Go Back > > >
Old Mar 19, 13, 1:50 pm #16
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhenrik View Post
It's hit or miss I would say. I've flown between ARN and IST maybe 10 times r/t the last year and twice out of 20 flights I have gotten the new J seats and the rest it's Y seats with middle reserved.
Sounds like a lot of miss and very little hit to me.

May one presume that TK tries to use its shorthaul aircraft with proper J cabins mainly on routes where yield and/or load factors in J are high? I would guess that ARN is not one of those.

ARN-IST in surrogate J sounds like a pain.

Johan
johan rebel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 13, 2:53 am #17

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Hehe, yeah, you are right in that is a lot of miss

Anyways, I don't find the Y seats that bad compared to any other european airline.They all suck equally in J on intra-european trips. The food is nice and if you get a decent FA it can be quite pleasant.

I personally never buy anything but Y when I do intra-european trips (seldom though) since I think paying for J is just crazy. Long-haul is a different matter of course. So for me when I've gotten the new seats, it feels like "I've won".

You based out of ARN as well?

Regarding where they use their aircrafts, I think that is based mostly on cargo and not passengers.
johhenrik is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 13, 1:16 pm #18
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Anyways, I don't find the Y seats that bad compared to any other european airline.They all suck equally in J on intra-european trips. The food is nice and if you get a decent FA it can be quite pleasant.
Agreed, the only problem is that the difference between the old and new TK shorthaul J is so huge. They really need to sort that out sooner rather than later, offering a consistent product is key to managing and meeting customer expectations. I know that shorthaul J sucks on all other European airlines (although it sucks a bit less on BA), but at least I know what to expect. On TK it is a lottery. TK's new shorthaul J is the only one out there that can be considered value for money, but then I need to be sure I shall get it 100% of the time.

Quote:
I personally never buy anything but Y when I do intra-european trips (seldom though) since I think paying for J is just crazy. Long-haul is a different matter of course.
For me, longhaul via IST by definition involves a shorthaul connection, so a shorthaul J offering on par with their longhaul one is a definite incentive.

Quote:
You based out of ARN as well?
Most of my flying is out of AMS. I do live in Sweden (well, for the four month or so of the year that I'm home), but nowehere near ARN.

Quote:
Regarding where they use their aircrafts, I think that is based mostly on cargo and not passengers.
Interesting. I may be wrong, but the differences in cargo capacity between the 737s and various A320-series aircraft is surely not that huge?

Johan
johan rebel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 13, 2:00 am #19
formerly killuminati

Anyone have any experience with the A320 from IST-BCN. Is it usually with new J or just middle blocked?
bcnfish is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 4:19 am #20

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBS, Hilton Silver
I have some questions regarding the earning rates for Elite. Do Elite members still earn 200% miles in Business Class on TK flights?

Secondly is it true that a TK Biz award from Europe to North America only cost 70 000 miles, and is it possible to book a one-way for half that amount?
LH4116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 5:33 am #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH4116 View Post
I have some questions regarding the earning rates for Elite. Do Elite members still earn 200% miles in Business Class on TK flights?

Secondly is it true that a TK Biz award from Europe to North America only cost 70 000 miles, and is it possible to book a one-way for half that amount?
Yes,yes and yes.

Hence that the award availability for capacity controlled seats to N.A.
is pretty tight.
Prepare to be flexible and to book far in advance.
moeser is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 13, 4:23 pm #22

How do TK calculate awards? On their site they have a chart for TK capacity controlled awards, where each award is within or between certain zones. For instance Europe to North Africa would cost 25K return in Business. But when typing in ARN-CMN on the website it can't calculate the price. Instead I'm only able to search awards on IST-CMN which show up as 25K. Is this just some website glitch, or have TK began charging awards per segment? (instead of per zone)
Old Mar 27, 13, 6:02 pm #23

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
I actually don't know the answer here, but don't TK segment Europe into 3 zones? So ARN being in Zone 3 and hence the most expensive zone? I believe I've seen this when I did an upgrade to business using miles. So I would believe it would be more expensive doing ARN-CMN than IST-CMN.
johhenrik is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 13, 5:55 pm #24

