Go Back > > >
Old Oct 30, 17, 2:46 pm #1
Original Member
Original Poster

Another TOD upgrade whoopsie

This is even better than the offer I had a week ago at check-in for $199 to upgrade ORD-SFO for $199 but $439 to upgrade JAX-ORD.

I just booked a $200 one-way in coach from JAX-LAS in April. The First Class fare would have been $900. But when I finished the booking I was given the chance to upgrade the two segments for $1099 each, which would have given me a fare of $3100 to fly JAX-LAS instead of the original F fare of $900. What a deal
ajGoes likes this.
GeorgeJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:18 am #2
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I think we have a thread somewhere about the weird upfare pricing.

I've had it before where I booked a P fare to Europe (WAS-CDG was one I recall in particular, for $1500 or so), and at the time, UA was also selling 3-cabin F (via an A fare, IIRC, at $4500 or so)... and yet they tried to upsell me to F for the low, low price of $10k (each way--but they offered to "discount" it like $200 if I booked both legs for just under $20k).

It definitely seemed they were pricing the upsale on the differential from my fare to full F, even though they were selling discounted F at the time.
exerda is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:52 am #3
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's because the only people who call them "TOD's" are people on FT. It's not UA's RM strategy.

OP should have paid the $900 for F if he wanted F.

Makes no sense for UA to always offer a bargain. Otherwise nobody will purchase F.
Often1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:39 pm #4

Programs: BA Gold, United Platinum, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Makes no sense for UA to always offer a bargain. Otherwise nobody will purchase F.
I don't think that you understood the OP. He was just making fun at the "real good deal" he was offered.

One time I purchased a return Polaris Business flight to PEK for $4,000. The price for a return Polaris First to PEK was $6,000. I did not want to pay the $2,000 difference to sit in First Class. But, yet, as soon as I booked my flight, United offered me to upgrade to First Class for the measly sum of $12,000. Which I took as a joke like the OP seems to have done for his offer.
In2ishn likes this.
StuckinITH is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:01 pm #5

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
I only bite on the, "If you call w/i the next 2 mins, you will receive, NOT ONE, but 2 upgrades, for the same low, low price!" "But, you must call now!" "Operators are standing by!"
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Two Bee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:06 pm #6

Programs: UA 1K MM
Personally I don't do buy ups PERIOD. After all it is all about the miles. If I want F I either pay for it up front or wait and try to upgrade with certs or miles. Buying up later (to me at least) is a joke.
Dublin_rfk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 7:05 pm #7
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Quote:
That's because the only people who call them "TOD's" are people on FT. It's not UA's RM strategy.

The issue is that UA offers a buy-up which is to full F, when they are still selling discount F for sale at a far lower differential. That's an IT issue, not a deliberate decision by UA IMHO.
exerda is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 10:08 pm #8

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ View Post
This is even better than the offer I had a week ago at check-in for $199 to upgrade ORD-SFO for $199 but $439 to upgrade JAX-ORD.

I just booked a $200 one-way in coach from JAX-LAS in April. The First Class fare would have been $900. But when I finished the booking I was given the chance to upgrade the two segments for $1099 each, which would have given me a fare of $3100 to fly JAX-LAS instead of the original F fare of $900. What a deal
In2ishn is offline Reply With Quote