Go Back > > >
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:10 am #61

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I'm hoping a deescalation occurs. In my visits to Turkey, I have had nothing but positive experiences and would love to do another visit sometime.

Turkey traditionally has had significant tourism revenue that has declined recently. But I hope the current estimates (something like $2 billion US or $3 billion US per year, down form a max of $5 billion US in 2015) for annual tourism revenue is enough to motivate the Turkish side of the negotiations.
cheltzel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:35 am #62
Cpi-Web Evangelist

lonely, as I said, "Enigma" does seem to give some good answers and information. Unfortunately there only seem to be two kinds of questions over there, either, "I am supposed to travel to Turkey in XX days/weeks/months" and whether they currently have a visa in hand determines whether they can travel. The question is answered and then asked again and again and again, even when the question has been answered again and again and again.

The biggest problem I have is that when early in the game someone posts something incredibly wrong, maybe not their fault, or maybe they simply did not understand, or a third party agent of a remote station for a foreigner did not understand. That then gets posted on TA, and then cited repeatedly there and here a s a foil to any real information given.

Regarding the TK Banderole thing I had hoped to see more written about it today, and find it weird that almost nothing else has come out about it.
hfly is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:40 am #63

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
If this squabble goes on into the spring cruise season this will have a huge impact on whatever cruise ships are still going to Istanbul and Kusadasi. As a large portion of the passengers on a cruise are likely American, if they are not allowed to leave the ship in Istanbul they won't take the cruise.
susiesan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 17, 11:26 am #64
Cpi-Web Evangelist

This is pure madness. But lots of what happens with the Turkish gov't these days seems like madness. They've even just sentenced a Wall Street Journal reporter to prison for, um, doing her job (good thing she's safely back in the USA). I have no idea how this will end and, right now, I don't care. I'm done with flying Turkish and visiting Turkey unless and until things change.

FWIW, I wonder what this will do to Turkish Airlines' business. Obviously, it's not a for-profit business these days anyway (there seem to be various subsidies being provided by the gov't), but this seems kind of like the last straw.
iahphx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 17, 12:21 pm #65

Programs: DL EK QR TK
US Embassy Turkey - Just released (more info on the visa suspension) from the ambassador...
https://tr.usembassy.gov/ambassador-...tober-11-2017/

It starts off like this.....

Ankara, Turkey
October 11, 2017

Ambassador Bass: I’m very pleased to see all of you here this morning, and I’m pleased to have an opportunity to see members of the Diplomatic Correspondents Association for one last time before I complete my assignment as the U.S. Ambassador in Turkey. And with a lot of regret and sadness I leave this great country.

It’s been a remarkable three years.......

Last edited by SKOOBDO; Oct 11, 17 at 10:24 pm Reason: Added quote
SKOOBDO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 1:48 am #66

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
This seems like a missed opportunity for TK. Instead of saying US passport holders can't get visa on arrival as long as they come from a country other than the US, TK should have worked something out with the ministry that would allow US passport holders to obtain visa on arrival on if they arrived on a Turkish flagged carrier. Would have been a great way to hit back at the US for their stupid laptop ban earlier in the year too.
siberslava is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:02 am #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberslava View Post
This seems like a missed opportunity for TK. Instead of saying US passport holders can't get visa on arrival as long as they come from a country other than the US, TK should have worked something out with the ministry that would allow US passport holders to obtain visa on arrival on if they arrived on a Turkish flagged carrier. Would have been a great way to hit back at the US for their stupid laptop ban earlier in the year too.

