Go Back > > >
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:28 pm #1
Original Poster

WestJet does oversell flights, Plus to boot

I bought two Plus fare tickets YVR-YYC and onward 5-6 weeks ago. I checked us in last night for tonight's flight and we got boarding passes for our seats in row 2. As we were at the airport a little early, I decided to print off the boarding passes. We had been moved to row 10. I check with guest assistance and am told that Plus was oversold. The agent was very good and understood that we were Plus fare passengers, and both Golds as well. She made a call and was told to remove two people from Plus to accommodate us--neither had Plus fares, just Plus seats. She told us that it appeared that Plus was oversold. We were not able to be seated together, and thus will have to wait until we get onboard to see if someone is willing to switch seats so we can be in the same row.

The whole thing is puzzling as WS supposedly does not oversell flights. It's also annoying as the whole point of paying more for a Plus fare is to be guaranteed a Plus seat. How such a seat can be taken away after check in is even more perplexing. Overall, I'm less than impressed.
arf04 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 9:32 pm #2

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
They didn't oversell the flight. Sounds like an IT error where they oversold some plus upgrades at check in. Misleading title.
CanuckFlyHigh is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 11:13 pm #3
Original Poster

The guest services agent I spoke with told me that they oversold Plus. And that's what they did. Nothing misleading about the title.

How do you explain booting two Plus fare pax out of their seats after they've already checked in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
They didn't oversell the flight. Sounds like an IT error where they oversold some plus upgrades at check in. Misleading title.
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:07 am #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf04 View Post
I bought two Plus fare tickets YVR-YYC and onward 5-6 weeks ago. I checked us in last night for tonight's flight and we got boarding passes for our seats in row 2. As we were at the airport a little early, I decided to print off the boarding passes. We had been moved to row 10. I check with guest assistance and am told that Plus was oversold. The agent was very good and understood that we were Plus fare passengers, and both Golds as well. She made a call and was told to remove two people from Plus to accommodate us--neither had Plus fares, just Plus seats. She told us that it appeared that Plus was oversold. We were not able to be seated together, and thus will have to wait until we get onboard to see if someone is willing to switch seats so we can be in the same row.

The whole thing is puzzling as WS supposedly does not oversell flights. It's also annoying as the whole point of paying more for a Plus fare is to be guaranteed a Plus seat. How such a seat can be taken away after check in is even more perplexing. Overall, I'm less than impressed.
In this circumstance going by what you said which I have highlighted tells me 2 passengers were offered Plus at checkin and upgraded paying an addcoll. As they were not ticketed in Plus they were not purposely oversales but maybe an IT glitch.
Ace Cdn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:25 am #5

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Plus, as per your title, they didn't oversell the flight. You, and all other passengers got on.

Back to the Air Canada Forum for you...
CanuckFlyHigh is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:31 am #6
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn View Post
In this circumstance going by what you said which I have highlighted tells me 2 passengers were offered Plus at checkin and upgraded paying an addcoll. As they were not ticketed in Plus they were not purposely oversales but maybe an IT glitch.
Maybe so. The fact that this can happen, IT glitch or not, tells me that there is a risk in buying a Plus fare. We would never have caught the error had we not decided to print our BPs and had instead relied on digital BPs. I find it very odd that you can be booted out of a seat post-check in in the first place. I can imagine that at the gate during boarding it would likely have been too late to sort it out. As it was, when I asked about the possibility of changing seats, the GA took a while took awhile to comprehend that I was talking about a Plus fare and not a Plus assignment and/or buy up. The flight was delayed and boarding was slow, so there would likely have been no remedy. The whole point of paying for the fare is to have the guarantee of the seat versus paying less and seeing what you can get, including a buy up at check in.
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:04 pm #7

Programs: Westjet Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Marriott Gold, HH Silver, Aeroplan for Esso only
How is there a risk in buying a plus fare? It was an IT glitch, you caught it, they corrected the situation, life moves on. There's no substitute for keeping a close eye on your flight arrangements, and checking in for your flight at the earliest opportunity. I do the same with any airline.
Arthurrs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:45 pm #8
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
How is there a risk in buying a plus fare? It was an IT glitch, you caught it, they corrected the situation, life moves on. There's no substitute for keeping a close eye on your flight arrangements, and checking in for your flight at the earliest opportunity. I do the same with any airline.
What don't you get? We were checked in and had seats assigned in Plus. We get to the airport and print BPs and discover we were reassigned to row 10. Why should I need to double and triple check my seat assignment, when I've checked in the night before and hold a valid BP on my mobile phone? It's an absurd assumption. How many times do you think a person should verify that they are in the seat they've paid a considerable premium to be in before you decide it's truly not their fault that they've been moved out of it? 1, 2, 10 times? Thus, there is a demonstrable risk to a Plus fare that you might not end up in the Plus seat you paid for. It happened to us, so it can happen, and it most certainly should not be possible regardless of an IT glitch.
Old Nov 6, 17, 1:39 pm #9

