NEXUS and Redress Number

Old Jul 4, 17, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, AB OWS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz Gold
NEXUS and Redress Number

Apparently my name now matches someone on a database and Air Canada flags me each time I fly. I cannot do OLCI nor Kisok. Each time, the agent was able to clear me by swiping my passport or nexus card without actually talking to anyone (although their screen says to call). One agent was able to add my aeroplan number to a database, I can do OLCI with AP on file. However, i credit all my miles to TK....

Should I also get a redress number? Will that solve the issue? The agent at the airport suggested I try.
I already have Nexus and I do get TSA prechek after I get my BP from the counter.

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Apparently my name now matches someone on a database and Air Canada flags me each time I fly. I cannot do OLCI nor Kisok. Each time, the agent was able to clear me by swiping my passport or nexus card without actually talking to anyone (although their screen says to call). One agent was able to add my aeroplan number to a database, I can do OLCI with AP on file. However, i credit all my miles to TK....Thanks!
Where are you buying your tickets from? If your Known Traveler Number is included with the ticketing info when you're making a reservation (wherever you're buying the ticket, e.g. travel agency or website), there's a decent chance that you would avoid the check-in troubles.

Are you ticketing with your full name (including middle name if applicable) as a direct match to your NEXUS card?
Old Jul 4, 17, 10:18 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
When you check in with AC, there is a place to put in your NEXUS PASS ID instead of a passport. Have you thought of using this tactic? It may well clear up some issues.
Old Jul 4, 17, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, AB OWS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
Where are you buying your tickets from? If your Known Traveler Number is included with the ticketing info when you're making a reservation (wherever you're buying the ticket, e.g. travel agency or website), there's a decent chance that you would avoid the check-in troubles.

Are you ticketing with your full name (including middle name if applicable) as a direct match to your NEXUS card?
Yes, I bought directly from AC.com with my APIS info updated.... I entered both my KTN (nexus ID) and my passport #. And all names match.

Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
When you check in with AC, there is a place to put in your NEXUS PASS ID instead of a passport. Have you thought of using this tactic? It may well clear up some issues.
I will try use Nexus ID for transborder flights next time... however, will that cause problem with my global entry -since global entry accepts passport only.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 4, 17 at 11:12 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jul 4, 17, 12:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I will try use Nexus ID for transborder flights next time... however, will that cause problem with my global entry -since global entry accepts passport only.
Do you have both Global Entry and NEXUS? If your Global Entry card expires later than your NEXUS card, your NEXUS card is null and void. Conversely, if your NEXUS card expires later than your Global Entry card, then your GE card is null and void.

In any case, both of your GE and NEXUS card should have the same Known Traveler number.
Old Jul 4, 17, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by 1KChinito View Post
Do you have both Global Entry and NEXUS? If your Global Entry card expires later than your NEXUS card, your NEXUS card is null and void. Conversely, if your NEXUS card expires later than your Global Entry card, then your GE card is null and void.

In any case, both of your GE and NEXUS card should have the same Known Traveler number.
1KChinito is correct. By definition, only ONE of the two cards is valid. A single individual cannot hold both GE and NEXUS cards - only the most recently issued card is valid.

Examples: Lets say you hold GE. Then, during the GE card validity period, you decide to sign up for Nexus. Once you receive Nexus, your GE card is invalid.

Or, here's another example. Lets say you hold Nexus. Then, for whatever reason, you decide to apply for Global Entry (even though Nexus already includes Global Entry). Once your Global Entry application is approved, your existing Nexus membership becomes invalid.

There are several examples here of individuals who hold Nexus and then mistakenly apply for Global Entry, not understanding that this action invalidates their Nexus membership and is completely unnecessary. It is an easy mistake to make.

From reports here, the only way to fix this is to reapply for Nexus. And, once you are in this state, it is not possible to reapply for Nexus using the GOES web site - instead, you must reapply for Nexus using the paper application form.

http://cpi-web.ru/forum/trust...e-renewed.html
Old Jul 4, 17, 12:39 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is entirely possible to be a member of a TTP such as Nexus and to still wind up on a watch list. The reasoning for not revoking the TTP membership is that DHS does not forewarn people.

Yes, do apply for a redress number. Presuming that there is nothing more than you say, DHS will verify that you are the "good" not the "bad" guy.
Old Jul 4, 17, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Club
Yes, I bought directly from AC.com with my APIS info updated.... I entered both my KTN (nexus ID) and my passport #. And all names match.

It shouldn't for two reasons.

1) In CBP computers your GE/NEXUS PASS ID is tied to whatever passports you have provided to them.

2) NEXUS Cards may be used at any Canadian US CBP Preclearance Location:

Originally Posted by US CBP
Can I use my NEXUS card at the Global Entry kiosk?

The NEXUS card will be recognized by the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations only. When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
So you should be fine using NEXUS card as your ID for AC flights.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It is entirely possible to be a member of a TTP such as Nexus and to still wind up on a watch list. The reasoning for not revoking the TTP membership is that DHS does not forewarn people.

Yes, do apply for a redress number. Presuming that there is nothing more than you say, DHS will verify that you are the "good" not the "bad" guy.
If he was on a watchlist, why would the AC rep be able to clear it by swiping his passport or NEXUS? It's more probable that he matches the name of someone on a watchlist and that the in-person check-in presents criteria that allow them to differentiate him from the person of interest.
Old Jul 4, 17, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold,Club Accor Conci
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

This, my partner both has a redress number and a TTP number. Admittedly I'm not sure its necessary to use his redress number anymore (He's had it for years now) and when I occasional to forget to put it on his bookings he doesn't have any trouble.
Old Jul 4, 17, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I do not have separate GE, just Nexus.
I will try to get redress and see how if it helps.
Old Jul 9, 17, 8:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
That is not correct. GE machines at preclearance locations universally accept NEXUS cards. Further, inputting the NEXUS number into your AC reservation is an alternate to putting a passport in, and you are allowed to use your NEXUS as ID on any flight into Canada - something any AC agent knows, though only about 25% of US airline agents know.

Thanks guys. I do not have separate GE, just Nexus.
I will try to get redress and see how if it helps.
You don't need separate GE. NEXUS gives you GE.
Old Jul 10, 17, 10:03 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
When this happened to DH

Simple act of applying for a redress number eliminated the problem. He had GE, never received a redress number, but a couple of months after he applied for one, he stopped getting flagged.
Old Nov 15, 17, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Just to report back - I applied for Redress and it did work. As long as I have both KTN and redress in my PNR, I am able to OLCI and get TSA-PRE.
phltraveler and Newbie2FT like this.

Search this Thread