Go Back > > >
Old Nov 8, 17, 4:44 pm #1
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Aspen or Park City, UT - newbie ski trip

Wife's bday is in xmas week and she would really like to learn skiing (or attempt) so I am thinking of taking her to either Park City or Aspen. Given that I have never been to either city or put on a pair of skis myself... I could use good advice.

Length of trip: 3-4 days (incl xmas weekend)

Aspen/ Snowmass area seems to be fairly well developed and looks like a trendy party town which can be fun. However getting there from DEN is a PITA... almost becoming a 4hr drive each way whereas Park City is less than an hour away. This almost takes a full day away from activities. Flying into ASE is turning out to be fairly cost prohibitive.

Park city is not cheap on flights either however it's a fairly big time saver given proximity to SLC. However, I am not sure if the area would be good for our trip.

Few concerns being...
1. Given I'll be there for xmas weekend, not sure if Aspen would be a better choice.
2. Availability of easy-peasy ski slopes.... ski schools, ski valet etc. I really need some hand holding here.
3. other activities if if attempting to ski turns out to be an epic fail
4. Restaurants etc on dec 24/25... which city would be better?

Would appreciate some advice.
carsnoceans is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:55 am #2

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
In Utah you have shuttles that take you to the different ski locations which are not that far from the airport.

Aspen from Denver ---you have weather issues in driving through the mountains. In Colorado you have other places to ski like Vail/Breckenridge area, Steamboat springs, and others.

I don't recall which place would be best for a newbie to learn how to ski. Some places don't have many entry level runs.

All these areas have small towns associated with them that have restaurants/things to do at night.

Christmas week is a big time for ski resorts where prices are inflated.
djp98374 is online now Reply With Quote