Go Back > > >
Old Oct 24, 17, 9:06 am #1
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AZ Plus (E+), IHG Spire, SPG G, HH Diamond, Carlson G
Booking a return leg 18 months in advance

I want to soon make a booking along the following lines: VNO-IST-MIA-IST-VNO with all legs flown in May 2018, but with the last leg, IST-VNO, in Apr 2019.

The last leg will be less than 12 months from the date of departure, so is valid according to the ticket rules. The problem is that TK doesn't seem to allow booking any leg more than 11 or 12 months in advance, and I don't want to wait until Apr 2018 to book the entire ticket, since the price will likely greatly increase by then.

Any ideas how to arrange for such a ticket with minimum (if any) costs relative to the current cost of such a ticket? (the cost is practically the same with any deferred date of such final leg).
bamba70 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:50 pm #2
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat, SPG Gold
GDS limitation.

Long story short: GDS'es assume that when you book for May 20 it is the next May 20 (i.e. May 20, 2018) - you cannot add year to the GDS booking: therefore 1 year limitation.

Ask TK to give you an exception for 1 free change. In May 2018 you should be able to change the inbound reservation to April 2019.

Are you VNO-based? I am quite sure good travel agents (West Express comes to mind) will be able to arrange this for you with a local TK office.
TPJ is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:08 pm #3
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AZ Plus (E+), IHG Spire, SPG G, HH Diamond, Carlson G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
GDS limitation.
Ask TK to give you an exception for 1 free change. In May 2018 you should be able to change the inbound reservation to April 2019.
How does that work exactly and when should I ask this? (before the booking? after, and when the return is already within 1 year?)
bamba70 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 10:20 am #4

Programs: TK
TK is opening flights & reservations only 355 days before the flight. So in your case, to get last leg, you need to wait until April to get 355 days rule, except If you can find an solution to change freely, or with a charge.

If you get the flexible tickets, you will be able to change your ticket but in that case fares will be much higher.

What I would do is, buy the ticket with a closer date of last leg, and when the 355 day rule passes, change the last leg to your choice of date with a small change fee.

I assume a flight fare opening 355 days before the flight and a fare that is avaiable for now will not change the price and you will be only charged ticket change fee between 50€~150€
dtxdnc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 17, 9:04 pm #5

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtxdnc View Post
TK is opening flights & reservations only 355 days before the flight. So in your case, to get last leg, you need to wait until April to get 355 days rule, except If you can find an solution to change freely, or with a charge.

If you get the flexible tickets, you will be able to change your ticket but in that case fares will be much higher.

What I would do is, buy the ticket with a closer date of last leg, and when the 355 day rule passes, change the last leg to your choice of date with a small change fee.

I assume a flight fare opening 355 days before the flight and a fare that is avaiable for now will not change the price and you will be only charged ticket change fee between 50~150
I was under the impression that if you change a ticket before any of the sectors have been flown, the fare is recalculated to fares on sale on the day you make the change. It's not just a change fee.
MichaelBaku is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 17, 9:26 pm #6

Programs: TK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku View Post
I was under the impression that if you change a ticket before any of the sectors have been flown, the fare is recalculated to fares on sale on the day you make the change. It's not just a change fee.
Edit: I thought OP posted this, so consider this answer given to OP

That is partially correct, My guess, If you only change your last leg, you should be calculated only for the last leg, not for the sectors that you dont want to change.

Assuming If you want to buy a ticket today, and lets say you can buy your final leg, return flight is going to be October,2018 which you purchase as far as you can.

When you want to change your last leg return flight to Apr 2019 in Apr 2018, the return flight fares will be very close what you have paid in for your Oct, 2018 flight.

Most of the time there is no promotions for advanced 1 year later booking flights, which usually they are starting the fares with a flat fee.

So when you only want to change your return flight, you should be paying only change fee, and maybe some small exchange rate difference.

You are also allowed the change the return flight after your first flight as well. Change fee will again apply of course.

This is what I would do in OP's situation, there is no guarantee of rates as well, my math could be wrong but I am %80 certain that it will work like that.

Last edited by dtxdnc; Nov 2, 17 at 9:33 pm
dtxdnc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 11:53 am #7

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL, Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Probably easiest to just throw away the last IST-VNO leg. You can buy the oneway IST-VNO for 2019 for 150EUR or so with much less hassle or complication.
dtxdnc likes this.
PVDtoDEL is offline Reply With Quote