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have seen an issue where for a moment at the time of seat selection at check-in the seats in plus appear to be available and if you click on a Plus seat before it disappears the seat will remain selected.
Error 601 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:51 pm #10

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
I encountered this 2 weeks ago when I was buying a last minute ticket (i.e. <2 hours to departure) from SFO-YYC. The website was selling Plus, but Plus had no seats left. Not impressed by WS IT at all.
rehoult is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:15 pm #11
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehoult View Post
I encountered this 2 weeks ago when I was buying a last minute ticket (i.e. <2 hours to departure) from SFO-YYC. The website was selling Plus, but Plus had no seats left. Not impressed by WS IT at all.
That is interesting. So our experience is probably not a one off glitch. I wondered what was up as when the agent called in to her support line she worked her way through the pax in Plus, identifying which were Plus fare and Golds vs Plus fare and not Golds as they tried to figure out who should get booted. I'm mostly unhappy about the fact that if I hadn't been extra cautious we wouldn't have known until boarding and that would have been too late, thus negating the whole point of buying a Plus fare.
Old Nov 6, 17, 11:20 pm #12

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus,
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf04 View Post
That is interesting. So our experience is probably not a one off glitch. I wondered what was up as when the agent called in to her support line she worked her way through the pax in Plus, identifying which were Plus fare and Golds vs Plus fare and not Golds as they tried to figure out who should get booted. I'm mostly unhappy about the fact that if I hadn't been extra cautious we wouldn't have known until boarding and that would have been too late, thus negating the whole point of buying a Plus fare.
All that glitters is not GOLD....
IT glitch or not, your point is very valid. Sounds like an oversell to me......
james dean is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:48 pm #13

Programs: AC E35K, WS Gold
Another case of overselling Plus

Back in July I booked 2 Plus seats for YVR-PVR this November. There being 2 daily flights in each direction (Saturday), we booked the earlier flights in each direction as we are travelling with a 19 month old and figured that would work better for his schedule. All was good, we selected seats no problem.

About a month after booking we get a new itinerary and WS has moved the flight schedules around such that the earlier flight is now the later flight in one direction. After a call to WS there is nothing they can do as the now earlier flight only has 1 seat available in Plus.

Fast forward about a month after the first flight change and we get another itinerary, this time the other direction has now changed and we're on the later flight in both directions. Again I call in and they tell me that they had oversold the Plus section by 5 seats and moved the last 5 pax to book. They say it doesn't matter that I am Gold.

I didn't bother to write in and complain as I didn't see there being a solution that would put us on the earlier flight. Had this been AC saying this I would have been skeptical.

The annoying thing is that I believe we paid about $100 more to take the earlier flight on the return, of course I don't have a screen shot when I booked so don't know how I can prove that. Any chance WS would have a record of the price of other flights on the date I booked?

It appears WS IT is just as good as AC!
shore9 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:20 am #14

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus,
Quote:
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post

After a call to WS there is nothing they can do as the now earlier flight only has 1 seat available in Plus.

They say it doesn't matter that I am Gold.

I didn't bother to write in and complain as I didn't see there being a solution that would put us on the earlier flight. Had this been AC saying this I would have been skeptical.

Probably buried in the WJA fine print (STCWN) subject to change without notice, or STCWLMN subject to change with last minute notice....arrggg!!
james dean is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:50 pm #15

Programs: Aeroplan 35k, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
Back in July I booked 2 Plus seats for YVR-PVR this November. There being 2 daily flights in each direction (Saturday), we booked the earlier flights in each direction as we are travelling with a 19 month old and figured that would work better for his schedule. All was good, we selected seats no problem.

About a month after booking we get a new itinerary and WS has moved the flight schedules around such that the earlier flight is now the later flight in one direction. After a call to WS there is nothing they can do as the now earlier flight only has 1 seat available in Plus.

Fast forward about a month after the first flight change and we get another itinerary, this time the other direction has now changed and we're on the later flight in both directions. Again I call in and they tell me that they had oversold the Plus section by 5 seats and moved the last 5 pax to book. They say it doesn't matter that I am Gold.

The annoying thing is that I believe we paid about $100 more to take the earlier flight on the return, of course I don't have a screen shot when I booked so don't know how I can prove that. Any chance WS would have a record of the price of other flights on the date I booked?

No such thing as an IT glitch. It is a bug in the system and until it is fixed, the same problem under the same conditions will reoccur for someone else.

As for WS IT and AC IT being equally as good, I think they both happen to different problems but there is still odd things with both systems.
Fiordland is offline Reply With Quote