Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page > Free transfer from Sabiha to Ataturk airport?

Free transfer from Sabiha to Ataturk airport?

Old Mar 1, 16, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL
Free transfer from Sabiha to Ataturk airport?

Hey all

I want to fly from Brussels to Seoul with Turkish (cheapest rates/best amount of milage accural compared to other *A partners)

When I book through TK's official website the first part of my itinerary looks like:

BRUSSELS / Brussels National -> İSTANBUL / Sabiha Gokcen 12:45

İSTANBUL / Ataturk -> SEOUL / Incheon 01:20

Meaning I'll have to transfer airports. I was wondering, since it tickets like this on their website, does TK provide free transfers from Sabiha to Ataturk? I can't seem to find any information on this.
If not, I assume I still have to get a visa?

Thanks a lot in advance

Niels
Old Mar 1, 16, 1:13 pm

I don't know of any free transfers. In any case you will need a visa, because you will be entering Turkey. And transfer between the two airports is a bit of a pain: it can easily take 3 hours. On the other hand, you can use the opportunity to see a bit of this beautiful city. Just don't forget that your luggage will be traveling with you.

Shuly
Old Mar 1, 16, 7:00 pm

Programs: TK, AC, LX, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton
Absolutely no free transfers. And it's a painful trek from SAW to IST with traffic etc.
Old Mar 2, 16, 2:36 am

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY
Also consider staying at hotel near the airport or Bakırköy.

If you don't want to deal with traffic (even if you have plenty of time), take taxi to Bostancı pier and take ferry to Bakırköy.

http://ido.com.tr/en/timetables/...nter-timetable

From there it's 10 - 15 minutes to IST.

p.s. The ferry runs hourly during the day between Bostancı and Bakırköy, something is wrong with the website.

Last edited by vincewy; Mar 3, 16 at 11:12 pm
Old Mar 3, 16, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL
Thanks for the input everybody
Old Mar 12, 16, 8:11 am

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA Prem, Skyteam Elite+, EY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
Bad idea... will take you 3 hours at the best and cost you 100 euros if everything fine.
Old Mar 12, 16, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft View Post
Bad idea... will take you 3 hours at the best and cost you 100 euros if everything fine.
I recently made this journey (although I over-nighted in Kadikoy and Sultanahmet). Taxi from SAW to Kadikoy hotel took 45 minutes (was at 9pm so maybe traffic was light) and metered fee was 85 Lira. The ferry from Kadikoy to Eminonu was 4 Lira and took about 30 minutes, Taxi to IST was 50 Lira and took 40 minutes (5am so traffic was non-existent).
So 3 hours is pretty accurate but cost was more like 50 Euro.
Old Mar 17, 16, 11:17 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus/EK Skywards Gold/Skyteam Elite
There is a shuttle for EUR 30 between SAW and IST, but it is on "dolmush" principle.
The cheapest and most reliable way: taxi to Bakirkoy (TL 22) + ferry boat to Bostanci (TL 9), taxi from Bostanci to SAW (around TRY 60). Total - around 90 TL. Time - 15 min + 45 min (incl. waiting) + 45 min = 1 hr 45 min.
The only downside is that you depend on boat schedule, which run every 30 min or 1 hr. SO if you miss it, you are stuck. And no boat between 11.30 - 13.30
Old Mar 17, 16, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Regnum View Post
The cheapest and most reliable way: taxi to Bakirkoy (TL 22) + ferry boat to Bostanci (TL 9), taxi from Bostanci to SAW (around TRY 60). Total - around 90 TL. Time - 15 min + 45 min (incl. waiting) + 45 min = 1 hr 45 min.
The cheapest way, and one of the simplest, most hassle-free ways, to transfer between IST and SAW is to use the Havatas buses.

from IST to Taksim, buses run every half hour, take around 40 minutes and cost 11 TL. From Taksim to SAW, again every half hour, buses take between one and two hours and cost 14TL. In total, this would usually take around three hours but will only cost 25 TL, around USD $8. You will appreciate how big Istanbul is. More details here:
http://havatas.com/default.aspx

Shuly
Old Mar 17, 16, 4:04 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, US/AA and DL - No status on anything
The TK ticket may be cheaper but is it worth the cost to fly TK for this itinerary when you add the cost for the airport transfer and visa for Turkey? What about the added time? I assume no hotel cost since it's a little over 12 hours between flights.
Old Mar 17, 16, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by shuly View Post
The cheapest way, and one of the simplest, most hassle-free ways, to transfer between IST and SAW is to use the Havatas buses.

from IST to Taksim, buses run every half hour, take around 40 minutes and cost 11 TL. From Taksim to SAW, again every half hour, buses take between one and two hours and cost 14TL. In total, this would usually take around three hours but will only cost 25 TL, around USD $8. You will appreciate how big Istanbul is. More details here:
http://havatas.com/default.aspx

Shuly
Well, I've done that, but never again! Waste of time - sat in the bus for 30 min waiting till it is filled up. Plus, 3 hours on the bus is not a joke - no facilities like toilet and vending machine, which you get on a boat.
Old Mar 17, 16, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Barcky View Post
The TK ticket may be cheaper but is it worth the cost to fly TK for this itinerary when you add the cost for the airport transfer and visa for Turkey? What about the added time? I assume no hotel cost since it's a little over 12 hours between flights.
Let me put it this way - saving on flight ticket by transferring between the 2 airports is not worth it at all! I'd pay an extra EUR 200 just to avoid it. Or just fly Pegasus or something.

Search this Thread