Go Back > > >
Old Oct 20, 17, 8:09 pm #31
Cpi-Web Evangelist

120 kmh

I think that is the absolute, maximum, safe operating speed, in a straight line on new tracks, with a hefty tail-wind.

It takes ~ an hour just to crawl through Bangkok at surface crossings, and then factor in ~ 17 stops, curves, single-track, etc. and you get a better feel for an average speed which might be half that figure.
transpac is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 1:13 pm #32
Original Poster

Leaving next week, reserved a room in Chinatown. The hotel has a pickup service for 1500 THB but it sounds like I could just grab a normal taxi from the airport. Anything I should watch out for with the taxis?
ExplorerWannabe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 3:28 pm #33

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
Leaving next week, reserved a room in Chinatown. The hotel has a pickup service for 1500 THB but it sounds like I could just grab a normal taxi from the airport. Anything I should watch out for with the taxis?
Memorize this line and state it the second you get in the cab... "please turn on the meter." If the driver does not turn on the meter, get out before you pull out of the airport queue area. There is a meter, but it may be hidden under a towel or behind a ton of stuff hanging from the rear view mirror.

Email your hotel and ask for the name and address of the hotel to be written out in Thai. You probably won't need it, but if you do, you'll be glad you can just hand that to the cab driver.

Turn on your phone's GPS to make sure the driver is driving the best route. Having been to Bangkok dozens of times, I recently had a driver who drove way out of the way to drive up the cost. I had taken the same route the day before at the same time so I knew what he was doing was wrong. I called the hotel, security met us and I paid what I had paid the day before.

If the driver asks "should I take the back road, it's faster" the answer is "no" unless your GPS shows there is a reason to avoid the highway. The driver is trying to bump up the fare. btw, away from the airport if the driver asks should I take the highway, it's faster and cheaper, the answer is likely no. If it was the quick, fast route the driver wouldn't have to ask your permission. Later, when you realize you've been had, the driver will claim you, an uninformed tourist, agreed to the long route. Having your GPS on will make you informed.

Make sure you have money to pay the tolls. I used to take 20k THB out of the ATM, getting the maximum 20 bills, but I now take out 15,900 so there are some lower amounts mixed in. The toll booth can break a 1k bill, but it's easier to have the lower amount.

Use Uber where you can and you are less likely to get ripped off. The fare is settled before you get in the car and you don't have to worry about having cash in hand. If you need to get a cab, you are less likely to get ripped off if you flag one over versus jumping into one that's parked where you are. At the airport, they will give you the cabbie's information on a piece of paper making it less likely you get ripped off, so long as you make sure the meter is on.

BTW, these recommendations are not for issues that you only find in Bangkok. I do the same everywhere because cab drivers tend to be slimy everywhere, even in my home city of Atlanta.

Oh, and to answer your other question, the amount your hotel wants to charge is obscene, but there are those that prefer a car to a taxi.

Last edited by CJKatl; Nov 4, 17 at 3:38 pm
CJKatl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 7:07 pm #34
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Quote:
A taxi, all up, including airport surcharge and tolls should only be around 400-450, and even that's being generous.

AOT limousines (arrival hall at the airport) can arrange a private car for THB950 for the basic model. There are other companies... one is Thai Transfer that have a special at the moment for THB1400 return (must get a return, otherwise 900 one way).

1500 is just way too much.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 7:21 pm #35
Cpi-Web Evangelist

There's a long taxi thread here, no sense repeating the practices.

The nice thing about the AoT limo service (1,050 all in, incl, tolls with fastlane) is you don't have to wait in the taxi queue. We're into the traditional high season with a ton of tourists, and there have been reports of wait times of 45 minutes for a taxi.

