Go Back > > >
Old Aug 7, 17, 1:13 pm - Wikipost
Cpi-Web Forums Thread Wiki: Is a Global Entry card required???
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: Need
Wiki Link
WHEN DO I NEED MY GLOBAL ENTRY CARD?

The circumstances under which a GE card is required/not required or useful varies to some degree. Certain travelers (e.g. those who are not Canadian or US Citizens, but are in another country's frequent traveler program and the US extends GE to them) do not have Global Entry cards. YMMV slightly with some of the below.

Scenarios when a GE card is absolutely required:
  • When crossing into the US from a foreign country (Mexico/Canada) via land and you want to use the NEXUS/SENTRI/Ready Lane lanes to enter the US, or returning to the United States by sea (if the destination in the United States doesn't have GE kiosks, e.g. some commercial cruise terminals).
  • You must show your GE or NEXUS cards to gain access to CATSA Trusted Traveler screening line at Canadian airports. (There are very limited reports of individuals using the now defunct CBP sticker on the inside of the back cover of their passport or logging into GOES on their smartphone to gain access to the line). Even if you clear using a non-TT line (premier or regular security line) you can walk over to the GE kiosks after clearing security (at least experience of phltraveler at YUL). GE kiosks at Canadian pre-clearance airports accept both passports and NEXUS cards.
  • There are reports of YYZ US CBP personnel expecting a GE card from those not eligible to them, but being satisfied by the user giving their Trusted Traveler Number (a.k.a. PASSID from GOES) in lieu of the card.
  • At cruise port where it does not have kiosks like Terminal 25 of Port Everglades, Florida, GE card is required to gain access to the GE lane.

Scenarios under which a GE/NEXUS card can be useful, but is not necessarily required:
  • When approaching GE lanes at certain airports, sometimes CBP or airport staff will ask to see the card to allow access to the GE kiosk area. If you don't have a card or don't have the card on you, you may want to try stating that you are enrolled in GE; if you have the defunct sticker in your passport, you can show that.
  • The GE card is useful at TSA Checkpoints domestically as an ID to match against the boarding pass.
  • The GE card may be acceptable by CBSA for entry into Canada provided member is US citizen.
  • Use as a primary ID when you don't want your driver's license barcode/magswipe scanned and stored in a database (at a gated community, many retail stores, etc.) - although acceptance can vary because it is not the most commonly used ID.
  • Secondary proof of age/identification when the validity of a driver's license is in doubt

The GE card is normally not required (with the previously mentioned caveats) when using GE kiosks at US airports, since the airport kiosk reads the passport and user's fingerprints and cannot read the GE card.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 1, 17, 8:17 am #346

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott PLT
Pre-clearance = land crossing

I received a response to the complaint I filed with CPB about being denied access to the GE kiosks at YYZ. The response was basically cut-and-paste, but they did highlight the fact that GE cards are used at land crossings.
PlatinumScum is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:31 pm #347

Programs: AS, SQ, UA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
It has been reported YYZ T1 is arranged in a way such that if you don't show your Trusted Traveler card (and take the CATSA Trusted Traveler screening lane) you would end up in an area post security without access to GE kiosk. I was at YYZ T1 recently. While I wasn't really paying attention to it, I believe if you took regular screening, the GE kiosk would be behind belt barriers (Tensabarrier). I suppose you could just crawl under them to get to the kiosks.
Yeah, when I went through YYZ last month, the Canadian border police agent guarding the entry to the Trusted Traveler line simply waved me through. A security employee manning another podium blocked me about halfway before the actual screening area and demanded I show the GE card.

YVR doesn't seem to have this arrangement though, when I flew through there earlier this year. I'm wondering if it's a YYZ-specific thing? Confusing, but fortunately I had the card on me.
Polytonic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:51 pm #348

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
YVR doesn't seem to have this arrangement though, when I flew through there earlier this year. I'm wondering if it's a YYZ-specific thing? Confusing, but fortunately I had the card on me.
You have to show your NEXUS/Global Entry card in order to use CATSA Trusted Traveler screening lane, similar to TSA Pre Check lane.
1KChinito is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:33 pm #349

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Yesterday I flew YHZ-EWR and there wasn't anybody guarding the GE kiosks. Maybe because it was 5 am and we were the only flight departing...
TomMM is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:41 pm #350

Programs: AS, SQ, UA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KChinito View Post
You have to show your NEXUS/Global Entry card in order to use CATSA Trusted Traveler screening lane, similar to TSA Pre Check lane.
Sure. What I'm getting at is the behavior is inconsistent with what CBP says and with other airports -- i.e. GE/NEXUS card is used for land crossings, and not needed for air crossings. In the case of YYZ, you can't reach the GE kiosks without going through the CATSA lane.

Also, I've never had to present my GE card to enter a TSA PreCheck lane; as I understand it, showing your GE card doesn't give you PreCheck -- it has to be printed on the pass, no?
Polytonic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:07 pm #351
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP, Hilton Diamond, National EE
Quote:
Sure. What I'm getting at is the behavior is inconsistent with what CBP says and with other airports -- i.e. GE/NEXUS card is used for land crossings, and not needed for air crossings. In the case of YYZ, you can't reach the GE kiosks without going through the CATSA lane.

Also, I've never had to present my GE card to enter a TSA PreCheck lane; as I understand it, showing your GE card doesn't give you PreCheck -- it has to be printed on the pass, no?

No need to compare what is needed to access to screening lanes in both countries; policies are different and rightly so.

The discussion, as you stated, is what happens after security screening and access to CBP. In YUL, the GE kiosks accessible without having to show TTP card. That doesnít appear to be the case at YUL.
seawolf is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 5:30 am #352

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Quote:
Correct. While there have been a few reports of people talking their way into PreCheck lanes using their GE card thatís not the program or the norm.
Randyk47 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 5:32 am #353
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post

No need to compare what is needed to access to screening lanes in both countries; policies are different and rightly so.

The discussion, as you stated, is what happens after security screening and access to CBP. In YUL, the GE kiosks accessible without having to show TTP card. That doesn’t appear to be the case at YUL.
Speaking of no need to compare, we have an example of just that in the last sentence above. I think you meant to compare the use of a TTP card at YYZ to what is asked for at YUL with regard to a TTP. Or was I mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
Correct. While there have been a few reports of people talking their way into PreCheck lanes using their GE card that’s not the program or the norm.
Indeed, the use of a GE card does not guarantee access to a present PreCheck lane and the allowance to be screened at the screening checkpoint like those who have PreCheck boarding passes.
GUWonder is offline Reply With Quote