Actually, when looking at the chart for TK capacity controlled awards Sweden is in the same zone as Turkey and the rest of Europe + North & Central Africa. So technically I should be able to fly ARN-IST-LOS in Business Class for 25K points and 100 USD in taxes. Does seem a bit too good to be true (although Lagos must be far from the nicest city. But it's still a 7hr flight in Business on the A330)

So then again this raises the question where I can book these capacity controlled awards? (assuming they're priced in low-season rates) as per the chart. It's quite confusing since there are 3 different award charts.
Old Mar 28, 13, 6:14 pm #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH4116 View Post
Actually, when looking at the chart for TK capacity controlled awards Sweden is in the same zone as Turkey and the rest of Europe + North & Central Africa. So technically I should be able to fly ARN-IST-LOS in Business Class for 25K points and 100 USD in taxes. Does seem a bit too good to be true (although Lagos must be far from the nicest city. But it's still a 7hr flight in Business on the A330)

So then again this raises the question where I can book these capacity controlled awards? (assuming they're priced in low-season rates) as per the chart. It's quite confusing since there are 3 different award charts.
You are right with Lagos .

High season with TK is about 300 days a year

To know the exact amount of miles required,log in to your M&S account and start the booking.
It will state how many miles you need .Then book it or cancel !
Old Mar 29, 13, 4:10 pm #26

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G, *S, ANA VIP
elite status

hi,

just checked the TK status and i like the fact, that you can gift elite status to others.

i have a question about status, if i fly 25K i will be silver with tk.
after 40K i will hit gold and after that plus.

if i fly 80K within 12 month, will i first be silver, than gold than plus?
it doesnt reset my status miles after i reachsilver?

another thing, it says if i fly business class with TK, i get double status miles as a gold and plus member.

so lets say i reach the 40K, i am upgraded to gold. than i fly one business class flight, and i get another 18K status miles, did i understand it correctly, that i receive 36K status miles, so one more business class flight with TK, once i reach gold, will make me plus?

this would be very easy, so i am asking, at it sounds to good to be true

cheers DP.

Last edited by derpelikan; Mar 29, 13 at 4:36 pm
derpelikan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 13, 2:27 pm #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpelikan View Post
hi,

just checked the TK status and i like the fact, that you can gift elite status to others.

i have a question about status, if i fly 25K i will be silver with tk.
after 40K i will hit gold and after that plus.

if i fly 80K within 12 month, will i first be silver, than gold than plus?
it doesnt reset my status miles after i reachsilver?

another thing, it says if i fly business class with TK, i get double status miles as a gold and plus member.

so lets say i reach the 40K, i am upgraded to gold. than i fly one business class flight, and i get another 18K status miles, did i understand it correctly, that i receive 36K status miles, so one more business class flight with TK, once i reach gold, will make me plus?

this would be very easy, so i am asking, at it sounds to good to be true

cheers DP.
It is

As E / E+ in J-class you'll earn 200% of the miles flown instead of 150% for C / C+ members.

E.g. If Y will earn you 10 k you would get 20 k in J . C / C+ would earn 15 k in J .

Try TKs mileage calculator to see the precise amount of miles to be earned for your planned flight.
Old Mar 31, 13, 9:13 am #28

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Partner mileage calculation for M&S

In calculating renewal mileage points for Elite M&S status, are *A partner flights included? In other words, how many of the renewal points need to be flown on TK flights, as opposed to partner flights? May I presume that "K" class bookings on UA are eligible for M&S Elite status renewal? Thanks again for any input?
cagcag is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 13, 9:51 am #29
Moderator, Aer Lingus AerClub, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, EI nothing, AB Silver, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
In calculating renewal mileage points for Elite M&S status, are *A partner flights included? In other words, how many of the renewal points need to be flown on TK flights, as opposed to partner flights? May I presume that "K" class bookings on UA are eligible for M&S Elite status renewal? Thanks again for any input?
TK has no "own metal" requirements. You can renew without ever setting foot on a TK aircraft. UA earning rates are here.
starflyergold is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 13, 10:01 am #30

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
TK has no "own metal" requirements. You can renew without ever setting foot on a TK aircraft. UA earning rates are here.
Thank you for your prompt and informative answer.
cagcag is offline Reply With Quote