This may the ideal time to visit as we've gotten into the 'winter' season a bit early. Very pleasant weather (in Bangkok anyway) since last Sunday.
transpac is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:34 pm #36
Original Poster

Thanks, that kiosk and chit system worked great. My driver needed to call the hotel as even the Google Maps depiction didn't help him (although he had a general idea when I said it was near Hua Lamphong). However, the meter read 267 when we arrived, no tolls. I only had 50s and 100s from the currency exchange so I gave him 350 THB and he seemed very happy.
ExplorerWannabe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:29 am #37

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
If the driver asks "should I take the back road, it's faster" the answer is "no" unless your GPS shows there is a reason to avoid the highway. The driver is trying to bump up the fare. btw, away from the airport if the driver asks should I take the highway, it's faster and cheaper, the answer is likely no. If it was the quick, fast route the driver wouldn't have to ask your permission. Later, when you realize you've been had, the driver will claim you, an uninformed tourist, agreed to the long route. Having your GPS on will make you informed.
There are several ways to/from the airport. A taxi driver taught us the way via Bangna, which we now use all the time when driving. It does seem to be a smoother run, although it looks like it's more indirect. Most taxis take the other route I think.

The 'highway (tollway) or not ?' question depends on the time of day and whether you're in a hurry or not. If it's late at night, either upstairs (raised highway) or downstairs (regular road underneath) will be much the same. The driver asks your permission because you will have to hand over 50 baht at the tollway. It will be faster at some times. But in peak hour you may wonder what you are paying for.

By my observation of Thai taxi meters, taxis earn little by standing still or moving slowly - so it's in their best interests to get you to your destination by the least busy route.

Taxis sometimes go by circuitous routes in Bangkok, usually for good reason. For example, when going from Sanam Luang to Yannawa (on the same side of the river), they will cross to the other side of the river and then cross back again. That is the route I would take too - it's a much better run - but it looks crazy on the GPS.

There was a time when Bangkok taxis were pretty bad. These days they can mostly be trusted.
timster is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:12 am #38
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Quote:
Thanks, that kiosk and chit system worked great. My driver needed to call the hotel as even the Google Maps depiction didn't help him (although he had a general idea when I said it was near Hua Lamphong). However, the meter read 267 when we arrived, no tolls. I only had 50s and 100s from the currency exchange so I gave him 350 THB and he seemed very happy.
Of course he's happy - 300bht would have been the normal amount.
Plato90s is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:20 am #39
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato90s View Post
Of course he's happy - 300bht would have been the normal amount.
If the meter was 267, plus airport surcharge of 50 - that would be 327? (or is the surcharge rolled in to the meter now?)
Old Yesterday, 8:52 am #40
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
If the meter was 267, plus airport surcharge of 50 - that would be 327? (or is the surcharge rolled in to the meter now?)
Last few times, the driver immediately added 50bht to the meter as soon as I got in.

They don't want to argue with tourists who don't bother to notice the 50bht notice. Doing it right at the airport before leaving helps to alleviate that issue.

Airport to Hualamphong shouldn't be 250bht+ without major traffic or the 50bht fee added-in.
Plato90s is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:31 am #41

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by timster View Post
There was a time when Bangkok taxis were pretty bad. These days they can mostly be trusted.
Disagree! I just had an incident where I was driven around to bring up the fare. It happened a few months ago. On Tuesday a driver took a direct route. It was 200 THB and 15-20 minutes from Khaosan Rd to the Marquis. The next day, the same route and time, a driver had me in the car for almost 90 minutes and way down southeast of the hotel for a much higher fare. He lied and said I wanted to take the highway, when I said take the direct route. And I had to get out of cabs a few times recently when the meter wouldn't be turned on. It's gotten worse.

As for the highway or any other route, that's why I turn on my GPS. It takes current traffic into account and will tell me if there is a reason to take a circuitous route.
CJKatl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 3:55 am #42
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhr/mel/europe ff View Post
if the meter was 267, plus airport surcharge of 50 - that would be 327? (or is the surcharge rolled in to the meter now?)
267+ 50 = ??

:d
dsquared37 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:49 am #43
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
267+ 50 = ??

:d
yes well... math has never been my strong point
dsquared37 likes this.