Go Back > > >
Old Feb 28, 12, 11:41 am #1
Original Poster

Global Entry for Children/Infants

My wife just completed her GE interview last week, and was told that as of a couple of weeks ago, GE participants would no longer be allowed to bring their kids with them to the kiosk/front of the line unless the kids also had GE passes. I understand the part about the kiosk, but if we are no longer allowed to go to the front with our kids, that would be a big downer. As it is, kids can't get their own GE passes unless they are at least 14 years old. Does anyone have any recent experiences to confirm whether this is true?
BTMaximus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 12, 9:59 am #2

Programs: UA Plat/GE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTMaximus View Post
My wife just completed her GE interview last week, and was told that as of a couple of weeks ago, GE participants would no longer be allowed to bring their kids with them to the kiosk/front of the line unless the kids also had GE passes. I understand the part about the kiosk, but if we are no longer allowed to go to the front with our kids, that would be a big downer. As it is, kids can't get their own GE passes unless they are at least 14 years old. Does anyone have any recent experiences to confirm whether this is true?
Kids under 14 are now allowed to have their own GE numbers. Just got my conditional approval and interview for my kids (12 and 8) this morning! When filling out the application, under occupation, there is now a radio button for "child".
frankmu is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 12, 11:14 am #3

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmu View Post
Kids under 14 are now allowed to have their own GE numbers. Just got my conditional approval and interview for my kids (12 and 8) this morning! When filling out the application, under occupation, there is now a radio button for "child".
Do you do a separate application for them?

(Also, the radio button for "child" could be for those between age 14 and 18).
drewguy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 12, 11:24 am #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Do you do a separate application for them?

(Also, the radio button for "child" could be for those between age 14 and 18).
Yes, I submitted two applications, and received two conditional approvals. They have interviews set up next month.
Old Feb 29, 12, 12:06 pm #5

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmu View Post
Yes, I submitted two applications, and received two conditional approvals. They have interviews set up next month.
Additional $100 charge for each as well?
cheltzel is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 12, 12:51 pm #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Additional $100 charge for each as well?
yes
Old Mar 2, 12, 6:10 pm #7
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I wonder what the interview is going to be like?
BTMaximus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 9:22 pm #8

Programs: CO, AA, UA
Global Entry for Children/Infants

So children can sign up for Global Entry now if they're under 14? Last I checked it wasn't allowed. I have an infant I would love to get signed up. Anyone have any experience?
houstonhusker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:21 pm #9

Taking my kids to their GE interview tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
Old Mar 22, 12, 12:07 pm #10

Programs: United Prem1K, AA EXP, Southwest RR, Alitalia Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, Marriot Gold, Hertz gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhusker View Post
So children can sign up for Global Entry now if they're under 14? Last I checked it wasn't allowed. I have an infant I would love to get signed up. Anyone have any experience?
Yes it has been posted on other threads here. Search the CBP website and it links to the Federal Register page of hte rules also.

The Global Entry site has not been updated yet
FlyingHoustonian is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 12, 4:42 pm #11

GE for kids!

We were delayed 2 hours to SFO, and missed our appointment. We decided go anyway, and CBP agents were there, no interviewees . They went ahead and interviewed both kids in under 5 minutes. By the time we sat down for some lunch 15 minutes later, the approval email arrived! Hope to use it next week, for a tight connection at LAX.
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:23 am #12

Programs: UA
So, what exactly is the interview for kids like? Do they ask them questions and make them watch the video? Or do they just skip to the picture/fingerprinting.
PSU Mudder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 12, 7:29 am #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder View Post
So, what exactly is the interview for kids like? Do they ask them questions and make them watch the video? Or do they just skip to the picture/fingerprinting.
Just a few questions to make sure they were our kids, and that we understood how to use the kiosk, then took pictures and fingerprints. They were joking with the kids to make them feel at easy. Very nice guys. SFO has four desks to process interviews, so it was very quick.

Got to use GE for the first time yesterday at LAX Terminal 6/7. I think only 5 other people used the kiosk on our 777. Maybe 5 minutes at the kiosk (the kids have to back up a little to show up on the camera). Skipped the queue, and handed the GE printout to CBP agents after baggage claim (we did carryon only). Up the escalators, no line at Terminal 6 Security, we were back airside within 10 minutes. I noticed UA had us protected for the flight since we only had 1 1/2 hour to transit. Of course, the new UA gave us a flight was 2 days in the future. If we missed the connection, it would have cost us more than the GE fees in terms of missed work for my wife and I.
Old May 27, 12, 8:30 pm #14

Kids, Nexus and GE

I'm wondering if anyone else has Nexus for their family, including kids under 14, and if they have had any experience using GE. We've just received our approvals for everyone including the kids (both of whom are under 14).

Both the Nexus and GE websites clearly state that Nexus members who have registered their passports and been fingerprinted are eligible to use GE. The GE website states that GE is not available directly to anyone under 14, however I read that as meaning you can't get GE but if you have Nexus and meet the requirements you can use the machine.

The officers at our interview (SEA) not only said the kids could use GE but seemed to be aware that lots of people were applying for Nexus mostly to use GE rather than for traveling to Canada.

That said I'm wondering if anyone has actually had any experience and if there are problems.
sbedelman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 12, 9:13 pm #15

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Silver, TrueBlue Mosaic, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Emerald Club Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbedelman View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has Nexus for their family, including kids under 14, and if they have had any experience using GE. We've just received our approvals for everyone including the kids (both of whom are under 14).

Both the Nexus and GE websites clearly state that Nexus members who have registered their passports and been fingerprinted are eligible to use GE. The GE website states that GE is not available directly to anyone under 14, however I read that as meaning you can't get GE but if you have Nexus and meet the requirements you can use the machine.

The officers at our interview (SEA) not only said the kids could use GE but seemed to be aware that lots of people were applying for Nexus mostly to use GE rather than for traveling to Canada.

That said I'm wondering if anyone has actually had any experience and if there are problems.
Check again...they changed the rules a few months ago...website does not say this this anymore...and in fact I can tell you with certainty that there are no age restrictions anymore because both my 5 and 4 year old have GE. Just used it today coming back from vacation. Immigration was EASILY about an hour wait...myself, wife, and kids thru GE in 3 minutes. Love it.
eagle92 is offline Reply With Quote