!
Not quite Biz jet, but I commonly fly Biz and take public transport to / from airport
Old Nov 1, 17, 5:27 pm
cur

Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
1) look around and see if there are deals for shifting vehicles between airports for rental car agencies. something along these lines although i realize this avis deal is of no use https://avis.com/en/offers/us-of...rt-car-rentals

2) keep your eyes peeled for a "free ride from the airport this xmas" deal with the ride shares, although i doubt it'll happen this year: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rt-rides-amex/
Old Nov 1, 17, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
(free FROM DAL, but suggest buying a ticket on the bus in case Orange Line arrives at same time the bus does and you won't have to try to buy a ticket from machine).
I only ride DART once every few years, but they have an app for fare sales so you can buy your ticket and activate it at your leisure. Then you show your active ticket to the bus driver or have it on you if you get fare inspected on the train.
https://dart.org/gopass/

Search this Thread