Go Back > > >
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:51 am #61
Cpi-Web Evangelist

AFAIK, Rama 9 will remain on the banknotes for the foreseeable future.

OK, that was last week, now...coins anyway.

RAMA X TO REPLACE RAMA IX ON CURRENCY

BANGKOK — With a new reign will come all new currency.

The minting of coins depicting King Vajiralongkorn will take a step forward Tuesday when the Finance Ministry proposes legislative measures to clear the way, an official said Monday.

Once green-lit in Tuesday’s cabinet meeting, the law will mean new coins entering circulation to mark the reign of King Rama X. Treasury’s Director-General Patchara Anuntasilpa said preparations are complete and only awaiting legal authority.

The new designs, which have not been made public, will cover all existing nine types of coins: 10 baht, 5 baht, 2 baht, 1 baht, 50 satang, 25 satang, 10 satang, 5 satang and one satang.

http://khaosodenglish.com/news/2...a-ix-currency/
transpac is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 8:37 am #62
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Bit of a side track... but how often do people even handle the various satang-coins?

As a tourist, I don't think I've ever been handed anything smaller than a 1bht coin. Even when it might be technically due to me, the cashier has never bothered.
Plato90s is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 9:46 am #63

Satang? Never in the last few years.
CrazyInteg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 9:55 am #64

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
I've ended up with 25s and maybe 50s from time to time...probably from a grocery store
glennaa11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 6:51 pm #65
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
I've ended up with 25s and maybe 50s from time to time...probably from a grocery store
Same here. One particular grocery even.
dsquared37 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 17, 3:32 am #66

Programs: EK Pleb
The Royal Crematorium at Sanam Luang opened to the public this morning with over 30,000 people attending the opening ceremony and to view the magnificent pyre and other structures.

Visitors entered the site through five security checkpoints and waited in tents for their turn to enter the site. Groups of 5,500 people are being allowed entry to the site for a one hour visit.

Organisers are expecting over 100,000 people a day to visit the site between the 2nd and the 30th November.

https://bangkokpost.com/news/gen...ened-to-public

Picture from Bangkok Post.
Oldtiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:11 pm #67

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
I visited yesterday evening. Didn't have to wait at all as I happened to arrive just before 5PM. Not crowded at all (monday evening).

Had my Grab car drop me off at the Ministry of Defence right at the checkpoint for tourists. No one there other than several bored security officials. Was asked for my passport and to show the info page to the camera as I went through the metal detector. No one checked my bag.

One tourist wearing long shorts was told he would not be allowed in and one lady in line ahead of me was taken out of the line before entering Sanam Luang because of her sandals.

It is quite spectacular, especially at night when everything is lit up. I am glad I arrived in time for the 5 PM entry. I stayed around 2 hours. No one was being forced to leave. I saw several different colored badges by the time I left (you are issued a little clip on badge as you enter SL and return it at the exit).
joy16 likes this.
glennaa11 is offline Reply With Quote