Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > Lost laptop at security in JFK Terminal 7.

Lost laptop at security in JFK Terminal 7.

Old Jun 6, 14, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; United (Continental) Million Miler; Hilton Diamond

At 4:30 this morning, my husband left his laptop at security in Terminal 7 at JFK on his way to SFO. Didn't notice it was missing until he got to Sacramento many hours later.

He is trying to track it down and having no luck. The message on the TSA JFK Lost & Found number -- (718) 917-3999 -- refers callers to different number for United or British Air in Terminal 7: (718) 425-5722.

That 2nd number has a message from British Airways stating that if you were traveling on one of 1/2 dozen airlines -- neither United nor BA are mentioned! -- you can leave a message. Not clear what you should do if you were flying United.

My husband spoke to a United agent on the 1K line who eventually agreed to contact the United Club in Terminal 7; he let my husband know that someone named Renee would follow up within an hour. That was 3.5 hours ago. The agent did not disclose the Club phone number.

My poor husband is beside himself. Today was supposed to be a good day; he hit 100K elite miles. They have a pseudo-PreCheck at JFK, he's gotten out of the habit of taking out his laptop, and he just spaced out.

Anyone have any suggestions? Even the phone number to the Club at JFK would be a help.

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 14, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Very doubtful UA will be able to be of any help.
TSA has a huge number of laptops left at their checkpoints daily and TSA would be the correct avenue to pursue.
The TSA checkpoint will have no idea which airline your husband was using, so the BA vs United would be meaningless.
Old Jun 6, 14, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks WineCountryUA (we're actually on our way to Napa right now, laptopless).
The phone number to which the TSA line referred us called itself a "third party" service that is presumably handling TSA issues for Terminal 7. We will leave a message on there.

Meanwhile, my husband just heard from United...they are apparently trying to help.
Old Jun 6, 14, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVPG75K, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by mdf-nyc View Post
Thanks WineCountryUA (we're actually on our way to Napa right now, laptopless).
The phone number to which the TSA line referred us called itself a "third party" service that is presumably handling TSA issues for Terminal 7. We will leave a message on there.

Meanwhile, my husband just heard from United...they are apparently trying to help.
If it's any help the staff at UA in JFK are top notch. I am sure they will try to find out where it is if it's still there. Good luck-been there myself
Old Jun 6, 14, 6:44 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA is great about this. Use the third-party service. Presuming that the laptop wasn't taken by the next pax, they've got it. If you can provide the serial numbers and description and a Fedex #, TSA will overnight it to you.

In worst case, stop by TSA lost and found on your way back. Unlike UA, they catalog every item and enter it into a database. Laptops are easy because of their s/n.
Old Jun 6, 14, 7:19 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Tsa - tsa - tsa!

Agree, this is actually something that TSA does well. I have left a laptop and my passport at security and recovered both by going through TSA. They were amazingly courteous and helpful in both instances. In the case of the laptop I noticed my airhead move before departure and intercepted it just as they were about to take it to the central repository. I was able to identify it and they gave it back. With the passport i did not notice until the next day, but my frantic phone call was handled by a friendly and efficient agent who helped get it back to me.
Old Jun 7, 14, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Lost items are one place where I've had some great experiences with TSA. A few years ago, I left my laptop at the BOS C checkpoint after a pat down and didn't realize it until I was about to board to the plane. They said I had 5 min to find it. I don't think I'd have made it back to the checkpoint in time, but on my way there, I actually ran into the TSA agent who had done my patdown. She was carrying my laptop and desperately trying to find me. I've never been so happy to see a TSA agent as I was that moment!
Old Jun 7, 14, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM
Ditto. Let mine in Boston once. They sent it to me by Fedex. Very quick.
Old Jun 7, 14, 1:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver
Could someone please elaborate on the 'pseudo-Pre Check' at JFK T7? I've got a flight out of there on Tuesday, and don't want to get more confused than usual.
Old Jun 7, 14, 2:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Similar to other locations without a dedicated PreCheck lane; if you get three beeps at the scanner you are given a pass from the TSA agent that allows you to get an abbreviated form of security; laptop out of bag, but shoes on and WTMD instead of the Nude-o-scope.

