Go Back > > >
Old Oct 25, 17, 9:18 am #1
Original Poster

Out of state license

One day I plan to have a road trip with friends. I want to drive from Texas to Atlanta then Orlando. We live in California. If we rent a car in (let's say) Dallas, wouldn't our CA license be ok? If not what steps should be done? Like buying state licenses? I hope not.
bigvuth is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 17, 10:00 am #2

At Hertz or any of the major car rental firms, you can present a valid driver's license from any of the 50 states (or indeed most other countries, though that's not relevant to your situation).

If you think about it, many or most people in need of car rental are away from their home state, particularly at airport locations -- so it would not make sense to restrict rentals to in-state licenses. Most of the companies do have restrictions or surcharges for those under 25 years of age, though. Not sure if that would impact you, but it's worth noting.
cantabdad is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 17, 10:01 am #3
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Perhaps until CA secedes from the US, you're fine driving to Maine and back with your CA license.
Analise is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 17, 6:36 pm #4
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP, HHonors Diamond
The Constitution has something to say about this:
https://legaldictionary.net/full-fai...credit-clause/
cblaisd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 17, 8:24 pm #5
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not just the 50 states, but DC and the five commonwealths & territories !

Your state drivers license is valid, at a minimum, in all US territory.
Often1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 7:20 pm #6
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM - *Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvuth View Post

I want to drive from Texas to Atlanta then Orlando. We live in California.
I'd hate to think of the drop off charges Unless they happen to need to reposition a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvuth View Post

If we rent a car in (let's say) Dallas, wouldn't our CA license be ok?
Back in my road warrior days I rented cars all over US with my TX license. Including at least a dozen CA locations.

The only time I ran into a problem was when I tried to rent a car in Texas using out of town Texas address on my DL trying to do it with a debit card. CC was fine.
EmailKid is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 9:48 am #7
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Yes, unless its suspended for use in a jurisdiction by a jurisdiction other than the one that issued it and that too is possible. The validity may depend on the Drivers License Compact and some other factors.
GUWonder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 10:33 am #8

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Be sure to look into different rental companies and offered codes/discounts that would include things like multiple driver coverage (many car rental companies charge for more than one listed driver) & possibly some coverage for the car itself.

Are all drivers in this group over 25? the major car rental companies generally charge a fee for drivers under 25 but some do not or some waive the fee with a code associated with such organizations as USAA (for current & former military and their families).
Yoshi212 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 4:04 pm #9
cur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

...and canada, mexico, most of africa, most of europe.....japan with that stupid idp scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Yes, unless it’s suspended for use in a jurisdiction by a jurisdiction other than the one that issued it — and that too is possible. The validity may depend on the Drivers License Compact and some other factors.
this is getting on pedantic and of no use to the op. i have never heard of a case of a ca resident going to a ne, ma, nh rental car counter and being refused "because we no longer have a drivers license compact"
cur is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 4:18 pm #10
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cur View Post
...and canada, mexico, most of africa, most of europe.....japan with that stupid idp scam

this is getting on pedantic and of no use to the op. i have never heard of a case of a ca resident going to a ne, ma, nh rental car counter and being refused "because we no longer have a drivers license compact"
http://apps.csg.org/ncic/Compact.aspx?id=56

It’s been possible for a license issued in say CA or VA to not be valid in DC, for example as happened to people who may have had a few too many non-moving traffic violations that went unsettled in DC to people with CA or VA licenses. The DLC is not supposed to be used for non-moving related violations, and that has some implications for cross-state use of licenses.

It’s pedantic, but it may make a very material difference for some people looking to drive in another part of the US than the one which issued their driving license.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 1, 17 at 4:24 pm
Old Nov 6, 17, 11:07 pm #11

Programs: United Prem1K, AA EXP, Southwest RR, Alitalia Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, Marriot Gold, Hertz gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
The Constitution has something to say about this:
https://legaldictionary.net/full-fai...credit-clause/
Well, not to digress too much, but as I am sure you know the FF&CC has many complications based on licensure types, for example ;-)

but yes as others have noted OP, normally all 58 US driver licensure agencies (50 states, DC, five territories, DoD, and DoS) are good-to-go for all mainstream rental agencies. OP, you will be fine!

I have a non-Texas address on my Texas DL (and have for 17 years), which can cause some double takes or the occasional question about how to do it (change of address form ;-) ) but rental companies see it all the time, especially in areas catering to military/government rentals.

GUWonder, IIRC Tenn. is the only state not in the compact now right, or has it changed? Your link is not working for me on my phone at the moment.
FlyingHoustonian is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 12:38 pm #12
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
Well, not to digress too much, but as I am sure you know the FF&CC has many complications based on licensure types, for example ;-)

but yes as others have noted OP, normally all 58 US driver licensure agencies (50 states, DC, five territories, DoD, and DoS) are good-to-go for all mainstream rental agencies. OP, you will be fine!

I have a non-Texas address on my Texas DL (and have for 17 years), which can cause some double takes or the occasional question about how to do it (change of address form ;-) ) but rental companies see it all the time, especially in areas catering to military/government rentals.

GUWonder, IIRC Tenn. is the only state not in the compact now right, or has it changed? Your link is not working for me on my phone at the moment.
Im sort of stale on the matter, but for at least some time it was TN and WI still out IIRC.