Go Back > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:51 pm #11791
Original Poster

Programs: A few airline and car rental companies
Per JoeDTW: 7. A friend has invited you to Knoxville, Tennessee to join him at an SEC football game between the hometown Tennessee Vols and their cross state rivals the Vanderbilt Commodores. Can you get down to Knoxville by Friday night? Hmm… From Ronkonkoma that will probably involve quite a convoluted schedule. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a single daily one stop direct flight that will get you into Knoxville in time for dinner and drinks on Friday night. Identify the airport you’ll be departing from (see question 5), the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
HINT
: It's not Piedmont, US Air or American. The airplane was not built by Boeing

For Question 7, the logical choices have been ruled out, so it's time to get illogical. I'll go with a Continental DC-9, via IAD.

Oh there's still room for a logical choice or two, including the airline that actually flew this trip. Unfortunately for this post, that airline was not Continental, nor was the aircraft a DC-9.

But here - let me throw out a major bone here - the aircraft was foreign built. Now, thinking about the foreign built aircraft operating in the US in 1988 and the airlines operating them - including one airline that has since been ruled out here - well, there just aren't many options left.

Really now - am I gonna have to forward this one to WHBM?
(GASP!) No!! Not WHBM!!!
Yes! If one of youse doesn't answer this question right now, he may be our only salvation!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 6, 17 at 7:58 pm
Seat 2A is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:05 pm #11792
Original Poster

Only four questions left. Surely you should be able to easily clean these up by tomorrow. Good Luck!

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1988 POCKET FLIGHT GUIDE
Except question 9 which is sourced from a late 1988 OAG

7. A friend has invited you to Knoxville, Tennessee to join him at an SEC football game between the hometown Tennessee Vols and their cross state rivals the Vanderbilt Commodores. Can you get down to Knoxville by Friday night? Hmm… From Ronkonkoma that will probably involve quite a convoluted schedule. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a single daily one stop direct flight that will get you into Knoxville in time for dinner and drinks on Friday night. Identify the airport you’ll be departing from (see question 5), the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
HINT: It's not US Air, Piedmont, Continental or American or BN/ZO. Additionally, the aircraft was built overseas but not in France.

8. The Salt Lake City to Minneapolis route has traditionally been operated by Western/Delta. In mid-1988 however, there were four airlines offering nonstop service on this route. Identify each of the four airlines involved. And – just to make it interesting – the only correct answer accepted will be the one that correctly identifies ALL four of the airlines, i.e. it's like a combination lock so three out of four will be considered incorrect. Go get ‘em, guys!

9. You’re in Montreal, Quebec when the home office calls and requests you get down to Houston, Texas branch office ASAP. No problem! Then again, this could involve a connection. Or two. Mais non! Amazingly, there is a single almost daily (X7) direct flight that makes three enroute stops. First Class is available and a snack and luncheon will be served enroute. Alright then – who you gonna be flying on, where you gonna be stopping and what kind of plane you gonna be flying on?
HINT: It's not CO. Nor is it AC, DL or US. The aircraft is a Boeing 737-200. One of the stops is Nashville (BNA). Another is Baltimore (BWI)

THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS BASED UPON AN AIRLINE AD

16. In its 1947 advertisements, this European airline referred to its largest trans-Atlantic aircraft as “Comets”. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so referenced.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 6, 17 at 10:18 pm
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:13 pm #11793
used to be 'jrl22'

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (IAD area) and near LAX
Programs: DL PM 1.2MM; AS MVPG
7- I caught the "major bone" and immediately thought of the Fokker F.28, but the airline that I know was operating that jet in 1988 (PI) has already been ruled out

the subsequent hint seems to point to our (well, WHBM's for sure) old friend the BAC One-Eleven ... I'm going on memory rather than tangible old OAGs or timetables (or digital images thereof), but that would be Braniff II (post-acquisition of Florida Express); I don't recall either BN or ZO serving ISP, much less where one of their flights might have stopped between ISP and TYS, but just for the sake of discussion I'll say it backtracked thru the Orlando (MCO) hub

9- in the 1988 timeframe,PI's other hub besides BWI and CLT was Dayton (DAY)
jrl767 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:15 pm #11794

Programs: AA Gold (for a little while). Lots of AA & AS miles & BA Avios, AF Petro Club, former CO Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

Per JoeDTW: 2. Further perusal of your pocket flight guide reveals that as of late 1988, there is only one type of foreign built twin jet serving Las Vegas. A total of two flights are operated into LAS with this aircraft type, each of them by a different airline, and each from a different city. Identify the twin jet, each airline that flies it and each route it flies into Las Vegas.
HINT
: The aircraft is the Airbus A300. One of the airlines is Continental.

My guess for the other A300 operator would be AA, from ORD. As for CO, let's close the question out with IAH.

That's the ticket! I thought it was pretty strange to see that AA AB3 on the ORD-LAS schedule as it seemed - to an inveterate OAG reader like myself - that the airplane was most commonly utilized back east. And perhaps it was.

AA 805 Chicago (ORD) 250p - 441p Las Vegas (LAS) Eqp. AB3 Op. Daily Meal: Snack
During the early 1990's, American was operating the A300-600R nonstop between LAX and MIA. I flew on AA A300 aircraft several times between Los Angeles and Miami and with just 16 seats in first class in a 2-2-2 seating configuration it was a tough upgrade to score. I never did get upgraded on these A300 flights between LAX and MIA. BTW, there were 251 seats in coach on this two class version of the AA A300-600R.

During the mid and late 1990's into the early 2000's, American was also operating the airplane to a number of destinations in the Caribbean including their hub at the time in San Juan as well as to Aruba, Kingston, Port-au-Prince, Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo.

And by the late summer of 2001, American was operating transatlantic nonstop service between JFK and LHR with the A300-600R with three round trip flights a day according to an AA system timetable at the time. I believe these airplanes were operated in a three class international seating configuration.
jlemon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:15 pm #11795
Original Poster

Per jrl767: 7. A friend has invited you to Knoxville, Tennessee to join him at an SEC football game between the hometown Tennessee Vols and their cross state rivals the Vanderbilt Commodores. Can you get down to Knoxville by Friday night? Hmm… From Ronkonkoma that will probably involve quite a convoluted schedule. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a single daily one stop direct flight that will get you into Knoxville in time for dinner and drinks on Friday night. Identify the airport you’ll be departing from (see question 5), the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
HINT
: It's not US Air, Piedmont, Continental or American. Additionally, the aircraft was built overseas.

I caught the "major bone" and immediately thought of the Fokker F.28, but the airline that I know was operating that jet in 1988 (PI) has already been ruled out

The subsequent hint seems to point to our (well, WHBM's for sure) old friend the BAC One-Eleven ... I'm going on memory rather than tangible old OAGs or timetables (or digital images thereof), but that would be Braniff II (post-acquisition of Florida Express); I don't recall either BN or ZO serving ISP, much less where one of their flights might have stopped between ISP and TYS, but just for the sake of discussion I'll say it backtracked thru the Orlando (MCO) hub

Sorry, J, but it was not BN/ZO and the aircraft was not a BAC 111. Looks like this one's going into the final round! What other foreign built jet aircraft (not built in France) was operating at this time? You're gonna knock yourself in the head like a V-8 commercial when it comes to you. I await your response - or that of whoever gets back to me first on this one! Maybe it'll be our pal across the pond...

Per jrl767: 9. You’re in Montreal, Quebec when the home office calls and requests you get down to Houston, Texas branch office ASAP. No problem! Then again, this could involve a connection. Or two. Mais non! Amazingly, there is a single almost daily (X7) direct flight that makes three enroute stops. First Class is available and a snack and luncheon will be served enroute. Alright then – who you gonna be flying on, where you gonna be stopping and what kind of plane you gonna be flying on?
HINT
: It's not CO. Nor is it AC, DL or US. The aircraft is a Boeing 737-200. One of the stops is Nashville (BNA). Another is Baltimore (BWI)

In the 1988 timeframe, PI's other hub besides BWI and CLT was Dayton (DAY)

Mmmm... I believe there was one more hub - sort of a mini-hub that PI acquired by merger... (It wasn't Dayton)
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:43 pm #11796
used to be 'jrl22'

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (IAD area) and near LAX
9- PI’s only other merger that I can recollect was with Empire (UR) circa 1985, which would have put the missing stop at Newark (EWR)

given the conversation in Q7, this is actually a bit ironic, as I flew a couple of UR F28s into and out of EWR in the 1985-1986 timeframe
Old Nov 6, 17, 11:46 pm #11797
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Quote:
Per jrl767: 7. A friend has invited you to Knoxville, Tennessee to join him at an SEC football game between the hometown Tennessee Vols and their cross state rivals the Vanderbilt Commodores. Can you get down to Knoxville by Friday night? Hmm… From Ronkonkoma that will probably involve quite a convoluted schedule. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a single daily one stop direct flight that will get you into Knoxville in time for dinner and drinks on Friday night. Identify the airport you’ll be departing from (see question 5), the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
HINT
: It's not US Air, Piedmont, Continental or American. Additionally, the aircraft was built overseas.
I am going to venture the BAe 146, but the only U.S. airlines that operated it mainline were Air Cal and PSA, neither of which flew anywhere near ISP or Knoxville. Would say, a franchise carrier of United via IAD be a suitable answer?
YVR Cockroach is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 11:58 pm #11798
Original Poster

Per jrl767: 9. You’re in Montreal, Quebec when the home office calls and requests you get down to Houston, Texas branch office ASAP. No problem! Then again, this could involve a connection. Or two. Mais non! Amazingly, there is a single almost daily (X7) direct flight that makes three enroute stops. First Class is available and a snack and luncheon will be served enroute. Alright then – who you gonna be flying on, where you gonna be stopping and what kind of plane you gonna be flying on?

PI’s only other merger that I can recollect was with Empire (UR) circa 1985, which would have put the missing stop at Newark (EWR)

I'm pretty sure PI never flew YUL-EWR at any time in its history. You're on the right track with the Empire merger though. Empire also had another hub however, one that I always - perhaps mistakenly - considered its main one.

Essentially, what we're looking for here is as follows:

PI XXX Montreal (YUL) 825a – 915a Xxxxxxxx S (XXX) 940a – 1044a Baltimore (BWI) 1120a – 1205p L Nashville (BNA) 1230p – 220p L Houston (IAH)
Equipment: 737-200
Frequency: Daily
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:08 am #11799
Original Poster

Per YVR Cockroach: 7. A friend has invited you to Knoxville, Tennessee to join him at an SEC football game between the hometown Tennessee Vols and their cross state rivals the Vanderbilt Commodores. Can you get down to Knoxville by Friday night? Hmm… From Ronkonkoma that will probably involve quite a convoluted schedule. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a single daily one stop direct flight that will get you into Knoxville in time for dinner and drinks on Friday night. Identify the airport you’ll be departing from (see question 5), the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

I am going to venture the BAe 146, but the only U.S. airlines that operated it mainline were Air Cal and PSA, neither of which flew anywhere near ISP or Knoxville. Would say, a franchise carrier of United via IAD be a suitable answer?

At this point I reckon it'll do, YVR However, it'll be worth a cyber pat on the back if you can guess which airline operated the 146 flights on behalf of United Express. The 146s as well as 737-200s once wore its livery.

Here's the schedule:

United Express 2623 Long Island Islip (ISP) 300p – 413p Washington Dulles (IAD) 455p – 623p Knoxville (TYS)
Equipment BAe-146
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:59 am #11800

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat 2A;29023156[B
8[/B]. The Salt Lake City to Minneapolis route has traditionally been operated by Western/Delta. In mid-1988 however, there were four airlines offering nonstop service on this route. Identify each of the four airlines involved. And – just to make it interesting – the only correct answer accepted will be the one that correctly identifies ALL four of the airlines, i.e. it's like a combination lock so three out of four will be considered incorrect. Go get ‘em, guys!
No one wants to provide an answer, I am going with (the obvious 3) Northwest, Delta, Pan Am and (the outlier) Mesaba Airlines.
teddybear99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:48 am #11801

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Quote:
Per YVR Cockroach: 7. A friend has invited you to Knoxville, Tennessee to join him at an SEC football game between the hometown Tennessee Vols and their cross state rivals the Vanderbilt Commodores. Can you get down to Knoxville by Friday night? Hmm… From Ronkonkoma that will probably involve quite a convoluted schedule. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a single daily one stop direct flight that will get you into Knoxville in time for dinner and drinks on Friday night. Identify the airport you’ll be departing from (see question 5), the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

At this point I reckon it'll do, YVR However, it'll be worth a cyber pat on the back if you can guess which airline operated the 146 flights on behalf of United Express. The 146s as well as 737-200s once wore its livery.
I can only think of three United Express carriers who operated the BAe 146: Air Wisconsin, Aspen, and WestAir. I don't remember any of them having 737s.

BAe 146: the world's only four-APU airliner!
Herb687 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:25 am #11802
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Quote:

PI’s only other merger that I can recollect was with Empire (UR) circa 1985, which would have put the missing stop at Newark (EWR)

I'm pretty sure PI never flew YUL-EWR at any time in its history. You're on the right track with the Empire merger though. Empire also had another hub however, one that I always - perhaps mistakenly - considered its main one.

Essentially, what we're looking for here is as follows:

PI XXX Montreal (YUL) 825a – 915a Xxxxxxxx S (XXX) 940a – 1044a Baltimore (BWI) 1120a – 1205p L Nashville (BNA) 1230p – 220p L Houston (IAH)
Equipment: 737-200
The missing stop must be Syracuse SYR? Certainly a Piedmont hub of some sort then.
YVR Cockroach is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:31 am #11803
used to be 'jrl22'

7- BAe 146 tap-in: Presidential Airways
9- <facepalm> how did I manage to forget SYR?
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:37 am #11804
Original Poster

Per teddybear99: 8. The Salt Lake City to Minneapolis route has traditionally been operated by Western/Delta. In mid-1988 however, there were four airlines offering nonstop service on this route. Identify each of the four airlines involved. And – just to make it interesting – the only correct answer accepted will be the one that correctly identifies ALL four of the airlines, i.e. it's like a combination lock so three out of four will be considered incorrect. Go get ‘em, TB99!

No one wants to provide an answer, I am going with (the obvious 3) Northwest, Delta, Pan Am and (the outlier) Mesaba Airlines.

You're off to a good start, Teddy - you got two of the four. Now then... which two?

(I'll leave this one out there through tonight and then clear it off in anticipation of JoeDTW's upcoming set of questions.
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:42 am #11805
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
I can only think of three United Express carriers who operated the BAe 146: Air Wisconsin, Aspen, and WestAir. I don't remember any of them having 737s.
There is one more, Herb. It was based at Dulles and its BAe-146s looked quite fetching in its red, white and dark blue livery - one which may have inspired US Airways' final livery...