I thought TK in their last message stated that all US Passport holders flying TK from any country other than the USA will get a visa upon arrival. Do you have additional news? Just wondering. Or did I misread your message?
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:26 am #68

Looks like if anything changes with the Visa Suspensions, it won't happen until next week for those still in limbo:

http://hurriyetdailynews.com/us-...sources-120721
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:24 am #69

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOOBDO View Post
I thought TK in their last message stated that all US Passport holders flying TK from any country other than the USA will get a visa upon arrival. Do you have additional news? Just wondering. Or did I misread your message?
I thought the TK message implied that any US passport holder arriving from anywhere other than US would get visa on arrival, meaning I could arrive on BA or KLM for instance. They should have made it so only arrival on a Turkish flagged carrier, even from US, would grant visa on arrival. Why divert potential business to BA, KLM, Lufthansa etc?
siberslava is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:35 am #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberslava View Post
I thought the TK message implied that any US passport holder arriving from anywhere other than US would get visa on arrival, meaning I could arrive on BA or KLM for instance. They should have made it so only arrival on a Turkish flagged carrier, even from US, would grant visa on arrival. Why divert potential business to BA, KLM, Lufthansa etc?
TK stated "our U.S. passport-holding passengers".

"For our U.S. passport-holding passengers travelling to Turkey from outside the United States, the issuing of banderole visas is in effect."

Also, based on what I've read on their Twitter page, the flights needs to originate outside of the US. Does not include connecting flights. But, all of this will most likely change next week when the USA and Turkey may lift the orders.

Last edited by SKOOBDO; Oct 12, 17 at 3:43 am
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:14 am #71
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, *Wood Gold, HHONORS Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOOBDO View Post
TK stated "our U.S. passport-holding passengers".

"For our U.S. passport-holding passengers travelling to Turkey from outside the United States, the issuing of banderole visas is in effect."

Also, based on what I've read on their Twitter page, the flights needs to originate outside of the US. Does not include connecting flights. But, all of this will most likely change next week when the USA and Turkey may lift the orders.
I'm curious if I'm understanding this right at the current moment. I'm a USA passport holder without a visa to visit Turkey. I'll be vacationing in Greece and I would like to visit Istanbul for a few days. If I flew from ATH to IST on TK would I be able to obtain a visa to visit Istanbul for a view days and then fly IST to USA on a UA award ticket (the award ticket has already been booked. the ticket from ATH to IST has not been booked)?
mjz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:24 am #72

I am not convinced this will be resolved as quickly as the Turkish press seems to be saying. The official statement from the Dept of State on the call between the Turkish FM and the Secretary of State is very frosty in diplomatic speak: https://state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2017/10/274746.htm .

Quote:
Secretary Tillerson spoke today with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu. Secretary Tillerson conveyed to the Foreign Minister his profound concern over the detentions of Turkish national employees of our diplomatic mission to Turkey and of several American citizens. Secretary Tillerson emphasized the importance of transparency in the accusations made by the Turkish government and the need for the Turkish government to present the evidence behind these accusations. Secretary Tillerson and Foreign Minister Cavusoglu agreed the two sides would remain in close contact to address U.S. concerns about these detentions.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Oct 12, 17 at 9:35 am
36902BRF is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:34 am #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
I'm curious if I'm understanding this right at the current moment. I'm a USA passport holder without a visa to visit Turkey. I'll be vacationing in Greece and I would like to visit Istanbul for a few days. If I flew from ATH to IST on TK would I be able to obtain a visa to visit Istanbul for a view days and then fly IST to USA on a UA award ticket (the award ticket has already been booked. the ticket from ATH to IST has not been booked)?
There is lots of conflicting information out there. The Turkish Airlines website seems to indicate if a US citizen is flying in from a country other than the US and it is not part of a connection to a flight that originated in the US you can get a visa on entry. There are also reports of some folks being able to get visas at Turkish Embassies overseas and others saying they are being turned away. You are not going to get a solid answer to this on FT assuming there is even a solid answer to be had. I suggest you reach out to Turkish Airlines as well as the Turkish Embassy/FM for clarifications on your situation. It seems very YMMV at this point. Good luck.
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:38 am #74
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Unfortunately that advice is not very good. Currently when many people call Turkish Embassies abroad, they are being directed to consular lines, which bounce back to a call center in Ankara. When it is apparent that the MFA Ankara call center is not able to properly answer, they direct the caller to call the mission abroad again.............
hfly is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:42 am #75

More information on the meeting between Turkey and US on this issue:

https://bloomberg.com/news/artic...ent-detentions