Baggage loss/delay compensation

Old Feb 4, 05, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Baggage loss/delay compensation

My kid sister flew TG SIN-xBKK-BOM in Y yesterday and TG failed to put her checked bag onto the BKK-BOM flight. Seems like TG does not have an office in BOM and Air India is their handling agent there so they weren't much help. As she was continuing on a domestic flight to GOI, they told her that if they locate her bag, they would only deliver it to GOI on the next Air India flight on that sector which is something like 5 days later. Seems a bit crazy to me considering that TG has a daily flight to BOM and there are something like 10 daily flights between BOM and GOI on other airlines. No offer of any compensation was made by the TG/AI agent at BOM.

She's not really worried as there wasn't anything valuable in the bag and she now has a S$1000 shopping spree ahead of her thanks to her credit card insurance. But she's curious to know what would have happened if she hadn't bought the ticket on her credit card (she's flies once or twice a year and it was something like 3% cheaper in cash...I'm glad she remembered my lecture on putting it on her credit card ).

So the question is, if the ticket had been bought in cash, would TG have provided any sort of compensation for the baggage delay or loss? Has anyone experienced it and what did you receive?
Old Feb 4, 05, 9:38 am

Programs: TG,QF,NW
If you sister was returning home, then it falls under the warsaw pact in regards to international travel. She would not be compensated.

That is why insurance is always recommended
Old Feb 5, 05, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cragley
If you sister was returning home, then it falls under the warsaw pact in regards to international travel. She would not be compensated.

That is why insurance is always recommended
No, she wasn't returning home. This was her outbound flight.
Old Feb 7, 05, 4:35 am

Programs: TG,QF,NW
If it were on the outbound and the bag was lost, then the compensation would have been about $30 per kg regardless of contents.
The actual amount is written on the back of the tickets.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 13, 06, 4:07 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cragley
If it were on the outbound and the bag was lost, then the compensation would have been about $30 per kg regardless of contents.
The actual amount is written on the back of the tickets.

Hope this helps.
Can someone share their experience to if the bag was DELAYED, how does that work out?

thanks a lot , cos mine was last week and wants to know what I can expect from TG (it was HKG-BKK-LHR).
Old Jan 13, 06, 5:36 am

Programs: ROP, Royal Skies, BAEC (Blue)
Originally Posted by kinchai
Can someone share their experience to if the bag was DELAYED, how does that work out?

thanks a lot , cos mine was last week and wants to know what I can expect from TG (it was HKG-BKK-LHR).
Baggage delay happens quite a lot at BKK, especially if the next destination starts with a B, e.g. BOM, BKI or BWN. It just gets left on the BKK carousel as they have problems reading the western script. Although it is THAI's responsibility, it is the airport handlers fault usually.
Delay compensation should be USD100 but you have to complain and push quite hard to get it. They pay up in the end (usually!)
Old Jan 13, 06, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by kinchai

This happened to me recently on a BKK-BOM flight (bag arrived 1 1/2 days later). I had to call the TG town office for the USD 100.- compensation, the AirIndia counter in the airport does not deal with compansation.

The town office was friendly and helpful and they offered the compensation without any hassles. In my case things only got a bit complicated because i didn't have time to pick up the cash personally - so lots of paperwork was required and the messenger had to make 2 trips to the TG office.

I'm not sure about sending the bag on to GOI on AI only. I get my bags mishandled/delayed quite often and so far they were always sent after me with "next available" flight of any airline (which in some cases meant that the bags were actually on a direct fligh and at destination earlier than me ! :-) ). But i don't know if they HAVE to send it on the next available flight or if it is up to TG to decide that.
Old Jan 13, 06, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Update...my sis contacted TG in SIN after she got back and they compensated her with S$180 (about $110) for the 5 day delay. That was in addition to the credit card insurance reimbursement.
Old Jan 14, 06, 10:10 pm

Unhappy

Me too. One time my luggage was sent to Melbourne instead of Madrid as our destination. It was because the loader saw an " M" and the departure time was almost at the same time.re
Old Jan 15, 06, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Savage25
My kid sister flew TG SIN-xBKK-BOM in Y yesterday and TG failed to put her checked bag onto the BKK-BOM flight. Seems like TG does not have an office in BOM and Air India is their handling agent there so they weren't much help. As she was continuing on a domestic flight to GOI, they told her that if they locate her bag, they would only deliver it to GOI on the next Air India flight on that sector which is something like 5 days later. Seems a bit crazy to me considering that TG has a daily flight to BOM and there are something like 10 daily flights between BOM and GOI on other airlines. No offer of any compensation was made by the TG/AI agent at BOM.

She's not really worried as there wasn't anything valuable in the bag and she now has a S$1000 shopping spree ahead of her thanks to her credit card insurance. But she's curious to know what would have happened if she hadn't bought the ticket on her credit card (she's flies once or twice a year and it was something like 3% cheaper in cash...I'm glad she remembered my lecture on putting it on her credit card ).

So the question is, if the ticket had been bought in cash, would TG have provided any sort of compensation for the baggage delay or loss? Has anyone experienced it and what did you receive?
Old Jan 15, 06, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA/AA
My recent experience with Thai airways is similar but a bit different and I am still awaiting a final resolution to the situation. I flew from IAD to JFK on a United Express flight to connect with TG791 from JFK to BKK. Upon Arrival in Bangkok my two pcs. of luggage did not arrive with me and my flight. So I filed the missing luggage report at the airport and gave them my contact information in Bangkok. I was told the luggage would be delivered to my hotel as soon as it could be traced. After calling the lost luggage desk each day to inquire about my bags, they finally arrived four days later. The airline office in Bangkok did provide me with a cash payment of 6000 baht, which equates to US $150 for the "inconvenience".
After collecting my bags at the airport I noticed that a number of items were missing from my luggage so I filed a missing property report with the airline desk at the airport. After travelling around for nearly a month and not hearing a word from Thai Airways, I called to see how they intended to compensate me for the stolen items. A claim form was sent to me to fill out and return listing the missing items and their value. Six weeks have passed and I have yet to be contacted by the airline. I have spoken with their office in NYC regarding this situation and the person I have spoken to has not been able to resolve this matter and fails to " call back by the end of the week " as stated in our conversations ( twice now).
Perhaps its just a Thai thing that if we pretend the situation does not exist it will go away by itself. It seems to me that the failure to follow up and contact a passenger in this situation is highly unprofessional and makes it quite difficult to recommend this carrier to anyone planning to take a Thai Airlines flight. Anyone have any advice or suggestions ?
Old Jan 19, 06, 1:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2018 Cpi-Web Awards

Programs: LH SEN
A colleague had his lugguage not arrive in CCU after travelling PVG-BKK-CCU with plenty of time in BKK. The ground staff gave him 4500 INR on the spot as comp to bridge the gap. Interestingly he was on the inbound leg and not entitled to any comp

Search this Thread