Go Back > > >
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:45 pm #1
Original Poster

Upgrade strategy

I have a TK flight from Dhaka to IST in a few weeks, on a Friday evening. I have a business class ticket on my way to Dhaka, but economy on the way back. I would like to upgrade, but not sure whats the best strategy

I am TK Elite, so I can upgrade till the last minute with miles. Or I could hope for an opup. Or upgrade now using miles. I guess it all depends on how busy this flight usually is on a Friday night, and how likely it is either economy or business might be full

any suggestions? people who fly this route regularly?
fwerfel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 2:38 pm #2

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/MR Plat, IHG Plat
If you're willing to spend the miles now, spend them. Hoping for an op-up is a good way to fly economy...
craigthemif is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:00 pm #3

Programs: TK
AFAIK in TK, If the economy is not full, you will not get free upgrade.
(this is my knowledge, I might be wrong)

It means, you can wait to use your miles at last minute If you dont get free upgrade.

But the risk of last minute upgrading is, If the business is full, then you have to fly economy.

So, If a business class is a "must" for you, then spend them now. Otherwise, take your chances until last minute.
dtxdnc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:55 am #4
Original Poster

I understand that if I want to be sure, I just do the upgrade now. But I was hoping someone who flies this route regularly could testify on how full/empty the two classes usually are.
Since as an elite I can upgrade at the gate, I could hope for an overbooked economy class. However, if business is often full on this flight, I will just go ahead and do the upgrade now
Old Nov 8, 17, 4:55 am #5

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwerfel View Post
I understand that if I want to be sure, I just do the upgrade now. But I was hoping someone who flies this route regularly could testify on how full/empty the two classes usually are.
Since as an elite I can upgrade at the gate, I could hope for an overbooked economy class. However, if business is often full on this flight, I will just go ahead and do the upgrade now
I don't fly this route. But I do know that operational upgrades are rare things: and unless you are a Turkish notable, a local big-wig or brother-in-law of the station manager the operational one is the only upgrade you'll be given. But to attach ay expectation to receiving one is foolish.

At the same time, there are I think only 28 business class seats on the A333, and these can be taken up by revenue passengers as well the non-operationally upgraded. You risk being disappointed when you present your trump card at the gate.

If the business-class cabin is important to you, then I'd grab an upgrade right now if one is available. If not available, things could change nearer the flight date.
IAN-UK is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:03 am #6
Original Poster

thanks! Will use my miles then ;-)
Old Nov 9, 17, 3:43 pm #7

Programs: BD*G TK*G BAEC*G EKBlue
I have flown the route many times as Elite/Elite plus and never had an op-up. However I have upgraded with cash a few times at the Gulshan office and it has been a lot cheaper than any other way.
DaveS is online now Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 4:00 am #8
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
I have flown the route many times as Elite/Elite plus and never had an op-up. However I have upgraded with cash a few times at the Gulshan office and it has been a lot cheaper than any other way.
how much would it be in cash? I think a miles upgrade is about 30K miles
Old Today, 7:51 am #9

Programs: BD*G TK*G BAEC*G EKBlue
It varied, but was always cheaper than doing it online or through Istanbul. I do not recall the amount.
DaveS is online now Reply With Quote