Go Back > > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:21 am #1
Original Poster

Heathrow t5 > to london victoria train

Hello all.

I would appreciate some advise please if your able to help.

I am familiar with flights, but know nothing about the trains and where these run from / to from the airport.

I will be travelling back into the UK mid afternoon in the new year, and for the first time am unable to get my usual lift by car. So this time, I need to use the trains to get back to Kent.

Can someone give me some details on the train stations from Terminal 5, are these within walking distance from the Arrivals area at Heathrow, or will I have to get some sort of shuttle or taxi? ( I am just after the standard trains, nothing fancy )

I need to get to Victoria, which in turn will take me back to Kent.

Thank you so much,

P.
IXLUK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:25 am #2
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
So, the easiest way is to take the Piccadilly Line (Underground) from T5 to Hammersmith, then change to the District Line (which is on the adjacent platform) which will take you straight to Victoria. It's not the fastest or fanciest, but it's easy and will take about 45 minutes on a good day.

The Underground station is directly beneath the arrivals area of T5. If you've got a contactless credit card, you can use that in lieu of a ticket.
stut is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:26 am #3

Depending on where in Kent, you could also take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington, take the Hammersmith & City line from Paddington to St Pancras, and then the high speed train from there on to Kent. Be warned, though, this is very definitely not the cheap option.
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:39 am #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stut View Post
Depending on where in Kent, you could also take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington, take the Hammersmith & City line from Paddington to St Pancras, and then the high speed train from there on to Kent. Be warned, though, this is very definitely not the cheap option.
A cheaper and barely any slower version of that is to take the Piccadilly Line direct to Kings X St Pancras, and then onto HS1.

The price uplift for HS1 versus Southeastern from Victoria is generally less than the uplift from Tube to HEX.
Ldnn1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:42 am #5
Original Poster

Firstly, Thank you so much for your replies... Much appreciated.

Quote:
So, the easiest way is to take the Piccadilly Line (Underground) from T5 to Hammersmith, then change to the District Line (which is on the adjacent platform) which will take you straight to Victoria. It's not the fastest or fanciest, but it's easy and will take about 45 minutes on a good day.

The Underground station is directly beneath the arrivals area of T5. If you've got a contactless credit card, you can use that in lieu of a ticket.
Your second paragraph was the main query I had. I did look up on train services, but its the bit about WHERE the station is within T5 wasn't clear to me.

Thank you.

Quote:
This is exactly what I looked up online too, but wasnt sure where the Heathrow Express train service is within T5. Im sure what I found changed at Paddington to Victoria....

This is what I found on Trainline, but again, what do they mean by "RAIL STATION ONLY?"

"Heathrow Terminal 5 (Rail Station Only) Platform 4 estimated" to "London Paddington Platform 6 estimated" then > "London Paddington" via tube ( doesnt state which line) to Victoria"

I assume when I would come through the arrivals area after security etc, that its clearly marked? Tickets were about 10 to get to Paddington, then another 25 to get to Kent. ( Medway ).
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:12 am #6

The stations at T5 are in the lower level of the building, and very clearly marked. There are two stations: one for the Heathrow Express and Connect services to Paddington and one for the Piccadilly Line Underground services. They are adjacent, but use distinct lifts and escalators, in an area between the terminal and the car park. There is a bank of ticket machines and a desk in the arrivals hall as well. Page 8 of the following should give you an idea:

http://heathrow.com/file_source/...row_T5_Map.pdf

The Trainline will only give you mainline rail services (hence "Rail Station Only"), not the Underground, so will route you via the Heathrow Express or Connect, even if it's not the most efficient route. It will also charge you all sorts of unnecessary fees that you don't need to pay if you buy direct from the train company (e.g. https://southeasternrailway.co.uk/). Heathrow to Victoria via Paddington (and the Circle Line) is not a route I would personally recommend.

If you go via the Underground, you will (probably) buy a separate ticket form Heathrow to Victoria, then Victoria to Kent, but Heathrow to Victoria could be as little as 3.10 if you use a contactless credit card off-peak. In which case, there's no need to buy a paper ticket, just hold the card up to the barriers on entry and exit. The same cannot be used beyond Swanley on the mainline train, however.

Last edited by stut; Nov 6, 17 at 10:17 am
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:48 am #7
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, you have been extremely helpful and assuring.

I'll do some more digging, but think you have answered all my concerns.

I'll post back when I actually do the journey to advise what I did, if it helps anyone else.

I do have a Oyster card, so should be able to use that as far as Victoria, then from there I think get a separate ticket to Rochester/Chatham etc.

P.
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:46 pm #8

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Chatham - then the easiest trip will be Picadilly line from T5 to Victoria station (change at Hammersmith as per post 2) and then the train from there. Or stay on the Picadilly line to St Pancras and then the train from there (though that is slightly more expensive).

use nationalrail.co.uk as your rail planner not trainline.

There really isn't any reason to use the expensive Heathrow Express as it won't save you much time at all but cost more.
UKtravelbear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:41 am #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLUK View Post
I do have a Oyster card, so should be able to use that as far as Victoria, then from there I think get a separate ticket to Rochester/Chatham etc.
Yes, definitely do get a separate ticket for that - Oyster and contactless are not valid out that far, so don't try and use them when travelling out from Victoria!

(This map shows where Oyster and contactless Pay-as-you-go can be used - that's the dotted-and-dashed line around the outside - essentially it's the sprawl of Greater London, with a few extensions beyond. Worth emphasising however that it cannot be used on Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains to or from Heathrow itself - for those you need a separate ticket.)
Mizter T is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 6:59 am #10
Original Poster

Thanks all,

So to just clarify, there is definitely an underground station somewhere relatively close in walking distance of the arrivals area in T5, so I can just walk out of the arrivals area, and get a tube from there, to in my case, directly to Victoria, using the Piccadilly Line.
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:21 am #11

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Yes it is very well signposted.

Take the Picadilly line to Hammersmith then just cross the platform to the District line for Victoria

(and just an update that the HEX and Connect train services will be included in Oyster / contactless from May 2018 after they have installed new ticket gates at LHR)
UKtravelbear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:44 am #12

To reiterate the point above, the Piccadilly Line service is NOT direct to Victoria - there is the one cross-platform change in Hammersmith.
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:32 pm #13

Quote:
To reiterate the point above, the Piccadilly Line service is NOT direct to Victoria - there is the one cross-platform change in Hammersmith.
...or Barons Court. Straight across the platform to the District Line.
chucko is offline Reply With Quote