My poor husband is beside himself. Today was supposed to be a good day; he hit 100K elite miles. They have a pseudo-PreCheck at JFK, he's gotten out of the habit of taking out his laptop, and he just spaced out.
I hope your husband doesn't beat himself up too much; I did the exact same thing at the same checkpoint a few years ago. Luckily, I caught my mistake while in the United Club and was able to go back to the checkpoint and get my laptop back. Hope you are able to get your property back and enjoy the rest of your trip in Napa!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 7, 14 at 2:21 am
Old Jun 7, 14, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Gold
Left my tablet on a JFK-LAX PS flight. Followed the procedure, but it was never recovered.

My new tablet, I put a sticker on it with my contact info (like a luggage tag).
Old Jun 7, 14, 11:04 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Phil Level View Post
Left my tablet on a JFK-LAX PS flight. Followed the procedure, but it was never recovered.

My new tablet, I put a sticker on it with my contact info (like a luggage tag).
+1 - This.

It really pays to put a sticker with your contact information on it onto valuables. The more ways to contact you, the better. If you are overseas, make certain that you provide country codes.

The bad guys can always find you. Here, it's the good guys you want to have call.
Old Jun 7, 14, 11:54 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
Could someone please elaborate on the 'pseudo-Pre Check' at JFK T7? I've got a flight out of there on Tuesday, and don't want to get more confused than usual.
Pre-check lite. No dedicated single screening lane for Pre so you your hand carry luggage goes through as usual (laptop out) mixed with non-Pre hand carry but you carry your boarding pass with you and can keep shoes, belt and watch on. Tell the agent where body scan is done you are Pre and they will send off to the side to the regular metal detector and skip the nude-o-scope.

At 4:30 this morning, my husband left his laptop at security in Terminal 7 at JFK on his way to SFO. Didn't notice it was missing until he got to Sacramento many hours later.

He is trying to track it down and having no luck. The message on the TSA JFK Lost & Found number -- (718) 917-3999 -- refers callers to different number for United or British Air in Terminal 7: (718) 425-5722.

That 2nd number has a message from British Airways stating that if you were traveling on one of 1/2 dozen airlines -- neither United nor BA are mentioned! -- you can leave a message. Not clear what you should do if you were flying United.

My husband spoke to a United agent on the 1K line who eventually agreed to contact the United Club in Terminal 7; he let my husband know that someone named Renee would follow up within an hour. That was 3.5 hours ago. The agent did not disclose the Club phone number.

Anyone have any suggestions? Even the phone number to the Club at JFK would be a help.

Thanks!
Good luck! The UA agents there are really good and if they cannot help your husband he still has a good chance going to the TSA lost and found there. Let us know how you make out.
Old Jun 9, 14, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

This happened to me at EWR on a recent trip. Same thing: terminal I went through had no pre-check and I was patted down and with the bins stacked, I forgot my laptop. TSA had it when I called 10 hours later after landing and a family member was able to pick it up the next day.
Old Jun 9, 14, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the tips and encouragement.

I am delighted to say that the United Club staff at JFK rose to the occasion. They got the laptop from BA and FedExed it to our hotel - it arrived this morning, in one piece. My husband knows he owes them big-time, and will proceed accordingly!

At least we were in Napa during all the uncertainty: plenty of wine to quell the anxiety!

As for the pseudo-PreCheck at JFK: I'll add to the other posters' explanation that security at this Location (Terminal 7) is often a very chaotic scene. Even though I'm there 2 or 3 Mondays a month, a combination of things throws me off my usual routine. The slightly altered rules (laptop out, but shoes on and liquids in your bag), the card they hand you to show that you're PreCheck, the presence (often) of foreign and sometimes confused travelers in tour groups, no separate PreCheck line, the crowded set-up right behind security: you REALLY have to pay attention. And I'm there at 4:30am - I can only imagine what it's like 1-2 hours later.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread