Go Back > >
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:20 am #1
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs
Travel Insurance - Air <> Amtrak

Good morning, FT Nation.

Has anyone ever used travel insurance on an itinerary including Amtrak?

I'm having trouble finding any policy that covers misconnection between a flight and a train. Even the Amtrak insurance policy through Allianz doesn't cover this.

I've got about 4h to get from MDW to Chicago Amtrak on a Saturday morning. It's the first flight of the day for this aircraft, so I'm relatively comfortable ... but .... you never know.

Many thanks.
TBD is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:15 pm #2

We buy Generali Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) and they paid our claim on a missed connection via train due to wild fire (CA coast) to an air ticket that was also insured (meaning we insured both the cost of Amtrak and United).

Read the policy re: time window re: mis connection coverages to apply. Our plan was 6 hours. https://generalitravelinsurance....nce-plans.html

Our situation included a natural disaster so I would call Customer Service for advice. They were very helpful with our claim.
cargo13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:07 am #3
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargo13 View Post
We buy Generali Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) and they paid our claim on a missed connection via train due to wild fire (CA coast) to an air ticket that was also insured (meaning we insured both the cost of Amtrak and United).

Read the policy re: time window re: mis connection coverages to apply. Our plan was 6 hours. https://generalitravelinsurance....nce-plans.html

Our situation included a natural disaster so I would call Customer Service for advice. They were very helpful with our claim.
Hm - I'm not sure if I could relate this to my situations.

1 - You missed a flight, which does seem to be a covered mode of transportation. It's missing a train that doesn't seem to be covered anywhere.
2 - Since this was a natural disaster (declared as such), it may be in a different category.

If I miss my train because of snow, that's one thing. If I miss my train because ... idk the airline screwed up crew rest planning ... then I'm SOL. The second is what I'm trying to avoid (and doesn't seem covered by anyone).
TBD is offline Reply With Quote